Lightning Returns OST Discussion (Use Spoiler Tags Please)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I liked the music I heard in the Japanese demo, especially the Boss theme.
Which Japanese demo? I know there are 2 so far with music from soundtrack. Which boss theme did you like? The one with Bhunivelze or the one you get with fighting sub-bosses like Zaltys? Sorry for questions, but I can make accurate comments if I know the precise tracks.

Last edited:

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Well, I just didn't think it was fair. Like I said, I'm sure you didn't mean to. But you're welcome, in any case! :)
Favorite track, huh?
That's hard...err, I'll have to cheat and list a few, because I can't decide my top favorite. The entire OST is really good. Now, I think the track names are a bit different than what I have here (someone officially translated them from the list I saw? Dunno.) so you might not recognize a few.
  • "Lightning Returns"
  • "Chaos"
  • "The Savior's Legend - The Chosen One" & "The Savior's Legend - Grand Finale"
  • "The Dead Dunes - Scorching Desert"
  • "Snow's Theme - Last Request" (I think it's actually "Last Words")
  • "Nova Chrysalia"
  • "Lightning's Theme - Distant Light"
  • "The Last Surviving Wilderness - Wildlands"
  • "Luxerion"
  • "Epilogue"
Honestly, I like just about all of the tracks. If I had to maybe choose one, just one, it would have to be the theme, "Lightning Returns". Every time I open up the main menu screen it just gets you pumped, you know?
The opening theme in the title menu is I think a good move away from the piano opening themes we got in ffxiii 1&2. I dont know how to put it in words...its almost kind of like an "inviting" theme making you excited. The up-beatness of it certainly matches the more action oriented combat style of playing. "Nova Chrysalia" is the one with the trumpets I the beginning CD 4 track 12? Its very a very beautiful theme. Dont you just love the piano run in the Saviour's Legend grand finale? Its what makes that piece! Haha, I dont know how you feel about this one, but the track desert lullaby CD2 track 3 I thought was about the only let down of this OST...but getting back to things we love, the bluesy chocobo CD 2 track 15 was another star piece, if you like jazz type music that is.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I think he means "Chaos" which is the song that plays when you fight the red dragon.
Ah I see, thanks*. Help me if I wrong here, but in the background of "choas" is it a type of tin or metal being hit? Almost like hitting a large empty can?

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, I love the new theme. My feelings about it are exactly like the new logo. It's different than the past two games (except for the Amano artwork for the logo) but at the same time it's a good change. I liked the piano themes, but I think this new theme fits better, like you said.

Well, "Nova Chrysalia" is track 18 on Disc 2, and it plays in Luxerion and Yusnaan in the mornings before 8:00.

Ahh, yesss! I loved that song, with the major FFXIII nostalgia running through it the entire time it played.

"Desert Lullaby" was alright, not a big fan of the Engrish though. I mean, it's expected but I purposely avoid the Dead Dunes at the times when it plays, believe it or not. xD So yeah, I wasn't a big fan of it.

D'oh, I forgot about "Bluesy Chocobo!" All of the chocobo themes in this game are great, honestly.
Wow our translations are different! I have track 18 CD 2 as "easy life" ?! Time for a rename!!
If you purposely avoid the dead dunes when dessert lullaby plays and you liked the chocobo tracks...listen if ur a girl will you marry me one day? Haha, guess we both have good tastes in music. Although off topic, the new logo is very eye-catching, you owe it to urself to get the necklace with that logo, its very stylish for men and women! (I know, I have one!).

getting back on track, If there is one thing every final fantasy needs is good chocobo music! Since you have the game, does the musoc accurately reflect the environment when ur playing?

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I'm not sure. It kinda does have that clangy sound to it, though.
Some of it could be electronic, though.

Ugh, I wish they would film the orchestra that is recorded for the OST. >.>
Yes!!! Someone that is hitting the nail on the head!! IT WOULD BE SUPER AWESOME TO SEE THAT ORCHESTRA LIVE!! I know they performed "Fang's theme" from ffxiii 1 In Vietnam by the philharmonic orchestra since it was that good!

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
I've got my eye on the necklace, don't worry. ^^
I had Serah's necklace from FFXIII until a friend-not-friend-anymore dropped it on our tile floors and shattered it. -_-
So I'm definitely getting the LR necklace soon as I can. It looks gorgeous.
Wow, that is mean of them!! Serah's necklace is beautiful. Thank you for all the conversations! Time to sleep on this side of the world, tired. Chat again sometime, enjoy LR game in mean time :)

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
-Snipped for Spoilers-
You assume it was logic I was aware of LR spoilers before I came into this thread. If I see a no spoiler thread it is logic for me to assume there are not going to be any spoilers at all, let alone one spoiling the final boss. You argue it doesn't matter much because you only say it's the final boss and little else, but a spoiler is a spoiler; and while it would be wrong for me to accuse you in a spoiler thread, this is not the case. It's good to see a detailed explanation of a track, but have a little decency and do not assume things for other people.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
All right, edited the name of the thread and added spoiler tags to all spoilers up till now. Unfortunately, Jaundré, gonna have to rule that you're in the wrong here. Yeah_93's posts may be a bit aggressive, but you can't post "No Spoilers", and then spoil something blastantly and not expect someone to get upset. This is the reason we have spoiler tags on this forum, and I must ask that you use them from now on when discussing story-context-sensitive tracks such as the one mentioned in your second post. I changed the title of the thread because it is impossible to have a discussion about the OST of a game series like Final Fantasy without some amount of story spoilers. Use the tags, and please remember that not everyone has read the English tracklist or frequented places where discussion of the tracks or story has already taken place.

Thank you for your time.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
Which Japanese demo? I know there are 2 so far with music from soundtrack. Which boss theme did you like? The one with Bhunivelze or the one you get with fighting sub-bosses like Zaltys? Sorry for questions, but I can make accurate comments if I know the precise tracks.
As Sapientia just mentioned, I meant "Chaos" the theme for the battle against the Red Dragon (the demo is from the Japanese PSN). I kinda spoiled myself and heard the boss theme you just mentioned and yes I like that one too. ;- )

Also Thank you Sapientia for answering the question!

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
All right, edited the name of the thread and added spoiler tags to all spoilers up till now. Unfortunately, Jaundré, gonna have to rule that you're in the wrong here. Yeah_93's posts may be a bit aggressive, but you can't post "No Spoilers", and then spoil something blastantly and not expect someone to get upset. This is the reason we have spoiler tags on this forum, and I must ask that you use them from now on when discussing story-context-sensitive tracks such as the one mentioned in your second post. I changed the title of the thread because it is impossible to have a discussion about the OST of a game series like Final Fantasy without some amount of story spoilers. Use the tags, and please remember that not everyone has read the English tracklist or frequented places where discussion of the tracks or story has already taken place.

Thank you for your time.
I understand the conflict that my thread generated because I assumed a certain degree of prior knowledge that not everyone would have. I had no interest in the details of the story since I want to experience those 14 Feb, so I thought a general discussion on the OST might be fun where we discuss the music itself but not plot details with regard to a particular track. However I do admit being in the wrong. I realize as you pointed out that not everyone here as been following our discussions elsewhere and hence they might not be as informed to details which we take for granted. Thank you for fixing this thread, will definitely use spoiler tags where necessary. Will go and apologise to Yeah-93.

Sorry to for the mess I created!

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
You assume it was logic I was aware of LR spoilers before I came into this thread. If I see a no spoiler thread it is logic for me to assume there are not going to be any spoilers at all, let alone one spoiling the final boss. You argue it doesn't matter much because you only say it's the final boss and little else, but a spoiler is a spoiler; and while it would be wrong for me to accuse you in a spoiler thread, this is not the case. It's good to see a detailed explanation of a track, but have a little decency and do not assume things for other people.
Right, one of the moderators kindly fixed the issues with this thread which I created and now there is no more conflict. I am truly sorry for the misunderstanding, I realize now that what I took as "common knowledge" might be in fact still be foreign to others. On other forums we have discussed spoiler topics for a while so what I took as relatively "old" knowledge might still be a big spoiler to someone like you. So I am sorry for the mess. If your still up to it, I would welcome you to join the discussion on the OST of LR (Lightning Returns)

Last edited:

Somber

SOLDIER Second Class
Nov 22, 2013
This is my favorite tracks list. Really sorry that it's rather long. I just excluded many tracks in order to be short. Super badass OST!

Lightning's Theme - A Distant Glimmer -
Chaos
Crimson Blitz (very nostalgic)
The Savior’s Words
Noel & Yeul - The Promise -
Bandit Gang Monoculus
Fang’s Theme - The Boss -
K.O. (it reminds me of Historia Crux)
The Last Surviving Wilderness
The Wildlands
Sunset Path
The Savior
Chocobo Returns
Sazh & Dajh (first part is fun, last part is sad)
Awaiting the Celebration
City of Revelry (Disco + Jazz = Badass)
High Voltage
Lumina's Theme
Sneaking In
Snow’s Theme - Final Words -
The Song of the Savior - Grand Finale -
Nova Chrysalia
Endless Lives
The Angel's Tears
Lightning's Theme - Radiance -
Meeting You
(Boss Theme)
Claire Farron
Humanity's Tale (I cried listening to it)
Credits - Lightning Eternal - (I'm gonna miss Lightning Saga T_T)

Last edited:

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
This is my favorite tracks

Chaos
The Savior’s Words
Bandit Gang Monoculus
The Wildlands
Sunset Path
The Savior
Chocobo Returns
Awaiting the Celebration
High Voltage
Lumina's Theme
Sneaking In
Nova Chrysalia
Endless Lives
The Angel's Tears
Meeting You
(Boss Theme)
Claire Farron
This is my favorite tracks list. Really sorry that it's rather long. I just excluded many tracks in order to be short. Super badass OST!

Chaos
The Savior’s Words
Bandit Gang Monoculus
The Wildlands
Sunset Path
The Savior
Chocobo Returns
Awaiting the Celebration
High Voltage
Lumina's Theme
Sneaking In
Nova Chrysalia
Endless Lives
The Angel's Tears
Meeting You
(Boss Theme)
Claire Farron
What I like about your list, it is has very varied styles in and basically sums up the highlights of the OST. The nostalgic feel of Crimson Blitz reflects the central melody around which it is based from blinded by light. It is beautiful with the violins. I didn't cry with Humanity's tale, although it was moving, but Noel and Yeul's theme...goodness the piano in the background...tears all the way. I am avoiding listening to ending credits, keeping that one apart for 14 feb.

Jaundré

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 8, 2013
So. Judgement day...
FFXIII, XIII-2, and LR.
Which OST is your favorite?
Heya sister, love your avatar pic of lightning!
To be honest...I truly can't say. I haven't played LR so I can't appreciate how the music relates to the scenes and environment. But...if I had to pick it would be ffxiii2. The thing about LR is the excessive amount of percussion instruments which puts me off, although the OST is no doubt brilliant. I thought ffxiii was simply brilliant in al aspects but its lack of vocal tracks compared to ffxiii2 that made me choose ffxiii2. (I love vocals!)

The main theme for the series,the promise, is so interwoven into the all three OST's that I honestly feel as if all 3 of them are not seperate but rather that they form a "family" given the many similarities.

So judgement: ffxiii2, but purely on my personal tastes.

I wish secretly though that all 3 OST's would be taken and compiled into one album: FFXIII Trilogy OST. That would be Christmas for me!

Your thoughts about this?