Sora96's Drakengard 3 Review

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Drakengard 3 is an action role-playing game developed by Access Games and published by Square Enix exclusively for the PlayStation 3.

I've never played the first two games, and it's highly unlikely I ever will.

Firstly, I can accept below par PS3 graphics but this looks like an upscaled PS2 game. Vita games look better than this. The art direction and colours are uninspired and make it look even worse.

The story is a complete trainwreck, series creator & director Taro Yoko wrote this game and it's disgusting. The gist of this is a girl wants to kill her five sisters to gain power and take their disciples and sleep with them. No, I did not make that up. Half the game's story and dialogue revolves around protagonist Zero and her disciples wanting to have sex. One guy is so creepy he moans at the most stupid things like scissors or Zero calling someone stupid. There's also an old man claiming he's 22-years-old and he also wants to sleep with Zero. It's all disgusting. Zero also has a pet dragon who she calls dumb and stupid for half the game and the dragon just does its business where ever it feels like. There's also alternative endings but the game isn't worth replaying for them, god no.

Gameplay wise it's an okay action-RPG but it can get repetitive and annoying. You will keep doing the same tasks and even the game's "side-quests" are usually just smashing a few chests in a minute to get a standard upgrade material. The items you carry are also very limited you'll find yourself only being able to carry 3 small potions for most of the game. Jumping is also poorly executed. There's also no difficulty options. Camera's pretty bad too. UI is decent though.

And don't get me started on the frame rate. When you combine it with the game's other issues it can get really annoying.

Music and sound effects are good but nothing to brag about.

Voicing acting and lip-sync are mediocre.

Drakengard 3 is an okay action-RPG at its base but the disgusting story, technical problems and repetitiveness makes this a bad game.

5/10

There's also alternative endings but the game isn't worth replaying for them, god no.
Contrary to your belief, it is, as you learn more about Zero's motivation for her killing spree (I won't spoil stuff, but this goes deeper than what you learn in the first "branch"), also you do not - I repeat DO NOT - need to play through the entire game multiple times to reach the true finale. You're doing the game a huge disservice here. Most of the additional endings can be achieved by playing through a chapter that is about... 2 to 3 hours, at best.

While I do agree that from a technical and gameplay standpoint, this game is nothing to write home about and the story is a matter of taste, the music however is brilliant and all in all, DG3 is an experience worth having. I certainly did not regret playing through all of it and buying all the extra chapter DLC.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Wasn't a fan of this game, either. Here's my review, which I also gave 5/10 last year.

Found it incredibly difficult to like any of the characters, and the storytelling was very convoluted, with little explanations as to what and why things were happening.

A shame, because I also missed out on Drakengard 1 and 2, and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Needless to say, D3 left a sour taste.