Shadow of the Colossus/PS2 gems

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I nearly played it, was gonna buy it off of PSN but I never did. It looks amazing though. That MASSIVE landscape to explore. ICO was free for PS plus so i'm hoping SotC is next.

AuroraXIII

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
New Zealand
One of my all time favourites. Action-adventure is my favourite genre, so I have a strong affinity with SotC. And yes, this game is basically interactive art.
The game achieved a good balance between minimalistic design and colossal scale. I've played it many times yet it's always an incredible experience.

Last edited:

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favorite PS2 games, and I now have the HD version on PSN as well. I have a few quibbles with horse control and the default button set up, but being able to change said setup was really nice. It took me a long time to get passed the electric eel-type Colossus in that one lake, because I have a pretty intense fear of leviathans in the ocean. If they'd had a Colossus that was actually in the sea, I doubt I would ever have been able to complete the game.

My favorite Colossus to fight is the "horse" whom you have to trick into looking into one of four sits of barrows, then run out another and climb up its back. My least favorite aside from the lake colossus is the s[piny lizard thing that shoots thunderbolts at you.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
This actually reminded me of topic on gamefaqs( hope it's ok to mention it) about the person that was playing SotC and she thought she found a secret Colossus that was far away, but it was a save temple or whatever at a funny angle that made it look like a large structure in the distance.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
Yeah, I saw that, too! But I don't think they posted a picture so I never knew what they were referring to. But aside from that, has anyone else made it to the top of Dormin's temple, to the Forbidden Garden? Back in 2007 I finally built enough stamina to make it to the top, crossed the bridge (which took forever)...how the fruit actually permanently lowers your health and you can see where Dormin's spirit spoke through... I'll shut up now. I feel like I'm rambling. xD
Yeah, I made it to the top. After exploring I decided to jump down the hole Dormin's voice rumbles through and, of course, died. I was a little disappointed to find nothing cool at the end of the bridge, but it was interesting that wind kept you from escaping the Sealed Lands.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
There's also the NomadColossus or something like that on YouTube...he/she has hacked into the game and uncovered some really interesting stuff. Hidden colossi, a parachute...it's really amazing.
Nomad is mentioned a lot in that article, actually.

Tsukiyomi

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 26, 2013
The basement
I've seen the video where that one person found the hidden dam in the game, really amazing. Imagine SotC coming out on the PS3 in the first place. All those myths would probably be true then.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Another thing...what are your guys' view on the framerate in the game? Personally I never noticed until it was brought up and then I noticed of course, but do you think it hampers the gameplay during colossi battles? I know plenty of people who have issues with the framerate slowing down to sometimes 22FPS or lower, so...what say you?
(An example of a game with framerate issues that isn't mediocre, ahem.)
It's there, but practically nonexistent in the HD versions. I never had an issue since the framerate could help trying to keep a hold of the colossi.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Bought Ico and SotC HD and did really enjoy them. I like how there's very little narrative or explanation as to what's going on.

Tough to remember most of the colossi now but, I think the last giant-like one was quite epic. And of course the one which flies around and you have to get on his back.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I've only played the HD version, which means I didn't get to play the original when it was around. It goes without saying that I found some of the mechanics dated; but I loved the game as a whole. The atmosphere is incredible. A friend of mine says the lack of anything in the world (aside for a few lizards) and the empty world make it feel dull, dead; but maybe that's the beauty of it. If I could erase the memory of having played a game to replay it, it would be this one.

ImminentBread

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 28, 2013
What I love most about the game is the incredible scenery. You can climb to the top of just about any save shrine in the world and be greeted by an amazing view.
Never played the original on PS2, but I'm sure it would look just as beautiful in a lower resolution as a high one.