Least favourite genres

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Let's face it. We've signed up for a website that particularly focuses on Square-Enix. This forum is part of a network of websites devoted to Square-Enix and the plethora of RPGs of all types out there. I can perhaps safely assume that we are all RPG fans in some shape or form, regardless of how far someone rolls with the WRPGs versus JRPGs discourse.

So we will likely all have that in common. But what about other genres? Any particular genres that you categorically loathe? What is your reason for disliking a particular genre(s)?

----------------------------

I am not a fan of:

1) Sports titles

Examples: FIFA 20XX, Tiger Woods PGA, Madden

Why? - well, I'm not as sporty as I was back in high school. At the time I would actively play hockey and netball in a team, while nowadays I've simply taken up jogging in the weekends. Even back then, I don't think I would have actively played these games either. Football (soccer to you) is only worth getting into when there's loud nationalism going on, like at world cups. Frankly, nothing about FIFA interests me. Golf in real life is as dull as ditchwater, let alone playing it.

2) Racing titles

Examples: Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, Forza

Why? - I do drive. I started driving pretty early on, and attained my licence days before turning 18. But racing just doesn't grip me. Mario Kart is the exception, but that's when we used to have local multiplayer split screen with friends and the ridiculous power-ups. Otherwise, a serious simulation of a racing game has no pull factor for me. I've given it a chance with Gran Turismo, but I was hopeless at it. No interest since.

3) Fighting titles

Examples: Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, Super Smash Bros.

Why? - It pains me to include this one, because back in the day when my father avidly played on his old SNES, Street Fighter was actually one of my first ever games along with Zelda: A Link to the Past. And I did enjoy my time with it, even though little me couldn't win a fight to save my life. But similarly with racing games, it became a point when I consciously knew that there was nothing about the genre able to pull me in. I may give one a go for ten minutes, but the lustre will quickly vanish. You can give me a look at the latest Super Smash Bros. and I still won't raise an eyebrow - except of course, when they put in the Wii Fit trainer as a playable roster character.

4) Real-time strategy

Examples: Total War, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer

What the hell? Why?! - uhh, well, umm. Okay, I don't really dislike them. I just haven't played them before. Not really been active in the PC scene, you see. I hope to rectify this, because it's a genre I definitely want to get into. But until then, you can't like what you haven't tried. Nor can you dislike what you haven't tried, but but - okay, just pretend I've failed this under "DON'T KNOW" instead of putting it on this list. Why am I putting this on the li- oh just shut your noise hole!

5) Military FPS

Examples: Call of Duty, Battlefield, Medal of Honor

Why? - Technically this isn't a genre, but a prevalent form of FPS popularised beyond comprehension after Modern Warfare. And I don't care about them. That doesn't mean to say I don't like shooters. I do enjoy shooters. TimeSplitters 2 is one of my favourite games ever, for one. Bulletstorm is a brilliant arcade-like FPS that I wish we can see more of. And they're fun. They're delightfully OTT and they don't spank you in the buttocks with the samey, insipidly uninspired follow-this-man-and-shoot-up-foreign-dudes nationalist chest-banging that current CoD and Battlefield single-player campaigns will always feature. Additionally, I've not much interest in CoD multiplayer either. I don't have that side of me who enjoys playing competitively online.

6) Horror titles

Examples: Silent Hill, Amnesia, Fatal Frame

Why? - I'm easily scared. I tried to play Project Zero once (Fatal Frame) once before. Why? ;______;

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
Racing and sports. FPS used to be on that list too until I played Borderlands. In racing I cannot, CANNOT steer worth a damn. Yet in Saints Row or GTA, I have no problems...then again those games allow you to completely wreck your car and mow down tons of pedestrians, but that's beside the point. For sports, not interested, though I do see the appeal for sports fans,

cosmicblizzard

Some author guy
Oct 1, 2013
New Jersey
www.amazon.com
Not a huge fan of first person shooters, but I have trouble getting into first person stuff in general. There's just something about the viewpoint that prevents immersion, when it should probably be the opposite.

ImminentBread

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 28, 2013
It's funny how we all hate sports games.
I also dislike tower defense games since they're pretty much strategy games, except boring; where's the fun in just building towers everywhere? I also believe that MOBAs are a blight upon the face of the earth, but that's mostly because I'm terrible at them. Also because their communities are somehow the most toxic and hateful you can find in gaming.

Fleur, I recommend the first Rise of Nations if you want to get into real-time strategy. It's an absolute masterpiece.

Ack, MOBAs, I knew I forgot something. I hear about the insane steep learning curve that new players have to face before they can be at least somewhat capable in a match, but I personally don't see the appeal in putting so much effort and time to get to grips with something that I suspect I will find a lot more frustration with than enjoyment.

It isn't helped by the fact that I have a flatmate who gets on League of Legends and plays it all night. The moment a match isn't going his way, he throws a sort of terrifying temper tantrum in his room.

darkbahamut

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 26, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
I'm picky with genres. Having said that, the genres I avoid might have the odd rare gem that I like.

1) Sports titles: I don't know why they get released year after year. There are only minor updates to them from what I can see. If you want to play a sport realistically and with perfect frame rates, take it up in real life.

2) First-person shooters: Probably the most over-saturated genre that has come from last-gen, and this is especially true on consoles, where I feel uncomfortable playing them. CoD4 and L4D I enjoyed, though, but they're both genuinely good anyway (and I had them on PC).

3) Real-time strategy: And by extension, MOBAs. I find these games to be very stressful. Some are interesting, but I cannot look at two (or more) parts of the map at once. MOBAs have some of the most brutal online communities too, which is a huge put-off for me.

4) Racing games: I used to like these types of games, back on the original Playstation, Ridge Racer being notable. Having said that, Gran Turismo never appealed to me, and a lot of racing games nowadays tend to emulate that game. Mario Kart, like everyone else, is the only racing game I ever play right now.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
I honestly don't dislike most genres... in fact, most I'd put on this list (like FPS and rogue-likes) I've warmed up to the past year or so. That said, there's still a couple left...

Overly Difficult Platformers - Not Mario or anything like that, but games like Super Meat Boy: Essentially titles meant to test and break your resolve. I don't mind platformers that give me a decent challenge, nor platformers that make such an absurd challenge optional (kinda like VVVVVV), but ones that are just there to grind your gears and raise the death count are infuriating.

MOBAs - Watching my boyfriend play them for about a year and his descent into LoL madness, I think I'll pass. Also, the insanely high learning curve and typically unfriendly communities are big turn-offs.

I honestly don't dislike most genres... in fact, most I'd put on this list (like FPS and rogue-likes) I've warmed up to the past year or so. That said, there's still a couple left...

Overly Difficult Platformers - Not Mario or anything like that, but games like Super Meat Boy: Essentially titles meant to test and break your resolve. I don't mind platformers that give me a decent challenge, nor platformers that make such an absurd challenge optional (kinda like VVVVVV), but ones that are just there to grind your gears and raise the death count are infuriating.

MOBAs - Watching my boyfriend play them for about a year and his descent into LoL madness, I think I'll pass. Also, the insanely high learning curve and typically unfriendly communities are big turn-offs.

I was unable to finish Super Meat boy.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
The funny thing is... I can't think of one genre I haven't really loved at least one game in. I suppose the closest for me would be sort of tank control survival horror, but even then, I then just recently fell in love with Resident Evil Revelations. Didn't like MOBAs... until I actually played one. Go figure!

I don't tend to bother with sports games, but there are particular types of sports games - arcadey ones, like, say, NBA Jam - that I think are great for couch multiplayer.

Amiti

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
Sports games are one of my least favorite. I'm terrible at playing them and I rather kick a soccer ball or shoot a basketball than have a button do it for me.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
I don't think I really hate any genre. It really depends on the game. For racing, I like Mario Kart, F-Zero but don't care for the more realistic stuff like Froza and Grand Turismo. They're very boring to me. Same with sports, although I haven't played anything from this genre in a while.