Mario Kart 8

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Nice, nice. DKC is one I was eager to get, but wanted to wait for a good price for the system. £199 was a steal in the end with MK8 and the free game bonus.

Not sure which game to choose, but might settle with NSMBU, since I'd prefer a disc copy of Zelda. Must pick up DKC eventually.

It's been worth it for this game alone, to be fair.

Sep 26, 2013
Is it indeed a great game! Although it's not Mario Kart with out the stupid cheap shit. Been playing 100cc and I have been hit by blue spiky shells several times already at the finish line. I rarely get the horn to block it.

If you loved DKC: Returns, then you'll love Tropical Freeze. Challenging game too.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I'm getting the hang of it now. So good.

I do have some minor complaints about certain things. It's stupid how you have to back out of an online room to change your character/kart. Even the host has to close him own room if they want to change. Not sure what Nintendo was thinking having them ordered backwards that way.

Sometimes the red shell beeper will sound and the icon appear, as if it's coming to hit you, but if you use the rear view mirror, it's actually targeting the person behind you. Other times, it really is coming to get you, but odd how it shows up when it's actually targeting someone else.

Also, sometimes you will fire a red shell intending to hit the person in front of you, but even if you're a good few yards behind them, it will go straight passed them and target the next person along. Seems you need to be a lot further back sometimes.

No statistics menu to see how many coins you've got so far, most used characters, etc. No settings menu to alter little things.

I even find it difficult to know which characters I've beaten cups with so that I can get all the Miiverse stamps. In the stamps menu on the gamepad, I can hardly tell the difference between the three baby girls, so I'm not even sure which ones I've done it with and who I haven't. Game needed a simple menu with their names next to the stamps. Have learned to write them down as I go now.

Not a fan of the battle courses at all. Poor decision to do away with proper battle arenas. A new Block Fort and Double Deck would have been awesome. Shame, because they actually brought back the knockout free-for-all in this - the way battle should be.

Ugh, another little annoying thing is having 'View highlights' as the default option after a race. It's hard not to keep mashing A to go to the next race, so it's a nuisance to get used to!

Hope they patch it up a little bit and add proper battle arenas and some better characters. Really want Dixie Kong more than anything.

Apart from that, though, love it!

Last edited:

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
My only con with this game is battle mode. It's terrible. All they did was take 8 tracks and spread everyone out. Takes forever to find someone. It feels like Nintendo ran out of time and couldn't make well thought out arenas or something.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I am shocked at battle mode.

Prior to MK8's full reveal, I had been clamouring for a proper return to the knockout free for all battle mode for years. When it was announced for MK8, I couldn't believe it - so happy. Then you actually play the damn thing, and getting rid of battle arenas turns out to be one of the worst things they've done. It's killed it completely.

On the one hand, I honestly believe they ran out of time with a few things, and ended up going the lazy route. The crap character list and clone additions (baby Rosalina, Pink Gold Peach), no trophy ceremony, and the complete lack of real battle arenas make me think that.

But if that was the case, I really think they should have just done remakes of old arenas like the awesome Block Fort and Double Deck from MK64. Those two were perfect free for all arenas. Now, we have these massive courses that take forever to find people, and it's just crap as hell.

One of my first battles in MK8 was on the Sherbet stage, and I didn't get hit or hit anybody else for the entire match. It was gross and boring as shit. Seriously hope they patch some real arenas in.

I've drawn up a list of quite a few things I want fixing, actually.

Last edited:

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Not only I bought the Wii U just for this game, I seek out the MK8 bundle (which was surprisingly difficult to find in Canada) and got it before it was sold out everywhere. I'm loving every minute of this game (well, aside from the frustrations I get when I get red shelled right before the finish line by some punks!!!) I am so glad that I've got the bundle as well, I wouldn't want to play this game not using the tilt shift function and the "steering wheel", it makes the game a bit more difficult but worth the experience. I can't remember the last time I have such a big grin on my face whenever I play the game.

I might have mentioned before in other threads long ago, but I am a true Nintendo fan. My first system was the Super Famicon and I have every generation console and handheld (except for the Virtual Boy). After the N64, I've lost a lot of passion for Nintendo's home console, I get the systems and just leave it to dust. I am happy that Wii U is getting some exciting games coming up.

Two DLC is coming out for MK8 and I think Nintendo is doing it right to keep the momentum of the game!

Each Add On Content pack will contain two new cups, each with four courses, which, in total, increases the number of available courses by 50 percent. The Add On Content packs include classics like Wario's Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, as well as new courses, some taking place in the worlds of The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing. New vehicles will also arrive with each pack, including the Blue Falcon kart representing the F-Zero franchise in the first AOC pack.

Mario Kart 8 Pack 1 - Released: November 2014

Pack 1 includes:
  • 3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link
  • 4 Vehicles
  • 8 Courses
Mario Kart 8 Pack 2 - Released: May 2015
Pack 2 includes:
  • 3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser
  • 4 Vehicles
  • 8 Courses
As a bonus for purchasing both packs - as a bundle or separately - you can get eight different-coloured Yoshis and eight different-coloured Shy Guys that can be used right away.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Pre-ordered my DLC and been playing as the Yoshis and Shy Guys a little today.

Very good move from Nintendo, and well priced. Hope they continue it after the May update, though.

Disappointed the so-called Zelda X MK8 pack only has one Zelda character - Link. Shoulda included Zelda and Malon (I know others would say Ganondorf but sod him). I know it has a Triforce cup, but still. Seems odd to bundle other characters in there. Even the AC X MK8 pack has Dry Bowser. Shoulda put the new Mario characters in their own pack, put three Zelda ones in Zelda pack, and three AC ones in AC pack.

Ah well. Hope they just continue adding to this game, get battle courses up there, and add Dixie Kong ASAP.