Opening hour video from Final Fantasy XV [early game spoilers]

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Aug 13, 2016
Looks damn good. I wish they didn't play with alt. outfits. They were too distracting. Iris is adorable and funny.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
So I should be studying (between losing and hour watching the video and checking on forums and stuff every now and then I'be lost some valuable time lol), but I'll post some impressions:

Starting with the negatives, I kinda dislike many parts of the game in regards to IQ: looks somewhat blurry and the AA is pretty bad at times. And some textures are pretty low-res, as well as some of the scenarios being too flat, visual-wise. The performance seemed much better than in previous showings, but still needs work. And I think that's about it. In a broad way, I really liked what I saw. I mean, I'm still iffy in regards to some combat, story... elements, but I can't really say much until I get my hands on this.

The gameplay looks pretty nice in terms of combat (I'm going to erase the fuck out of many of those HUD elements, though!), very flashy and, according to some people I've seen reviews of, pretty fun, better than in PD (which is only logical). The hunts seem alright, they're what they, well, should be (a little bit of story input would be great, but I guess random hunts for the most part are alright, too). I hope we also have some cool, fleshed-out sidequests.

I really liked the menu. It looks visually great, and the options regarding magic, weapons, clothes and stuff look pretty nice and engaging. And so does the map. I just hope the AP growth system is bigger than that. I know there are many other ways to define the characters, but I really like stuff like the License Board in XII if they're well done and the new abilities/buffs are intersting and fun to play with.

The alt clothes are funny. Hopefully there is a good number and variety. Older Noctis looks great, I really wish we could play with that design and clothes since the beginning, up there with my favourite FF main characters' designs (the hairstyle is great and not too goofy, his face looks a bit more mature, the beard/stubble is alright and the suit is pretty fucking cool). Hopefully we'll be able to use in NG+, especially since that scene seems pretty endgame and would be a same if they didn't give us that skin.

Regarding the story, well, we can't really say much (and we basically had seen/heard about the beats this video is about). I feel a little bit sad that we don't have such a heart-racing opening sequence as the originally planned one COULD (key word!) have been, as the scene in the hotel and everything Cor-related I feel lack some emotional punch. But again, I haven't played the game and it's obvious that this is a heavily edited video (for one, I think after Chapter 0 we have some time with Regis saying goodbye to Noctis. Unless that CG video is just in Kingsglaive or something like that. And we know there is (was?) a CG scene in which, in the middle of the road, Cor asked Noctis if he wanted to know the truth).

Oh, and the city looked beautiful. Hopefully those visual and performance issues are ironed out, as it's a shame such a great environmental artistic work is not represented in the bet way.

So yeah, actually glad, very glad about the delay, as much as it sucks and as ridiculous as this whole situation can be. And, also, as much as it kills me in the inside that I'm not playing it until February (unless a miracle happens and exams are abolished).

Last edited:

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Opening scene seems out of place. Gladio's sister acts like an anime character.

Gameplay looks good. A bit messy at times, but I'm sure @LeonBlade will point out that I don't know enough of the combat system to understand it, and that might just be true.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Opening scene seems out of place. Gladio's sister acts like an anime character.

Gameplay looks good. A bit messy at times, but I'm sure @LeonBlade will point out that I don't know enough of the combat system to understand it, and that might just be true.
Opening scene should stay at the end where it belongs, I hate that I know what happens in the end.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
The opening is just weird and feels out of place, not to mention we go right to the car without any set up outside of "hey, there's a car!" I feel like we're missing context by just jumping into the middle of the road trip already in progress. It just confirms to me what Tabata's priorities were, ie getting right to the car. However, the graphics are nice and it looks to be running smoothly. The delay will hopefully help polish this even further. And I also agree it's distracting that they are using alt costumes, but not too much, I don't mind it anyway. Just noting it.

The voices are also much improved over Episode Duscae's, especially Noctis'.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
The opening is just weird and feels out of place, not to mention we go right to the car without any set up outside of "hey, there's a car!" I feel like we're missing context by just jumping into the middle of the road trip already in progress.
Keep in mind that many parts of the video were edited out, especially many cutscenes. According to the guy from reddit AMA after the opening there's a scene with king saying goodbye to Noctis.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
Keep in mind that many parts of the video were edited out, especially many cutscenes. According to the guy from reddit AMA after the opening there's a scene with king saying goodbye to Noctis.
What I'm saying is that it's what comes right to mind with how haphazard it seems to be presented. I'm hoping the actual full opening won't be so rushed.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Gladio's sister bothers me too. I think her voice is actually okay but her body language is far too anime for the realistic graphics.
Pretty much. Prompto's antics were bad enough.

You don't have to pretend anything. Just, one time, instead of seeing something and giving a list of all of the things you hate about it, notice something that you like. Like, for your own good.
Well, music seemed nice, and I look forward to exploring those massive areas. But other things bother me too much to keep quiet about it. It's not like they'll become invisible when I play the game.

AverageAfro

PSICOM Soldier
Aug 3, 2016
I hate myself for watching it. I really wanted to not watch it and save as much content as I could... Didn't happen. Apart from having qualms with how small the AP system looks, the fact that the weapons can be upgraded and the magic creating looks cool (and collecting the 13 weapons) I could look past that. The only thing I need to do now is find a game I can play until Uni starts again...

You know what I really really loved, and why I'm now looking forward to playing this even more? The interactions between the guys. I thought that it is a very good way to make you feel like you're in the game... It was a very real moment the first time Igni said something to Noct and then Prompto chimed in.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Pretty much. Prompto's antics were bad enough.

Well, music seemed nice, and I look forward to exploring those massive areas. But other things bother me too much to keep quiet about it. It's not like they'll become invisible when I play the game.
Well, at least you tried :p

I dunno. I'm not trying to insult. It just seems like a lot of people on the internet won't talk about anything until they're talking about what they don't like about something. Just seems like a shitty way to be.