RPG Recommendations

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Minion

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Aug 27, 2014
Looking to get back into some RPG's. I havent really done a lot of RPG's, since ive spent a ton of time in MMO-Land.

So, people who know RPG's better than I, let me have your recommendations for either XB360 or PC (nothing too graphics heavy, if possible. I only have a medium-capable system).

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Well, there's always Dragon Age: Origins. I didn't like the gameplay at all, but it had a well crafted world and interesting story. Also, games like the Fallout or Elder Scrolls series are always good to spend a lot of time, even though they aren't of the best quality.

It's going to be a very general list, because you've not provided much in the way of details. What do you like? What have you played? etc.

Divinity: Original Sin
(PC) - I've not touched the game myself (yet), but going from hearsay, it's a callback to older CRPGs of yesterday without alienating old fans of the genre. It's well regarded enough that many consider this their GOTY, and one of the best RPGs lately. It operates with a turn-based combat system, and from what I know, it's got more than enough meat on the bones because you could end up spending several hours just clue hunting in the first town area alone if you like to be thorough.

Dragon Age games (360 and PC) - it's true, Origins' battle system isn't suited to everyone's tastes, but it's a very decent halfway house between old CRPGs (well, a visibly simplified take on D&D games) and strangely enough, something like Final Fantasy XII. Managing party tactics and being able to pause during combat to strategise work really well. Dragon Age 2 has had a lot of flak, and I passed over that one, and everyone's eyes are now on Inquisition, which takes the franchise into what is presumably a more open-world environment.

Mass Effect games (360 and PC) - just in case you aren't familiar with the series, the Mass Effect games - namely the latter two entries in the series - lean more to the side of third-person shooters with RPG aspects than vice versa. If you don't mind that, you should enjoy being able to romp around the galaxy with aliens, doing tonnes of sidequests, planet scanning, and being either a compassionate hero or an angry jerk.

Lost Odyssey (360) - essentially a classic JRPG with turn-based combat and a world map.

Blue Dragon (360) - see above.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (360) - a very good action battle system and it's particularly fun to blindside an enemy. But this game's writing and characters have an egregious tendency of making enemies with a lot of players, including myself. If you have the patience of a saint to tolerate or like the game's characters, you shouldn't have any problems.

Tales of Vesperia (360) - it's generally well-received. Plus it's Tales.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (PC) - a rare case of a JRPG on Steam and GOG.

Shadowrun Returns (and the DLC Dragonfall) (PC) - an isometric turn-based game that delightfully reminds me of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. While its writing is its strength, Returns is a noticeably linear experience and lacks a reliable save system. Dragonfall is more akin to an expansion pack, rather than a followup DLC, because rather than a halfhearted extra campaign, it visibly improves and builds on what Returns attempted to do, with more pronounced and greyer choices, and a greater flexibility afforded to the player on how you approach missions.

I think this will do for the time being. It's obviously not an exhaustive list, but it's a good starting point for the thread topic.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Mass Effect games (360 and PC) - just in case you aren't familiar with the series, the Mass Effect games - namely the latter two entries in the series - lean more to the side of third-person shooters with RPG aspects than vice versa. If you don't mind that, you should enjoy being able to romp around the galaxy with aliens, doing tonnes of sidequests, planet scanning, and being either a compassionate hero or an angry jerk.
I forgot about these ones. I recommend all the way that you play them.

May 26, 2014
Ys I&II Chronicles on Steam. It's a fast paced arpg with a very old-school feel. It's pretty short (you can probably finish both Ys I and Ys II in about 15-20 hours), but it's well worth the asking price.

And the soundtrack. Oh man, the soundtrack.