Possible Updated Ivalice Games?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
Since many people are wanting SE to start on remastering FFXII (if they haven't already, that is), I got to thinking about other possible games set in Ivalice that could benefit from an update too.

The Tactics games so far have only had the first game be updated beyond being available on the PSN and Wii U virtual console. Would Advance and A2 also benefit from an update like War of the Lions?

Any thoughts on this?

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I would say that Advance and A2 don´t too much chance of receiving an updated re-release since they´re not popular in the west (I heard that they´re JP but can´t confirm it). FFTWar of the Lions could be re-released on Steam and PS4.

SonOfEtro

Warrior of Light
May 2, 2016
I don't think they'd do FFT again since they already did an updated re-release with War of the Lions. They might try Revenant Wings, giving it a lick of paint as it's a DS game and rejig the gameplay a little. That might be a descent seller on Steam. If sales and reception were strong enough, it might even convince SQEX that the Ivalice universe had life left in it beyond mobile games.

Totally off topic, but if they decide to do any full remakes, they might try Vagrant Story: while it wasn't originally part of the Ivalice canon, it's certainly one of the best PS1 games out there.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
I don't think they'd do FFT again since they already did an updated re-release with War of the Lions. They might try Revenant Wings, giving it a lick of paint as it's a DS game and rejig the gameplay a little. That might be a descent seller on Steam. If sales and reception were strong enough, it might even convince SQEX that the Ivalice universe had life left in it beyond mobile games.

Totally off topic, but if they decide to do any full remakes, they might try Vagrant Story: while it wasn't originally part of the Ivalice canon, it's certainly one of the best PS1 games out there.
Well, I was originally going to put a tag for Vagrant Story, so I don't consider it off topic. ;) Even if it didn't start out as part of the project, it is still an Ivalice game.

I would say that Advance and A2 don´t too much chance of receiving an updated re-release since they´re not popular in the west (I heard that they´re JP but can´t confirm it). FFTWar of the Lions could be re-released on Steam and PS4.
Honestly? I thought those games were pretty good and could definitely be good to update. I know they aren't as popular as Tactics, but at the same time I don't think that automatically means that they aren't worth being updated. And it would definitely be good to update Advance, since so many people demonize Marche or don't generally understand the story of the game. Adding in some stuff from the Japanese exclusive materials would be good for it.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
The fans have already fixed Tactics with FFT 1.3. I had a part in it as well with the PSP port. Unfortunately the PSP version never got finished (though my dev copy is pretty damn close.) But the PSX version is as polished as ever. Plus there's the easier version for people who aren't masochists.

No square-made re-release will never top that.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
The fans have already fixed Tactics with FFT 1.3. I had a part in it as well with the PSP port. Unfortunately the PSP version never got finished (though my dev copy is pretty damn close.) But the PSX version is as polished as ever. Plus there's the easier version for people who aren't masochists.

No square-made re-release will never top that.
Yes, but the topic was about Square Enix officially updating these games. After all, fan games are good, but in the end they are not official games and thus their updates don't count for this topic.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Yes, but the topic was about Square Enix officially updating these games. After all, fan games are good, but in the end they are not official games and thus their updates don't count for this topic.
I'm saying it's too late for Square to do anything worthwhile for this one, for the reasons I gave. The topic did not confuse me.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
How is it too late? That does confuse me.
Most of the other updates were more welcome because they included some quality of life fixes or updated the graphics, etc. But this one won't benefit from either, especially over the well-established fan-mod base. It also doesn't need any kind of basic graphical update as the sprites and whatnot actually hold up well. There really just isn't much more they can do but ruin it. Considering there are much better mods out there, like 1.3, that actually fix and rebalance every last bit of it (my PSP version had at least 5 million individual little edits and tweaks) damn near perfectly.

I just don't think there's anything they can do at this point to make it any better. The fans beat them to it. This is different from all of the other old FF games. There are mods for all of them, but none as sweet-spot perfect as 1.3 (and its content-only counterparts). The regular PS1 era games benefited from upscaled graphics much better than something like this or even the GBA versions could benefit from.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I didn't even say anything about War of the Lions... Except briefly mentioned that I did the port for 1.3, but that was just a side thing.

Know what, nevermind.

NemesisSP

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 1, 2013
I didn't even say anything about War of the Lions... Except briefly mentioned that I did the port for 1.3, but that was just a side thing.

Know what, nevermind.
You're not making sense, that's why I can't figure out what you are talking about. What does this have to do with updating and re-releasing old Ivalice games? I'm asking what games set in Ivalice also would benefit from an official update or remake like War of the Lions?