Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Anybody playing this wonderful game? I can't get over how gorgeous the whole thing looks. More to the point: Mr. Drippy is flippin' awesome, mun! There aren't very many Welsh accents in games, but I am so happy they went with a Welsh voice actor for Drippy (Steffan Rhodri of Gavin & Stacey fame, if you didn't know!).

I love the childlike innocence Ni no Kuni exudes, making me think this would be a great RPG for a youngster to start out on. Although I personally have been finding the boss battles tough so far! Either I need to study the mechanics a bit more, or start grinding!

I hope to spend more time with this over the coming weeks, but it really is a lovely traditional JRPG.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
I actually started to play this and got to the pig city or whatever, but then I had to give it back to my friend. It was pretty cute, and I loved the voice acting. Music is typically fun Ghibli-style stuff, and Dripp amuses me.

Ciel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
I played it earlier this year. It was truly a wonderful experience. I am not into games with kid characters in general, but this one kept me interested all the way through. Would be nice to see Level-5 to do another collaboration with Studio Ghibli. Not necessary a sequel, but something else in their style.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
I've played about 8 hours of it, until other games got in the way. It's pretty awesome, and the battle system's pretty unique. Honestly, I'm still a tad shaky on the overall plot (not sure why I feel that way, but I do), but it really is a charming little game. I have to get back in it sometime.

Oct 5, 2013
Ni No Kuni has such nice charm. Specially in the first hours or so. It feels like a genuine Ghibli film. It has gorgeous visuals too.

The game can appeal to all ages, but I'm not sure if younger kids will stick around for a game that can be pretty long. I guess it varies from person to person.

My problem with the game, isn't the game itself, though. It's reviews and people that elevate it to some god-tier level as one of the best RPG's. It's the hyperbole that's off-putting. Surely Ni No Kuni has amazing visuals, serviceable and charming music, cute characters and cute story (which I found really, really nice)

But the BEST RPG. I'd say no. At the end of the day, what I think really matters is whether the game delivers or not. And it does.

Eliotlienthal

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 27, 2013
Ni no Kuni is such an amazing game! I bought it right after the release early this year and it was definitely one of my favorite jrpg experiences so far. Absolutely stunning graphics, very relatable characters, amazing ost and battle system as well. Couldn't expected more from a game that involves Ghibli and Level 5. Really hope they make another collaboration on PS4 o/

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I've just finished Ni no Kuni and I must say that I have some mixed feelings about it. Here comes my mini-review.

The first hours of the game are pure magic. The art style and music are really amazing and make it feel like playing through a Ghibli movie. The world map is gorgeous and the whole game has this undeniable charm.
However, it also has many weak points. The characters are rather flat. The story is fairly simple and imho not very engaging. Despite the amazing beginning, the middle 20-25 hours are pretty much a borefest. Voice acting is very good but I'm disappointed at how little of the game's dialogue was actually dubbed. And it really contains a ridiculous amount of pointless, dragged on dialouge. I could swear that despite simple story and flat characters there is at least four times more text than in, for example, FF7. Combat system isn't really bad but it has some annoying elements, the worst being an utterly stupid AI.

One of my biggest issues with this game is hand holding. I know that Ni no Kuni is supposed to be kids-friendly, but seriously, I don't need Drippy interrupting my boss fight to tell me something like: "OMG It's a fiery monster. Maybe it has some elemental weakness!:eek:". And it happens even with the final boss. Hand holding is also what turns an interesting concept of repairing people's hearts with the right pieces into a boring fetch quest.

Overall, the game was enjoyable, but I don't think it's as great as many fans make it out to be.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I've just finished Ni no Kuni and I must say that I have some mixed feelings about it. Here comes my mini-review.

The first hours of the game are pure magic. The art style and music are really amazing and make it feel like playing through a Ghibli movie. The world map is gorgeous and the whole game has this undeniable charm.
However, it also has many weak points. The characters are rather flat. The story is fairly simple and imho not very engaging. Despite the amazing beginning, the middle 20-25 hours are pretty much a borefest. Voice acting is very good but I'm disappointed at how little of the game's dialogue was actually dubbed. And it really contains a ridiculous amount of pointless, dragged on dialouge. I could swear that despite simple story and flat characters there is at least four times more text than in, for example, FF7. Combat system isn't really bad but it has some annoying elements, the worst being an utterly stupid AI.

One of my biggest issues with this game is hand holding. I know that Ni no Kuni is supposed to be kids-friendly, but seriously, I don't need Drippy interrupting my boss fight to tell me something like: "OMG It's a fiery monster. Maybe it has some elemental weakness!:eek:". And it happens even with the final boss. Hand holding is also what turns an interesting concept of repairing people's hearts with the right pieces into a boring fetch quest.

Overall, the game was enjoyable, but I don't think it's as great as many fans make it out to be.
Spot on. Those were my thoughts.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Generally how I felt as time went on, and seems accurate from what I've heard overall. Sadly, things didn't get as good as I'd hoped in the end, and I ended up putting the game down.

Appreciate the game being made for many reasons - looks gorgeous, has a Welsh VA, and is great to welcome younger players to JRPGs - but not quite on the levels I hoped for personally.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Generally how I felt as time went on, and seems accurate from what I've heard overall. Sadly, things didn't get as good as I'd hoped in the end, and I ended up putting the game down.

Appreciate the game being made for many reasons - looks gorgeous, has a Welsh VA, and is great to welcome younger players to JRPGs - but not quite on the levels I hoped for personally.
Oh that's too bad! Even with all the flaws it had, it was my favourite game in 2013. I agree with @BladeRunnner that the first couple hours of the game was just pure magic, and the game slowly fell flat towards the end, but I honestly had a smile on my face almost the whole duration of the game. I didn't spend the time to get the platinum trophy, but I did get very far in customizing my team.

Yes, the only thing I really have complain about was the hand-holding, especially when it comes to the side quests. At times, even just as an illusion, I want to figure out which part of the heart was broken of the person we are helping without Mr. Drippy telling me what it is. I, Oliver, is a wizard after all! :D