People who say final fantasy is dead

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
So on youtube comments and other forums ive seen people say final fantasy is dead becasue they saw the footage of FFXV and they say it looks like devil may cry and god of war. They say that FFxv is not a final fantasy game becuase its not "turn based" and that the series is dead. What do you say to these people? and what are your thoughts on this?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
It is only natural that when some people see a departure to the original style of gameplay they react with negativity to it. You could argue a lot about what makes a Final Fantasy game, and it still wouldn't matter. Is it the Turn-based gameplay? Is it those grand stories? Is it the memorable music? Is it the chocobos? Is it the moogles? Is it Cid? Is it a party of strangers who save the world? Is it all? What aspect matters the most? In a sense, what is the soul of Final Fantasy? If you changed something, would it be still be a Final Fantasy?

I don't think there is an absolute answer to the question. And even if you gave a well thought answer, some people will just not be happy with an answer; no matter how much you argue about it or how good your arguments are. It's just they way of things, I just learnt to accept it long ago.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
As far as I've heard FFs will alternate between turn-based, MMO cool-down style, and action RPG style. To site a few FFX, 12, and this one.
I think Square is gonna do like it always does, take risks. Sometimes it'll be good, sometimes bad. But I doubt they'll never do turn-based RPGs or FF again.
FFs aren't dead. I like 15 just like I like KH games. And I'll like the turn-based classics the way I've loved them in the pasted.

My advice is to only get on the net when you want to read/hear about new info of things you love and avoid people who panic about change. Or people who like to troll or annoy people by saying intentionally aggressive or pessimistic stuff. There's a time and place to worry but right now Square's never said that they'd ditch all the usually themes put into FFs. It's not dead at all. Just changing.

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
It is only natural that when some people see a departure to the original style of gameplay they react with negativity to it. You could argue a lot about what makes a Final Fantasy game, and it still wouldn't matter. Is it the Turn-based gameplay? Is it those grand stories? Is it the memorable music? Is it the chocobos? Is it the moogles? Is it Cid? Is it a party of strangers who save the world? Is it all? What aspect matters the most? In a sense, what is the soul of Final Fantasy? If you changed something, would it be still be a Final Fantasy?

I don't think there is an absolute answer to the question. And even if you gave a well thought answer, some people will just not be happy with an answer; no matter how much you argue about it or how good your arguments are. It's just they way of things, I just learnt to accept it long ago.
To me what Final Fantasy is, is a story about crystals. TO the people who continuously say that the franchise is dead obviously doesn't know to much about it and probably doesn't know much about the concept of different director/producers = different versions/ideas of fantasy/rpgs. With the franchise, change is inevitable. Nothing since the first game has been the same, every entry added to what a final fantasy is. So, it irritates me when people are like this, judging and nagging over things that have always been: CHANGE.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
If people wanted to say it was "dying". Maybe there'd be some truth there. There are a lack of RPGs outside of JPN these days since it's easier and a lot of time much more well received to make shooter or action games. But FF is not done yet. All it needs is a couple of good games that people love to make up for the years that people got games that were arguably bad. I bet if 15, 16, and a spin-off are good in a row like that. People will be like "OMG! SQUARE IS BACK! SQUARE'S DOING GREAT AGAIN!" That's how it is. They love you when you're doing good, but as soon as you hit a rough patch, it's like you're always be a disappointment. I'm keeping my fingers cross. I want Square to succeed.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
Personally, when people say " FF is dead since X FF" are the same people who still buy FF when a new one is released. I remember people saying that after FFXII launched ( awesome game btw), and when FFXIII came out 6 million+ people still buy the game.

Which makes me think, what do the complainers really want? FF has always taken risks ever since after the first FF. Turn based wasn't always turn based, they used an ATB system, which is kinda like Turn-based, but if you take too long the opponent can get to moves off before you. No one really complained about that. What's the real issue here? Why is FF "dead" *air quotes* to these people? It's just one of those things no one will really understand.

Sep 26, 2013
In many ways, I think Final Fantasy XV appears to be anything but a departure from Final Fantasy; everything that Nomura has said about it and that has been shown so far leads me to believe it's aiming to be a faithful return to form. It supposedly contains a world map, overworld vehicles including airships, a content-rich world, things that many fans consider lost to Final Fantasy. Some of these elements haven't been seen since the days of the PS1.

Really, the only way that this Final Fantasy seems like anything less than a love letter to nostalgic fans is the battle system. It isn't turn based, that's true, but what they've done is taken a tried and true gameplay system that has received praise again and again and adapt it to their most beloved franchise. If anything, rather than a killing blow I believe this will be a bold step forward for the series.

Also, I prefer "Uncharted Fantasy" as a comparison.

"Dead" as in, why are the games no longer turn-based? Why do they look so "anime", ignoring the fact that it's looked a bit "anime" for a while now? Why are they "shit", which in itself doesn't tell me much, except the possibility that nostalgia has held them onto their fond childhood memories of the older games, and that they might have grown out of the genre without fully consciously realising it. "Dead" as in, why do brilliant games evoking the old style like Bravely Default exist, while Final Fantasy spirals into increasingly bizarre and uncharted territories?

Would I like to see a future game with a large budget that deliberately goes for the whimsical FFIX-like feeling and has a FFX-style turn-based battle system? I would indeed. Would I want this to be a trend to mainline Final Fantasy, as a supposed overture to return the franchise to its "roots"? Probably not. I'm not someone who eschews change and innovation, and as we're all versed in this by now, Final Fantasy positions itself as a franchise that openly experiments and finds new methods to freshen the gameplay with each new iteration, without dogmatically remaining ultra conservative. Part of the excitement for me is trying to work out beforehand how this strange new battle system and stats development system is going to work, on top of the new setting and characters we're presented to.

Many people eschew constant innovation, and that's understandable to an extent. To change for the sake of it is a snake's oil, and I acknowledge that a lot of the time it is good if the change is only very incremental, if the basis for a gameplay system is already solid enough that to feel compelled to completely overhaul it risks throwing the baby out with the bathwater and produce something that satisfy few people. But I say, I do prefer Final Fantasy experimenting around and producing something flawed but has much potential to be built upon than rigidly stick with the tried and tested.

So I say to these people: Final Fantasy is not "dead", though this last generation has done the reputation of the franchise and its standing vis-à-vis other franchise titans in the industry little favour. It still commands much attention, intrigue, discussion and dare I say, hype. It ultimately falls on your subjective parameters of what makes the franchise. It's only "dead" because based on your own categories and tickboxes, you decided that it is, and I can't do much to assuage you of that feeling. Then there are people who are determined to rail against the franchise ad nauseum no matter what (admittedly I've been a bit guilty of this, given my disenchantment with the FFXIII games in general), but what can I say to you? All I can say is a rather unhelpful "too bloody bad. What DO you want, and may I vaguely point in the direction of a game franchise that might be more accommodating to you if it helps pacify you for at least an afternoon"?

Sep 26, 2013
Nothing since the first game has been the same, every entry added to what a final fantasy is. So, it irritates me when people are like this, judging and nagging over things that have always been: CHANGE.
Sure, every Final Fantasy has different characters, world and story. However, the groundwork has been pretty much the same from FFI-FFIX. The structure hasn’t really started to see changes from that point on and that’s when we started to see things we weren’t used to seeing (FFXIII being very guilty of this). They’re messing around with that identity fans were familiar with for such a long time.

SNES games were similar to the NES games and PSX games were basically the 2D games but in 3D. Yeah, there was the jump from 2D to 3D but when you break it all down, you realize that they’re still being faithful to the groundwork that was established from the 2D games.

FFXV seems like an attempt to actually go back in time and create something faithful to the classics and deliver something long time fans are familiar with.

As for the whole dead thing…

I think some people say that because Final Fantasy used to be an IP that was creating new standards and raising the bar. It was a game other developers would look at and try to imitate. Nowadays, other games are doing that and it leaves an impression that Final Fantasy is behind with the times and becoming irrelevant.

Look at FFXIII for example and ask yourself if that game was doing anything that was a step forward.

Finally, I don't think it helps that Sakaguchi isn't around anymore either. It doesn't seem like a smooth transition ever happened and now we have directors like Toriyama, who thinks he can do whatever he wants.

Loki Darkstrom

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 3, 2014
Valhalla
It a brawl against the developers and the audience, often at times they ask for a change and once they get it then some of them regret it! FINAL FANTASY XV is still FINAL FANTASY, like every game it's evolution. The game is changing because of what the audience wants, more action, better story, of course things have to change. FINAL FANTASY is always gonna be FINAL FANTASY, it's meant to survive for how long it has and the only way to keep going is to evolve with what audience wants

TRI Mike

ShinRa SOLDIER
What the hell¿ Of course it's not dead. How can a franchise be dead with all the tons of games being released under its name¿ Crystal Chronicles, XIII trilogy, Chocobo's Dungeon, Dissidia, Type-0, Theathrhythm, mobile titles, Bravely Default (which is basically a FF game), all released in a single generation. I honestly think it's silly to say this. We could probably argue about whether they're as great as FFVII or VI but the franchise being dead¿ Not even close.

mortero056

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 19, 2014
I'm sorry if I bump a dead conversation, but I want my opinion to be heard too.

Is Final Fantasy dead? Though question. I have been part of those who claim (I still do) that the franchise is dead. And by dead, I mean: DEAD. It's not only about what I think, or what "older folks" think, or you. Let's be clear here, it's truth, nobody knows or can answer, "what makes Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy?". Because we have Kitase claiming that fantasy isn't only about medievalism. Check, all right, true there. Because we have turn based gameplay in the first 9 games. Check, true again. Because we have epic music, dramatic stories and memorable characters. This might not be checked in all the entries, but let's say it's true as well.

What happened then? Did we answer the question? No. My point is, it's true that FF isn't one faced coin, but it's true that it has forgotten its roots, and it has a crisis. A crisis of identity. Let's get the clocks back to the year 1987, in a place called Japan. The company Square was in a finnancial collapse, until a man named Hironobu Sakaguchi, saved the franchise with a game titled Final Fantasy. Then, we got FFIV, the first RPG to ever feature an epic story, memorable characters and dramatic music. Some years after, we had the best game ever created (in my opinion) Final Fantasy VI. Then, as if FF wasn't good enough, we had the most popular RPG ever, FFVII. A few years again, the franchise received another masterpiece as FFIX was. And then, some say, FFX was another masterpiece (though I do not share this sentiment, for me was "meh"). Then, the Spirits Within fiasco. At this point, Sakaguchi wasn't in the company anymore, and the franchise began to struggle

The problem isn't what I think, as I just said, but about what it has to be done. I think FF is dead because the franchise isn't going anywhere. The FF's I just listed above, are examples of the remarkable quality and level of innovation, and impact that FF had on the gaming community (read, the GAMING community as a whole). It placed several staples on the RPG genre and in the gaming overall. Final Fantasy was an inspiration for the gaming as whole, nowadays, Final Fantasy is being inspired by other games, including Call of Duty (google this, and you'll see it's not an invetion of me). Tell me guys, do you really think FF is good like this? I don't have anything against XIII (I enjoyed it, somehow), but that doesn't mean it's good, or bad either. But if many demand a FF game, and Square Enix simply doesn't care. The crisis of identity is particular here. What do we have in FFXIII that makes it FF, besides Turn based or chocobos? Do we have castles and dragons like IX? No. Do we have medievalism? No. Do we have Crystals? No. Do we have an overworld? No. Do we have an airship? No. Do we have a badass villain? No. Do we have a memorable story? Hell, no.

So, the point here is XV (Versus XIII for me, it's an insult to call it XV). Answer me this, it is a Final Fantasy game? Maybe. Hopefully. I really don't see XV as a FF, and less as the next main entry (after 2 disastrous main games). The problem for me, is not the gameplay (only). For me, the problem is what I just said, the lack of identity found in the game. Just think about it, erase the FF title on it, and on first view, would you have recognized it as the next FF main game? I'm 100% sure, that you (or anyone) wouldn't have. Why? Because what makes it a FF game, is the title, nothing else. Bringing KH gameplay to "innovate" the franchise won't do a thing. Do we need innovation? I don't think so, honestly, and yes. No, because we had 9 turn based FF games in almost 14 years, and they all (or at least, the majority) were heavily praised, by both, critics and fans alike, as they crafted the franchise as it was. Yet, I agree on the innovation. But by innovation, I don't mean to place a KH/DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta gameplay, but by that: Innovation.

Final Fantasy XII innovated more than any other FF to date. It was the game that moved from turn based to action oriented gameplay. Why can't they do a simple Action game like Skyrim or The Witcher? Still, this isn't my opinion, as you just said, people around the web are saying FF is dead. I share that feeling. Perhaps I'm a "nostalgia one". Perhaps I'm biased. But if there are so many people around the world saying this, is not by coincidence, but because there is something bad really going on. I hope I'm wrong, and XV really becomes the FF we ALL are waiting for. Because honestly, I've waited too damn long.

Vampire91

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Oct 26, 2013
Supposedly FF XV will have a World Map, Airships, Chocobos, Crystals, classic FF Magic, classic Summons, classic Monsters and so on. Maybe it's beacause I'm not blinded by nostalgia glasses (even if I loved every single turn based FF, especially IX), but even if I erase the FF name from FF XV I still see a Final Fantasy. I really don't see an identity crisis, in fact I think that FF XV has the chance to be the real incarnation of this identity, if all the promises are met. I really don't care if it's not turn based, what I care of is a solid, fun and deep Combat System, a good story, well developed characters and all the classic FF elements. So no, if FF XIII's (and X's, wich is the first offender, even if I liked both ) structure is not to be repeated in future games, I would say that FF is not dead.

P.S. If you say FF is dead and at the same time you're hoping for a return to glory you're lying to yourself.

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Supposedly FF XV will have a World Map, Airships, Chocobos, Crystals, classic FF Magic, classic Summons, classic Monsters and so on. Maybe it's beacause I'm not blinded by nostalgia glasses (even if I loved every single turn based FF, especially IX), but even if I erase the FF name from FF XV I still see a Final Fantasy. I really don't see an identity crisis, in fact I think that FF XV has the chance to be the real incarnation of this identity, if all the promises are met. I really don't care if it's not turn based, what I care of is a solid, fun and deep Combat System, a good story, well developed characters and all the classic FF elements. So no, if FF XIII's (and X's, wich is the first offender, even if I liked both ) structure is not to be repeated in future games, I would say that FF is not dead.

P.S. If you say FF is dead and at the same time you're hoping for a return to glory you're lying to yourself.
I share the same opinion you did.

Combat system isn't what defines a Final Fantasy game, turn based was just going on for so long because that's how it started, that's all you could really do, and it was also based on the sort of table top turn taking, but it evolved into something much different, I think moving forward this is the best option for Square Enix, Final Fantasy needs to change, FFXIII's combat system was lackluster to say the least.

I'm most excited for FFXV because of a variety of things, battle system being one of them, but mainly because the characters, settings, story all interest me. It FEELS like a Final Fantasy game, and I'm beyond excited.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Do we have Crystals? No.
There are definitely no crystals in FFXIII. They called it Fabula Nova Crystallis just for lulz

And to answer your question: yes it is a Final Fantasy game and definitely feels like one. Although, it may depend to which entry you compare it ( it's surely not like FF9, but seems much like FF7). Personally I don't have any problems with action based combat, unless it's a mindless button-masher (hopefully not).
And actually there were only four FF games which were truly turn based (I, II, III, X). All the rest were ATB, which is similar, but not turn based in a classic sense.

Also, just because a franchise has changed in a way you dislike, doesn't mean it's dead. People seem to overuse this term a lot.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I think the disdain for Final Fantasy and for Square-Enix in general is due to their poor communication with their fanbase rather than a drop in quality of games. Fans feel frustrated, confused and unappreciated. All they want are some answers and Square-Enix seems to have continuous issues in giving them. Granted, the company is making steps towards becoming more vocal as we've recently seen in previous interviews/articles. However, there's still a long way to go. This recent E3 debacle only affirms fans' distrust of the company even further. Square-Enix needs to find a medium in which they can have a consistent correspondence with their base. Some good examples would be Nintendo's Nintendo Direct and Hideya Kamina's (Platinum Games) frequent use of his Twitter page. Square-Enix isn't out of the fight yet. Given they take the proper steps, the company can win their fans back.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
If people think it's dead... Why are they on this forum? I'm here become I DON'T think it's dead, I think I think it's hit a rough patch and will hopefully bounce back. If you go to a site about a series, surrounded by people who love the series, yet you think it's dead (and dead for good), then you're either wasting time or trolling. Otherwise it's doesn't add up. And I've seen people do this. They'll go to forums named after FFs or Square and just say over and over how there's no hope for the series and that all the die-hard fans are loser for still believing in Square.

mortero056

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 19, 2014
I don't get why so much negativism after my post, it wasn't my intention to "troll" or to be aggressive, yet I still find amazing that many many here (and everywhere) don't accept somebody else's opinion. In this case, mine. Whatever.

My point was not XV at all (although here it's the main topic), I never said it looks bad, mediocre, or something like that, in fact, I can say it looks like a hell of game (in the good sense) and probably one of the best FF in almost a decade. I never said it's bad, I just said I don't like it as it is, which is a completely different thing. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong.

The topic here is, the people who say it's dead. In my opinion, it is, right now as it is. However, that doesn't mean it will be dead forever (we had many revivals, like Mortal Kombat and Tomb Raider, for example), or that will never return to its former glory. I even mentioned that hopefully XV is the Final Fantasy game we all (including me) are waiting for. I really really hope I'm wrong and Nomura proves me how stupid I was. Though, that hasn't happened yet, and many here really need some reading lessons.

Now, as I said too, the gameplay isn't a problem (at all) for me. The innovation is part of that. However, after 9 successful games, specially the last 5 (which were ATB), the quality and gameplay, was the same for almost, what? 7 years? And the result was the same: success. Nowadays, we have had 5 main games, in 12 years, and each of them had different directors, when in the past, there were only a few 3 or 4, at much, and obviously, the results haven't been the same, or positive. At least not in my eyes, and not in Square Enix's finnancial years.

Take a look to Xenoblade Chronicles, and now its successor, Xenoblade Chronicles X. Both are exactly the same thing, and X is being praised even before its release. Not to mention Pokémon, which has been the exact same game in 15 years, and it's still praised. Or Fire Emblem, which has been the same strategy, and Awakening was a jewel of the genre. None of these franchises take innecessary risks, as some of they evolve, with new features but the core mechanics. Something that, of course, Final Fantasy has forgotten.

Of course, I agree with you guys about being stuck in the same thing, I wouldn't have liked that. In fact, I enjoyed FFXII's departure to turn based gameplay, as I just said. That was one of the best moves that Square Enix could have done ever, and nobody else could have done that, except the godfather of FF battle system Hiroyuki Ito. But then, they aren't moving to the next step. They have been stuck with Lightning since 2009-2010 or something like that. In case XV isn't released this year (which is pretty unlikely), it will be another yar of agony. 5 years to move on from a single game, and the worst thing is, that Versus is part of the stupid mythos of Nova Crystallis. How can we say that isn't a hara-kiri? I don't get it.

Again, my intention wasn't trying to be negative by any means. I just shared what I think many people think about this topic of Final Fantasy being dead. And other thing, I never said there wasn't hope (though you admit that FF is doing wrong. If you weren't, why would you have said that?), in fact, I'm pretty sure that I have my hopes extremely raised. We the "purists", have more hopes because we are more disappointed with the franchise than those who aren't. I'm still waiting for Hiroyuki Ito's XVI.

There are definitely no crystals in FFXIII. They called it Fabula Nova Crystallis just for lulz

And to answer your question: yes it is a Final Fantasy game and definitely feels like one. Although, it may depend to which entry you compare it ( it's surely not like FF9, but seems much like FF7). Personally I don't have any problems with action based combat, unless it's a mindless button-masher (hopefully not).
And actually there were only four FF games which were truly turn based (I, II, III, X). All the rest were ATB, which is similar, but not turn based in a classic sense.

Also, just because a franchise has changed in a way you dislike, doesn't mean it's dead. People seem to overuse this term a lot.
Really? Are there Crystals besides the "Crystarium" (which is a menu)? Because honestly, I don't remember a single Crystal like those of FFIV, V or IX. Seriously. Even XV looks more promising in the Crystals aspect. Another thing, as I just said, it's not that I dislike it or not. I dislike X, though many say it's part of the original FF lineup. Okay, no problem at all, I still dislike it, but yes, it's more an old FF than a new one. I dislike VIII, yet it's still more a FF than, I don't know, the original XIV? Type-0? It was the first thing I said in my post, "it's not about if I like them or not, it's about what has to be done (inside the company)". Also, as I said, it's not me who said it's dead dude, the OP just said he/she has read that statement in several sites. Ever wondered why?