I managed to catch the end of the concert stream where they showed this. Looks incredible.
As excited as I am about Xenoblade X, I feel like this could be the game of the year. It definitely wins in the style category. Persona games (and Catherine) have always had the greatest thematic visual/UI design I've seen in video games. Best use of color.
And one of the party members is a cat. That automatically puts it a level above most other RPGs.
I think people are just referencing how the MC looks a lot like Vincent here.
Other things of note:
- It looks like S.Link/Community has been replaced by something called Cooperation. Probably some sort of evolved system.
- You can use melee and ranged weapons. Apparently this is a returning feature from Persona 2 (and 1?), not sure on that as I've only played 3 and 4. Also interesting to note that it might only be the main character who can use both melee and ranged, since we don't see anyone else's menu.
- Cover system looks pretty cool, can only speculate on what purpose it serves/how it works. Looks like there might be some platforming too?
- The weather system or something like it is back.
- Looks like you visit dungeons at night like in Persona 3.
If you've seen that trailer & compare how he acts between his normal life in society (like school & the mall) & when he's on the 'battlefield', you could justify that "maybe" could be "is" thus; He is crazy.