Lightning Returns sells 277k first week in JP

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I think it's normal... And to be honest I was expecting that. However, we should not forget two things.
1) PSN downloads are not in these numbers, which is important as more and more players tend to buy games this way. Well it's obvious of course that sales can't reach the XIII-2 ones!
2) LR is the second sequel. More sequels means less sales, and I assume that SE expected that too imo.

I think that SE should have learned their lesson by now and that we need single main title FF games! I really loved the XIII series and I can't wait for LR. But sequels are tiring! Many fans hated the whole story and how FF has moved on, and I'm definitely not one of them. But I will be very disappointed if I read a "To Be Continued" on my screen at the end of FFXV... I prefer having a FFXVI after that, than a FFXV-2...

Not surprised. The writing was on the wall when FFXIII-2 's first week only managed to shift a third of what the first game managed to do. And given how much the budget seems to be for LR, Square surely must have seen it coming as well, though I suspect they didn't anticipate it to be this lukewarm.

My only concern with this, is that some bonehead on the executive panel looks at this and deduces that the console market has declined, rather than the generally dissipating interest in further FFXIII games, and therefore so must the focus and the output for home console software. Square, this is not an invitation for you to go even deeper into the mobile market at the expense of other formats.

And damn, that is one big schadenfreude party on NeoGAF, probably as expected. And to think people once called me an insufferable hater on my other forum. They've evidently not seen GAF.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Famitsu (Enterbrain) sales on PS3: LRFF13 = 301k

I dont know if includes digital sales.

I'd say that SQEX would be in a worse situation if it wasn't for XIII games. FFXIV was a huge failure and the costs of production of ARR and XV are probably enormous. They needed to make money (and fast), so I think the sequels kinda helped to maintain the company.

Last edited:

BoN

Yevonite
Sep 26, 2013
Thailand
re-ffplanet.blogspot.com
Just as we expected. More sequels or spin-off means less sales. It's not main title. (That's why Versus has to change to XV)

277,082 not included psn download version. It should be around 350k-400k if we included. That's ok.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
I've heard that the 360 sales were around 2.5k (Whoops, forgot the decimal), which is around the same as the first week sales for the 360 version of XIII-2. Still looking for a source. Also, not sure what's causing the disparity between the Famitsu numbers and the 4gamer numbers since as far as I can tell nobody is claiming to have hold of digital sales numbers. This is about what I expected for the first week, though; A little over half the initial sales of the previous game. The long-term sales are what I'm personally more interested, since this game seems to have done away with most of the snippets people didn't like from the first two games. All that really remains is story and returning characters, and if you didn't like those there was no way your mind was going to change at this point.

All in all, not remotely surprised by these numbers.

7z7

Balamb Garden Freshman
Nov 17, 2013
South Africa
This is kinda sad. I understand the drop from FFXIII but it is quite a drastic drop from FFXIII-2. You would think that if you going to be getting yourself a copy of FFXIII-2, you simply cannot stop there. In my opinion this was a great game, and I enjoyed the ending to FFXIII-2 and could not wait until I got the next sequel. Maybe sales will increase :confused: It is a pity that sales have to drop so drastically with sequels, I seem to really enjoy the idea :(

Alleo

Yevonite
Nov 25, 2013
I do hope that the sales increase but still it´s not that surprising. It´s the second sequel not a main game. And in the end if you didn´t like the other two games then you won´t buy the last one. Like Ehren I´m more interested in the long-term sales. Maybe some people are still unsure if they should buy the game or they´ll wait till it´s cheaper. The thing that saddens me the most are the comments on various forums. I don´t understand how you can be happy that they didn´t sell that much. I mean I also disliked some games but I would never wish that they should not exist..they may not be for my taste but other people enjoy them. They make it look like everybody hates the trilogy but that’s not true. Why just not ignore it...

hui43210

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Ottawa, On
Can't say I'm surprised, not sure what the thought process behind making this a trilogy was, only super nerds like myself will buy part three I'm thinking.

Varnis

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Australia
I'm not really surprised...As much as I've enjoyed the FFXIII games, the fandom has more or less voiced their dis-tastes for this universe, and if anything I couldn't expect LR:FFXIII to meet FFXIII-2's numbers, just as the latter couldn't meet FFXIII's number.

Basically if your game's content is dependent on the story alone, the 'sequels' are only going to get lower sales as it goes along, since the only sales you're going to guarantee are from the players who were invested in the last 2 games...And judging from the reception of FFXIII-2's Ending...I doubt many people even cared about the XIII story afterwards

Sep 26, 2013
What these numbers tell me is that Final Fantasy XIII sold well due to the power of the brand and not so much the quality of the title itself. It also sold well because it was the first numbered Final Fantasy title on a next generation console. If FFXIII was really that good, then FFXIII-2 and LR:FFXIII would have performed better. There would have been a greater interest in them.

Final Fantasy X sold 1,749,737 copies in its first week in Japan. Its sequel, Final Fantasy X-2, did 1,472,914 in its first week. That tells me that FFX was received very well and a lot more people were interested in a sequel, even though it sold less then its predecessor when all was said and done. Can’t say the same for FFXIII. Interest in a sequel was never big to begin with.

It’s simple. If the first game is good, then there will be greater interest in a sequel and people would be more accepting of its existence. If the first game is bad, then people won’t care about the sequel and move on to something else, which is what millions of people did with the FFXIII saga.
I do hope that the sales increase but still it´s not that surprising.
Previous Final Fantasy games in Japan have shown a sharp sales drop in their second week.
It's already on track to sell worse then FFXIII-2.

Fans that want this game to fail, I question how much they actually care about the series.
A lot of the comments like "I am so happy that this piece of crap has been rightfully flushed" certainly come off as very mean-spirited and vindictive in tone, but let's be fair, most of the people I wager, are actually looking forward to, and loudly want, FFXV. The relatively low opening sales of LR would seem to suggest to them a hopeful relief of Square-Enix taking this to heart, and moving on - preferably in another direction - to something more favourable to them. I think it's quite clear that they still largely do care about the series, but the FFXIII games simply don't accommodate this vision.

Of course, this does mean a ton of people immediately dismissing LR as a piece of turd without having played a minute of it and - I suspect a good number on GAF who have never previously posted regularly in LR-related threads, but happily chimed in to the schadenfreude thread - perhaps don't know much about it besides Lightning and the fact that Toriyama is once again behind it. Yes, it seems unfair, even to me, as someone who recently did climb down a bit from that soapbox and willing to be more open-minded and willing to give something a try, but I suppose that's just the strength of Lightning as the symbol of an unfavourable press towards the first game coupled with seeing the series dragged out into three games with the next installment still so distant.

Furthermore, with such drastic first-week drops from FFXIII-2 onwards, I wonder how this will affect Square's decision to handle the FFXV "Epic" sequels. I suppose this can depend largely on how FFXV itself is received, and remembered, so it will be an opportunity to see whether that will have a decisive effect, or whether FF fans are simply growing fed up with direct sequels.

EDIT#1: Having said most of that, I'm not too sure why there is a need to celebrate it. Sure, someone may hate FFXIII and Lightning and can't wait for FFXV, but it's not like there's going to be a fourth game. Perhaps if Square was daft enough to consider a fourth FFXIII game, but they've clearly ended it, so...eh, I dunno. Schadenfreude can be weird...

EDIT #2: ...aside from laughing at how SE's got what they deserved. But what has SE visibly got out this? A probable modest profit given the small budget of the game, and Toriyama essentially getting his way in finishing the story? Lost goodwill in the company? But people still want FFXV. Guiz, what are we celebrating about, exactly?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Fans that want this game to fail, I question how much they actually care about the series.
They cared enough to voice their concerns and vote with their wallet.

Furthermore, with such drastic first-week drops from FFXIII-2 onwards, I wonder how this will affect Square's decision to handle the FFXV "Epic" sequels. I suppose this can depend largely on how FFXV itself is received, and remembered, so it will be an opportunity to see whether that will have a decisive effect, or whether FF fans are simply growing fed up with direct sequels.
It's not going to matter how it's received. If a sequel happens, it will be because they don't want all those created assets going to waste and it would be a lot cheaper and faster to make then making something brand new from ground up. If they care about the brand, they wouldn't dare do a sequel unless the first game has a positive public perception and isn't polarizing like FFXIII was.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
Well, X-2 didnt had the "FF sequels sucks stigma" because it was the first sequel to be released. After X-2 and the compilation of FFVII (which the games/movies barely reached the sales of FFVII), the fanbase already had a pessimistic view of spin-offs. But yeah, the reception of FFXIII also influenced the sales, and I believe its sequels were the solution for SQEX to make quick money and compensate for the failure of FFXIV 1.0 and the huge development time of FFXV.

Oct 5, 2013
Care as in, have a little respect and consideration for fellow fans. In other words, haters shouldn't be such assholes to anyone that likes the FFXIII series. If you care about a series, surely you can at least have a bit of maturity not to be such a jerk to people and bash a game endlessly, right? That share the same interests in a gaming series?
Did you see NeoGaf? If you haven't, then I suggest you don't. It's a disaster zone in the LR sales thread.

A lot of the comments like "I am so happy that this piece of crap has been rightfully flushed" certainly come off as very mean-spirited and vindictive in tone, but let's be fair, most of the people I wager, are actually looking forward to, and loudly want, FFXV. The relatively low opening sales of LR would seem to suggest to them a hopeful relief of Square-Enix taking this to heart, and moving on - preferably in another direction - to something more favourable to them. I think it's quite clear that they still largely do care about the series, but the FFXIII games simply don't accommodate this vision.
That doesn't excuse the kind of behavior. There are still fans of the series and as a community I think it's downright disrespectful to go into every thread made just to make a post that doesn't contribute to anything.

There has to be a point where you just make peace with things and let them go, cynicism doesn't benefit anyone.

And it's honestly tiresome. I go to Gaf for my gaming news and whenever there's a XIII thread it's almost anything but. It's either someone mentioning it's perceived short-comings in opinionated detail (therein comparing to XII because of it's "amazing" dialogue and world blah blah) and they usually say the same thing with different words.

Or it's some drive-by post. "Oh lol dem textures". "Oh look a PS2 game". "Lightning is such a shit character" and so on.

Or it's some goddamn fight between those who love the series trying to defend it and slipping up, and detractors looking for every minuscule detail to be cynical about it.

What bothers me the most however, is that there's a really avid fan of the games and he constantly gets hounded for it and made fun of. He's constantly cornered into slipping up. Just leave him alone. It's good that SOMEONE is actually positive about games, unlike most of us.

As if we hadn't heard all of that before. Multiple times. In thousands of threads. XIV is back. XV is coming. KH3 too. It's time to let it go.

(If you couldn't tell, I'm pretty annoyed. Gaming communities shouldn't be so crap to each other. )

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Both sides have extremes. One that doesn't recognize any good aspect of the game, the other that doesn't (constructively) criticize any aspect of the game. Still doesn't change the fact that lower sales of this magnitude means less interest in this series. I'm glad it's over.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
"Far as I'm concerned NeoGAF is as bad as GameFAQs. A bunch of haters that are almost always arses to anyone that likes FFXIII. I stopped using it back in 2011."

Trust me, Neogaf is worse than Gamefaqs.

somni

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 26, 2013
I'm not surprised in the slightest, and really most shouldn't be.
The "Lightning saga" has become less and less popular among fans with each entry. The fact that they managed to finally end it, is best for the series.

Although flawed, I feel the original XIII was the most sincere and solid effort out of the bunch. Maybe it was due to the bigger team, or a bigger budget, or significantly longer develop cycle.
The presentation was at least consistent, for what we thought at the time was a self contained story. The writing took a hit with each new entry, further muddying the waters. The energy behind it felt almost cynical, or at least not as sincere. It was SQEX in its least flattering light.

We all know the story at this point. I at least respect their decisions for dragging it out this long. Having to make back that much money after investing in resources is understandable.
Although I wish the creative approach was different and more bold. Rather than, being marketed and calculated by numbers and demographics.

It's finally a closed book, and everyone can move on for hopefully greener pastures. FFXV and beyond.

Last edited: