Lightning may return in a future Final Fantasy!

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
According to Siliconera's interview with Motomu Toriyama, Lightning may appears as a guest in a future Final Fantasy.

I'm happy that she may appear once more. But this will bring unwanted hate/bashing from internet denizens (you know).

That means the world created at the end of Lightning Returns is Noctis's world?! So she may get a role in Final Fantasy XV? Did you noticed that female Dragoon in previous trailers? Her costume resembles a lot from Lightning's Equilibrium garb. And also that black-hair girl. May she be Lightning? I would be dead if Stella is actually Lightning in disguise ROFL.

Just my speculations. But I absolutely love to see Lightning again.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
That means the world created at the end of Lightning Returns is Noctis's world?! So she may get a role in Final Fantasy XV? Did you noticed that female Dragoon in previous trailers? Her costume resembles a lot from Lightning's Equilibrium garb. And also that black-hair girl. May she be Lightning? I would be dead if Stella is actually Lightning in disguise ROFL.
That’s more of a fan’s wet dream then speculation.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
Maybe in Dissidia or side games but I dont think we will see her in future mainline FF games,it wouldnt make sense but who knows,with Toriyama everything is possible:D
Moreover, he's part of the group who ensuing that "Final Fantasy Y is a Final Fantasy-themed product" and he can always say: "NOT ENOUGHT LIGHT-SAN! WHERE'S MY WAIFU!?" ;P

I still think that Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (haven't had the chance to play LR) were unnecessary and Final Fantasy XIII alone was enough for Light.
I can't really imagine Light appearing in any FF outside of social games or the Dissidia series. They should give more attention to other trilogy characters (Vanille, anyone?) as they appear nothing more than pushovers now.

A future Final Fantasy as in a spinoff? Like whatever future mobile endeavours they're cooking up, as well as things like Theatrhythm? And perhaps Kingdom Hearts 3 Sure, I'm reasonable about that. I have no reason to argue against that.

But an appearance in a future mainline game would simply be stupid, unless she's just an optional boss DLC or just satirically thrown in as a random civilian or poster as meaningless fanservice. I'll be very disappointed if no one in Square has the self-control to refrain from dropping her in for any semi-significant role when her story is fully done and dusted. Future mainline games are their own stories, independent from preceding ones. Let's not forget this.

The whole thing about Lightning being so "popular" feels manufactured and disingenuous anyway. Move on from her.

Sep 26, 2013
The whole thing about Lightning being so "popular" feels manufactured and disingenuous anyway. Move on from her.
Well, she was initially designed to be a female Cloud. That should tell you that they wanted to make her popular and the next best thing in Final Fantasy.

I really want to see the market research that has brought them to the conclusion that she’s a popular character.

Last edited:

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
[...]

I really want to see the market research that has brought them to the conclusion that she’s a popular character.
It's not the 'market research': it's that Squeenix's philosophy is "in more media she appears, thus her popularity grows", which is not always the case, but that's today's Squeenix's 'market research'. Just look at Final Fantasy X and Lulu: I think Lulu is more popular than Yuna for example, but she has far less recognition from Square than Yuna, solely for being one of two protagonists of Final Fantasy X. So you see: it's not really about "fan reception", but rather "story lead".

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
So, Lightning confirmed for FFXV. I hope not. I don't dislike Lightning but I've had enough of her.
I agree,in FF13 she was ok,in FF13-2 she made some good appearances and it felt fresh having a new team,but now in LR it gets really boring having a whole FF game focused only on one character,it lacks the teamwork spirit that previews FF games had,after all the most enjoyable part of the gameplay in FF13,FF13-2 was the coordination of your party members and making them use different roles as a team
LR feels so empty with only one character for me at least,and the fact that they have overused her(FFXIV fate,Dissidia,main role and cover in 3 FFgames)has hurt her image
I think they should be more carefull with how they promote their characters, they need fresh ideas like FF XIV ARR,BD and FFXV
Just an opinion guys :cookie:

Last edited:

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
I agree,in FF13 she was ok,in FF13-2 she made some good appearances and it felt fresh having a new team,but now in LR it gets really boring having a whole FF game focused only on one character,it lacks the teamwork spirit that previews FF games had,after all the most enjoyable part of the gameplay in FF13,FF13-2 was the coordination of your party members and making them use different roles as a team
LR feels so empty with only one character for me at least,and the fact that they have overused her(FFXIV fate,Dissidia,main role and cover in 3 FFgames)has hurt her image
I think they should be more carefull with how they promote their characters, they need fresh ideas like FF XIV ARR,BD and FFXV
Just an opinion guys :cookie:
I haven't played it, but from what I heard Crisis Core is an excellent game even though it only has single playable character. Still, it was a 'newcomer' to the Compilation in regards of playable character and his life was greatly expanded as opposed to mentions in Final Fantasy VII sequels. Or am I missing something?

hui43210

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Ottawa, On
I like Lightning and think she deserves a spot in the line of great FF characters.... But putting her in another mainline FF title would be incredibly stupid. Square would be wise to move on.

Sep 26, 2013
It's not the 'market research': it's that Squeenix's philosophy is "in more media she appears, thus her popularity grows", which is not always the case, but that's today's Squeenix's 'market research'. Just look at Final Fantasy X and Lulu: I think Lulu is more popular than Yuna for example, but she has far less recognition from Square than Yuna, solely for being one of two protagonists of Final Fantasy X. So you see: it's not really about "fan reception", but rather "story lead".
To add to this, Lightning symbolizes what SquareEnix is today. A company that focuses on “cool” and “style.” It doesn’t matter if the lead character is good or bad as long as she looks cool and has style. That’s the kind of main character they want to market heavily and shove down our throats. Can't really market a character like Vanille as the face of Final Fantasy.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
To add to this, Lightning symbolizes what SquareEnix is today. A company that focuses on “cool” and “style.” It doesn’t matter if the lead character is good or bad as long as she looks cool and has style. That’s the kind of main character they want to market heavily and shove down our throats. Can't really market a character like Vanille as the face of Final Fantasy.
Vanille will always be my lead in Final Fantasy XIII (it's pretty obvious who is the narrator and who started all this mess in the first place), Lightning barely has anything to do with the plot aside of strenthening Serah's "Miss Plot Device" thing, she does more background character development than story lead. While we're still at it: I'm not entirely keen on what Square did to poor Vanille in the sequels (they just pretended that Vanille didn't accept her past by saving Cocoon with Fang at the end of FFXIII and she was all like "I must atone for what I did!" >.< ).

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
I agree with you guys' opinions. Lightning is undoubtly cool and stylish character but Square Enix really need to move from her. It's not too late.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Focus grouped into oblivion, right.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
I miss the days when Final Fantasy was entirely segmented from title to title.
me too man...i just wish they moved on and done with sequels and create new FF titles again like old times was, i just wish ff16 is agnis philosophy but.. i think that will be a dream forever.Why not make somebody agnis philopsophy petition?

Last edited:

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
I agree with you guys' opinions. Lightning is undoubtly cool and stylish character but Square Enix really need to move on her. It's not too late.
Yeah i loved her in FF13 but after that everything is ruined not just lightning the story too,its time to move on lol did i ever tell you i hate FF sequels? :)

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
As far as my personal taste goes, Lightning is the least appealing FF protagonists in recent memory. The most I ever liked her as a character were from my original impressions from the initial XIII trailers (prior to its release). Her original XIII appearance is also the only design I remotely like, even so I don't find it all that appealing. I also really didn't like the way they handled her changed over each game. It felt forced and unconvincing. With every entry in the XIII saga they swapped her in and out of some many narrative and visual extremes. It did not feel like a natural progression or growth of her character. Over time she ultimately became a mary-sue, and I really dislike that type of character.

Toriyama insisted that she was a very 'human' character, but to me her development felt really artificial right up to turning her into a virtual doll even. In all fairness I see that he really invested a lot of time and attention to developing Lightning, but the end result wasn't that good.

The most I care to see of Lighting is in guest appearances in cross over titles like Dissidia, Kigndom Hearts, or Theatrhythm. I doubt she will be in XV at all. Nomura has made it clear enough that XV doesn't have anything to do with the XIII games (their only connection is in the FNC mythos), we should know this by now.