Lightning Returns OST Discussion (Use Spoiler Tags Please)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I am very interested to hear your opinions of the Lightning Returns OST with regards to the music itself. Which tracks sound amazing? As far possible avoid references to in-game play w.r.t music.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Directly from my post on Nova Chrystallis:

"Listened to the soundtrack CD 4 "Bhunivelze". I think this better than born anew, fighting fate, nascent requiem, invisible depths and even heart of chaos. Its an amazing theme for the final boss fight of the ffxiii series. Some things to note: 2.15 and 2.23 we have references to the ark and even the usual boss theme from ffxiii 1 with the piano motif playing in the background quickly for a very brief instance. The organ music throughout is definitely on my buy list and the organ solo at the end is magnificent. Again at 6.18 we have a reference to the ark while the organ music is played more strongly. Particularly of note are fragments of the fighting fate theme found everywhere with of course the upbeat version of fighting fate making a surprising entrance at 11:20, this is probably one of the climaxes of the theme. The music sounds very royal and almost cathedral like, probably to accentuate Bhunivelze's status as a "god". However the short moments where the choir's tone is slightly darker and serious and the organ music especially highlighted is what I found to be the main "sweet spot" of the music i.e consider 3:32 and 10:08. The accompanying drums, trumpets? , synthesizers, etc is put brilliantly together. Lovers of ffxiii 1 's music especially the more Latin and orchestral pieces will find the various allusions pleasing. Honestly, just amazing!"

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Isn't there already a non-spoiler LR thread?
Kagari has a tread "Who is your favourite final fantasy character" and analogously we can create a new tread who is your fav supporting character for LR?

In the same way this tread is about LR returns but not the general non-spoiler thread, its about the original sound track. (I have the whole OST)

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
Bhunivelze was the only good music in this game all other just boring and i don't like them i liked FF13 original musics heck they was the best of all final fantasy titles for me.
I liked the vocal musics more than this LR style musics...And i hope the future FF titles have vocal musics.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Bhunivelze was the only good music in this game all other just boring and i don't like them i liked FF13 original musics heck they was the best of all final fantasy titles for me.
I liked the vocal musics more than this LR style musics...And i hope the future FF titles have vocal musics.
Bhunivelze's theme
is actually an amalgamation (mix together) of some of the boss themes of ffxiii and also some original themes and it is indeed a a great piece.
Yes, some more vocal scores would be great as there are a few "bland" pieces in there like Lumina's theme which was slightly disappointing. Although Noel & Yeul's theme was arguably the best of all the vocal pieces, especially the piano accompaniment. Do you perhaps like jazz pieces? I thought bluesy chocobo CD 2 nr 15 was excellent even though there were no vocals involved.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I completely adore and love "High Voltage".
At first I thought "oh please no!" but around 40 seconds the melody started playing and it got to be a good piece, was surprised in the end. Here around 2:43 when the synthesizers came to the front I was pleased. Since you liked this style did you also like perhaps the track " ambivalence" CD 1 track 4?

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Personally, I don't love them like I loved XIII-2 tracks. But that's just a little. I like them. For city music, Luxerion and Yusnaan. Ending shattered my heart especially track 12 Humanity's Tale and track 13 Credits - Light Eternal -.

Last edited:

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Personally, I don't love them like I loved XIII-2 tracks. But that's just a little. I like them. For city music, Luxerion and Yusnaan. Ending shattered my heart especially track 12 Humanity's Tale and track 13 Credits - Light Eternal -.
Track 13, the ending role is especially beautiful and is very reminiscent of the track from ffxiii CD 4 nr 17 - miracles as well as the theme from "the promise" ffxiii 1 track 2 CD1. What I loved about the this track in its incorporation of many themes including a slow sung version from heart of chaos (ffxiii 2) and The Ark. The trumpets of track 12 CD4, the track you mentioned, were very beautiful at the beginning of the track. What was ur favourite track from ffxiii 2?

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
My favorite tracks so far:

Savior Words
Death Game
Ouroboros Fiesta
Graveyard of Dreams
High Voltage
Bhunivelze

The overall feeling of the soundtracks is very different.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Directly from my post on Nova Chrystallis:
"Listened to the soundtrack CD 4 "Bhunivelze". I think this better than born anew, fighting fate, nascent requiem, invisible depths and even heart of chaos. Its an amazing theme for the final boss fight of the ffxiii series.
NO SPOILERS thread
Spoils the final boss in the first post. Way to go.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
At first I thought "oh please no!" but around 40 seconds the melody started playing and it got to be a good piece, was surprised in the end. Here around 2:43 when the synthesizers came to the front I was pleased. Since you liked this style did you also like perhaps the track " ambivalence" CD 1 track 4?
Yes, I kinda like this style, but whenever it is done like the LR OST. You know...as long as it is not composed as a singular sound playing all the times with slight pauses. I also love "Savior of Souls" and all arrangements of the "Chocobo Theme". "Snow's Theme ~Final Words~" is so beautiful as well.

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
Track 13, the ending role is especially beautiful and is very reminiscent of the track from ffxiii CD 4 nr 17 - miracles as well as the theme from "the promise" ffxiii 1 track 2 CD1. What I loved about the this track in its incorporation of many themes including a slow sung version from heart of chaos (ffxiii 2) and The Ark. The trumpets of track 12 CD4, the track you mentioned, were very beautiful at the beginning of the track. What was ur favourite track from ffxiii 2?
hehe, I liked almost every tracks. Most favorite are piano-featured.

- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Overture
- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 ~Wishes~
- An Arrow Through Time
- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 ~The Future~
- Eclipse
- Village and Void
- Oathbrand
- Serah's Theme ~Memories~
- Lightning's Theme ~Unprotected Future~
- Closing Credits

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I do not expect it to slip when you specifically make a thread without spoilers. "Hey guys, come here, I have a thread without spoilers! Wooops, let me throw a huge spoiler in the first post."
hmm..., the OST has some spoilers in it, for instance as any final fantasy fan knows we have the tracks on the last CD as indicative of the final boss(es) battles.
This is definitely the case with ffxiii 1 &2 and LR. So if we are discussing the OST I assume the commenters have listened to or at least glanced over the list of tracks. Logically if you see "Bhunivelze" as track 9 of CD 4 (ending track 14) you assume it has to be the final boss or linked to final boss music. So technically we are discussing here how the OST sounds and what songs you liked or disliked. We are not discussing in-game events. An example for even better clarity:
CD1 track 19 has title Noel and Yeul. Okay so we know Noel and Yeul is in the story (like Bhunivelze) but we discuss the music of track 19 and not the events surrounding Noel and Yeul. We don't care what/why/how about them, only the music. In the same way, Bhunivelze is the final boss. Did I mention why or how this came about? No. Did I mention what happens in battle during fight? No. Plus to be honest, the leaked achievement list hinting at his presence has been out for some time and in many discussion forums this topic came out. Need I justify anymore? I have made detailed notes of each track so that we can have a good discussion, please join in.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
People make mistakes. It happens. I'm sure he/she didn't mean to spoil anything.
No point in making a big deal out of it.
I gave a detailed reply to him which justifies my actions clearly.
Thank you for defending me in my absence :). If you would like to join the discussion, what was ur fav track of LR?

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
hehe, I liked almost every tracks. Most favorite are piano-featured.

- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Overture
- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 ~Wishes~
- An Arrow Through Time
- FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 ~The Future~
- Eclipse
- Village and Void
- Oathbrand
- Serah's Theme ~Memories~
- Lightning's Theme ~Unprotected Future~
- Closing Credits
Excellent taste in music! Those are indeed very beautiful piano arrangements!! The theme from Noel and Yeul LR CD1 track 19 is has a deeper sombre characteristic than its ffxiii 2 counterpart, its worth crying over like I did, its that beautiful! I terms of track from LR that you did not like, which are they? Desert lullaby CD2 track 3 comes to mind...