SEGAtlus - How do you feel about the home of Sonic owning Atlus?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dollow

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
dollowrlance.blogspot.com

It has been some time since it happened, I was wondering what is everyone's opinion of the SEGA acquisition of Atlus (which includes Atlus USA).

I was personally a little shocked that SEGA wanted Atlus, and while SEGA was not my first choice for Atlus, I feel that it will at the end of the day was a wish choice for SEGA and Atlus as a whole.

I am curious as what everyone feels about it, do like it? Hate it? Or just very "eh" about it.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
I think a lot of people's comments have been completely overblown. Sega has cited very understandable reasons for why Valkyria Chronicles 3 didn't come here (very few people bought the 2nd one and the PSP was already at death's door over here), and only some Sega rep said that they had no plans to localize Yakuza 5 - which basically means "Blah Blah Blah No Comment" in the grand scheme of things.

Sega has done a great job with Relic and Creative Assembly. They could lean on each other for support in different markets, so I see no issues here.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I made a remark about this in another thread. Basically i'm gad sega could aquire Atlus since Atlus can help pull in revenue. Likewise I am also worried they will get in the way of any potential Atlus imports. We'll have to wait and see though.

Dollow

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
dollowrlance.blogspot.com
I am not hoping for anything that is older that is in JP at this point, I am worried for the smaller games that get localized, and maybe the fighting game they bring like King of Fighters. My main hope this is that SEGA uses Atlus to bring games such as Phantasy Star Online 2 & Nova as well as Yakuza, but then I remember what happened with SEGA West as a whole.

Varnis

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Australia
I'm still optimistic about this...Usually everyone I've talked to agrees that if Sega lets Atlus run their show as per usual...We've got nothing to worry about...and the possibility that Atlus can be used to localize a lot of Sega's recent 'not-yet-localized' games is also a another positive that could happen, but at the end of the day...both companies will do what's Best for Them.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Sega has done a great job with Relic and Creative Assembly. They could lean on each other for support in different markets, so I see no issues here.
The problem really is that these things are handled by a very different group of people - SEGA in the West and in Japan are so seperate that investors have floated the idea of selling the Western operation off as its own separate business a few times, even. I just hope localizations actually do happen. I'm sure the Atlus USA team will fight for it though.

Ciel

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
It certainly makes me nervous. I would have preferred if they were acquired by a company like GungHo instead. Hopefully it'll end well.

The problem really is that these things are handled by a very different group of people - SEGA in the West and in Japan are so seperate that investors have floated the idea of selling the Western operation off as its own separate business a few times, even. I just hope localizations actually do happen. I'm sure the Atlus USA team will fight for it though.
I dont even think they did a good job with them

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Exactly how I feel. It's not like it was Sega who bought them. It was Sega Sammy Holdings. Atlus won't just roll over, either, and they know their games better than anyone. I'd like to think they'll let Atlus continue what they're doing since it's been serving them well.

Exactly how I feel. It's not like it was Sega who bought them. It was Sega Sammy Holdings. Atlus won't just roll over, either, and they know their games better than anyone. I'd like to think they'll let Atlus continue what they're doing since it's been serving them well.
So far when a company gets bought by another, the end results have not been satisfactory

Keriaku

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 26, 2013
As people have been saying, from what I gather everyone involved doesn't want to mess with Atlus itself. They seem to be on the up and up with the hugely popular Persona series going strong, a fresh, solid entry of SMT and capable HD development with Catherine. I can't see Sega doing anything to slow them down.

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
Only time will tell.

As long as Sega doesn't the impact the localization of Atlus's game (particularly the SMT and Persona series.) I think the new acquisition will work out for all parties involved. (The company and the consumers alike.)

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
Interestingly enough, SEGA stated that they wouldn't mind letting Atlus use some of their dormant IPs.

Thoughts? Opinions? Skies of Arcadia 2?

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I'm more comfortable with Sega opposed to when the rumor was it would be Nintendo. Not that I'm hating on Nintendo, I just think Sega is a better fit for Atlus' style of games. Nintendo has a habit of censoring things that just don't need to be and I don't want that with my beloved Atlus franchises.