Regarding FFXII HD Remaster potentially being announced at TGS...

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
It would seem there's many FF fans across the internet that believe this is when it will be announced. I think the words of Arnie Roth is what ignited this belief. Yet, there's is no substantial evidence that indicates the game will be announced at TGS 2015. That being the case, I'm keeping my expectations in check and expecting it to be announced sometime in 2016, which is the game's 10th anniversary. After all, if you remember correctly, FFX|X-2 HD was announced in 2011, which was FFX's 10th anniversary. Square Enix might follow the same approach.

Also, staying on the subject of FFXII HD Remaster, it will be either one of the following:
  • A light remaster. Basically, an upscaled port (An example being MGS HD Collection, The Last of Us Remastered).
  • A medium remaster. Attention paid to improving the visuals, character models, UI, gameplay mechanics (An example being FFX|X-2 HD, Kingdom Hearts HD ReMIX).
  • A heavy remaster. Greatly improve the textures and UI. Add completely new character models and graphical features not present in the original. Improve the existing gameplay mechanics (Type-0 HD, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D).
  • A thorough remaster. Basically, almost a remake. Uses a totally new and modern engine. All the textures, character models, UI, and even cutscenes are redone from scratch. New graphical features and gameplay features not present in the original game (Gears of War: Ultimate Edition).
Personally, I think the game will be a medium remaster like FFX|X-2 HD, but I'm hoping for a heavy remaster like Type-0 HD.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
What would Tactics: The War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre count under?

I'm hoping for medium remaster to keep consistency. Also, I really want Toriyama's sequel included.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
What would Tactics: The War of the Lions and Tactics Ogre count under?

I'm hoping for medium remaster to keep consistency. Also, I really want Toriyama's sequel included.
FFT: The War of the Lions was a port with new content. Tactics Ogre was a remake, but it stayed true to the original game's graphical and gameplay style.

As for FFXII RW being included, I'd much rather they remastered it for Smartphones/Tablets. Playing that game on a controller would be a pain without touchscreen controls, especially when you also consider that HDTV screens are horizontally shaped, not vertically shaped like the two screened DS interface. Smartphones/Tablets are much more suitable, as they can also be shaped vertically. Basically, Toriyama's sequel is better saved to be released separately on the Apple Store/Google Play sometime after FFXII HD releases.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
FFT: The War of the Lions was a port with new content. Tactics Ogre was a remake, but it stayed true to the original game's graphical and gameplay style.

As for FFXII RW being included, I'd much rather they remastered it for Smartphones/Tablets. Playing that game on a controller would be a pain without touchscreen controls, especially when you also consider that HDTV screens are horizontally shaped, not vertically shaped like the two screened DS interface. Smartphones/Tablets are much more suitable, as they can also be shaped vertically. Basically, Toriyama's sequel is better saved to be released separately on the Apple Store/Google Play sometime after FFXII HD releases.
So like the DS remakes of III and IV but remaining true the original graphical style?

And what about I & II?

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
So like the DS remakes of III and IV but remaining true the original graphical style?

And what about I & II?
Yes, Tactics Ogre was a remake. If you compare the game to the original on SNES, there are substantial differences to both the game design and scenario. Hiroshi Minagawa, the director, said the development team chose to use a similar graphical style to the SNES version because they wanted to stay true to the original. During the early planning, both him and Yasumi Matsuno considered using 3D graphics, but in the end they decided to stay visually faithful to the original game.

As for FFI and FFII on PSP, they were also both remakes. The same can be said about FFIV: The Complete Collection.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Yes, Tactics Ogre was a remake. If you compare the game to the original on SNES, there are substantial differences to both the game design and scenario. Hiroshi Minagawa, the director, said the development team chose to use a similar graphical style to the SNES version because they wanted to stay true to the original. During the early planning, both him and Yasumi Matsuno considered using 3D graphics, but in the end they decided to stay visually faithful to the original game.

As for FFI and FFII on PSP, they were also both remakes. The same can be said about FFIV: The Complete Collection.
So why did they just do 2D remakes for I & II but 3D remakes for III and IV? Couldn't have been shortage of original staff, Hiromichi Tanaka, Akitoshi Kawazu and Koichi Ishii were all still at Square Enix during the development of the remakes.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
So why did they just do 2D remakes for I & II and 3D remakes for III and IV? Couldn't have been shortage of original staff, Hiromichi Tanaka, Akitoshi Kawazu and Koichi Ishii were all still at Square Enix during the development of the remakes.
Both FFI and FFII for PSP were released as part of Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary in 2007. Square Enix wanted to return to the roots of the series as part of the celebration. They wanted to remember where the series came from, so 3D remakes were not what they had in mind. That being said, if you compare the visuals of FFI and FFII on NES to the PSP versions, there's still a substantial difference in quality, even despite the remakes not being in 3D.

Also, FFIII DS was already in development by that time. It started development in 2004, so Matrix Software was busy with that. FFI and FFII were given to Tose Software, who were responsible for porting FFIV, FFV, FFVI to the GBA. As you know, when Matrix Software were done with FFIII, they immediately went to FFIV. They never went back to FFI and FFII, as Square Enix considered the PSP remakes sufficient.

We even have Nomura recently saying at E3 2015 that, with regards to the FFVII Remake, they skipped FFV and FFVI. He made no mention of them skipping FFI and FFII.

EDIT: I should also add that both FFI and FFII were originally remade for the WonderSwan Color and then ported to the GBA. The PSP versions were enhanced ports of that remake. FFIII was also supposed to be remade for the WonderSwan Color, but they couldn't get it off the ground. There was eventually plans to remake it for PS2, but then Nintendo stepped in and asked them to make it for Nintendo DS.

Last edited:

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I would say medium remaster, with the possibility of having one or two elements of a heavy remaster.

I'd be more interested in this, though, if the Zodiac Job System was included. And have the choice to pick between standard or Zodiac, just like with the Expert Grid.
It would be good if the PS4/Xbox One got a heavy remaster, while the PS Vita got a medium remaster. That way, I'd have reason to buy both versions. If the PS4 version looks exactly the same as the Vita version, but just in a higher resolution, I doubt I'll double dip.

As for the Zodiac Job System, it will likely be included, as the game will be based on the International Zodiac Job System (IZJS) version, similar to how the FFX|X-2 HD Remaster was based off the International versions of those games. That being the case, I don't see the original License Board being included, as it wasn't in the IZJS version. It would be good if they instead modified the Zodiac Job System to let the player change Jobs whenever they like, similar to FFV and FFT. That way, you'd be able to gain the abilities of all 12 License Boards, which wouldn't be much different from clearing the License Board used in the original FFXII.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
So what's exactly different in the International Zodiac Job System version? I've heard it's far more substitutional than the reissues Division 1 did for their PS2 games. I also hear they rebalanced the difficulty, is it easier?

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
So what's exactly different in the International Zodiac Job System version? I've heard it's far more substitutional than the reissues Division 1 did for their PS2 games. I also hear they rebalanced the difficulty, is it easier?
Rather than typing out a lengthy reply explaining it all, I'll just leave you with this article. It does a good job giving a brief outline of all the changes from the original version. It even includes some development details from Hiroyuki Ito. The actual changes within IZJS are a lot more complex than that article lets on, but you wouldn't really understand their magnitude unless you've thoroughly played the original FFXII.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
As for the Zodiac Job System, it will likely be included, as the game will be based on the International Zodiac Job System (IZJS) version, similar to how the FFX|X-2 HD Remaster was based off the International versions of those games. That being the case, I don't see the original License Board being included, as it wasn't in the IZJS version. It would be good if they instead modified the Zodiac Job System to let the player change Jobs whenever they like, similar to FFV and FFT. That way, you'd be able to gain the abilities of all 12 License Boards, which wouldn't be much different from clearing the License Board used in the original FFXII.
I hope they do this... I don't like the job system in the International version, it's the only thing about the version that I don't like. I don't agree with Ito saying that he wants players to make a choice that they have to stick with. Sure you have to make a choice and think about it, but it's not like you can make an educated guess, you just pick blindly and hope that what you pick is going to work.

Being able to switch jobs would be much better, it gives you the restriction of job based roles while also allowing the freedom to still customize your party just like any other FF game with a job system. Much better than blindly picking one and hoping that you didn't make a mistake that would cause you to have to start all over again because you realize that Red Mage is useless in the later parts of the game for example, or that that x character is worst at being y job and you didn't know so you picked it.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I hope they do this... I don't like the job system in the International version, it's the only thing about the version that I don't like. I don't agree with Ito saying that he wants players to make a choice that they have to stick with. Sure you have to make a choice and think about it, but it's not like you can make an educated guess, you just pick blindly and hope that what you pick is going to work.

Being able to switch jobs would be much better, it gives you the restriction of job based roles while also allowing the freedom to still customize your party just like any other FF game with a job system. Much better than blindly picking one and hoping that you didn't make a mistake that would cause you to have to start all over again because you realize that Red Mage is useless in the later parts of the game for example, or that that x character is worst at being y job and you didn't know so you picked it.
Ito really needs to modify the Zodiac Job System to work like FFV and FFT. Considering that FFXV doesn't have a Job system, FFXII HD has the chance to be the only mainline FF (besides the MMOs) with a seamless battle system and also a Job system. The days when it could claim to be the only mainline FF with seamless battles has come to an end thanks to FFXV. If Ito still wants FFXII's seamless battle system to stay significant in this series, he needs to make it include a FFV/FFT style Job system.

Honestly, it would be so easy to do this with the existing IZJS coding. There's already cheat codes for the PS2 version that allow you to change Job whenever you want and master all 12 License Boards for every character. The only drawback there is that when you change Job, you still retain all the licenses you obtained for the Job you were previously. Ito needs alter FFXII HD to make it so that when you change Job, you lose access to all the licenses you obtained with your previous Job. However, when you go back to that said Job, all the licenses you've obtained with it are readily available.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I think it's possible FFXII HD will be announced at TGS and released before FFXV, so in the first half of 2016. Expecting anything more than medium remaster would be a bit unrealistic. I'm pretty sure it will be the Zodiac version, since all of Square's remasters (X, KH 1.5, 2.5) were the improved versions of the games. I haven't played FFXII so I don't know if some mechanics should be changed or not, but there is one thing I read about that simply sounds like awful game design: the best weapon can be obtained only by not opening a few arbitrary chests throughout the game with no warning whatsoever.
I wouldn't mind stuff like that gone.

Bites the dust

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 14, 2015
the best weapon can be obtained only by not opening a few arbitrary chests throughout the game with no warning whatsoever.
I agree that things like the conditions for the guaranteed Zodiac Spear are ridiculous, but there is another way to obtain that weapon. In fact it is possible to farm another chest enough to outfit the entire party with the Zodiac Spear, with a little know how and time of course.

On top of that, the Zodiac spear is just the weapon that has the highest strength. If you push yourself to get it early it will be pretty strong, but as you start to become stronger and can start doing high damage with other weapons, its worth starts to drop. You will get to a point where in most cases it will be better to just use a weapon that is weaker, but hits faster and combos more.

1Truth2Lies

Sphere Hunter
Jul 3, 2014
London
I think it's possible FFXII HD will be announced at TGS and released before FFXV, so in the first half of 2016. Expecting anything more than medium remaster would be a bit unrealistic. I'm pretty sure it will be the Zodiac version, since all of Square's remasters (X, KH 1.5, 2.5) were the improved versions of the games. I haven't played FFXII so I don't know if some mechanics should be changed or not, but there is one thing I read about that simply sounds like awful game design: the best weapon can be obtained only by not opening a few arbitrary chests throughout the game with no warning whatsoever.
The whole hidden Zodiac Spear is classic Hiroyuki Ito game design. He loves hiding gameplay related things in his games. Matsuno is similar case, but he does it more with story than gameplay. In FFV, his debut as game designer, Ito hid the place where you can get either the Brave Blade or Chicken Knife. I was so well hidden, that you'd only know this hidden location was in the game via a guide or some really keen exploring. Similar hidden elements were put in both FFVI and FFIX, which he directed and game designed. FFXII is similar to these with how well hidden the Zodiac Spear is. There's other really well hidden items in the game, too, some even more than the Zodiac Spear. There's also the ridiculous requirements in order to make rare monsters spawn.

Personally, whenever Ito directs or game designs a FF, I don't bother trying to get 100% completion, as the man is notorious for trying to make it so you can't achieve that feat with his games. I managed to 100% complete FFXII once, but never bothered to again on all my subsequent playthroughs. Ito simply asks for too much. Obtaining some of the the trophies on FFXII HD are going to be absolutely brutal, especially if any are related to spawning rare monsters and acquiring certain items from chests.

On top of that, the Zodiac spear is just the weapon that has the highest strength. If you push yourself to get it early it will be pretty strong, but as you start to become stronger and can start doing high damage with other weapons, its worth starts to drop. You will get to a point where in most cases it will be better to just use a weapon that is weaker, but hits faster and combos more.
This man knows what he's talking about. This is especially evident in IZJS, as there's no damage limit. Weapons that are weaker than the Zodiac Spear can end up doing way more damage if they are faster and have a high combo rate.