South Park: The Stick of Truth

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
So, I wanted to make a thread about this to link to my review, but also to say that I think it's the most magnificent and refreshing RPG I've played in a while. It's a vulgar, hilarious Paper Mario with some really good design going for it - even if it is made to be playable even by complete RPG newbies.

Is anybody getting this? Any fans of the TV show here?

http://www.rpgsite.net/review/3358-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-review

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
It's on my radar. Looks very clever and I always loved the humor of the show.

If you had to compare this game's battle/level/equip system to any specific (or possibly a mix) of RPGs that have been released before it - what would you pick?

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
It's on my radar. Looks very clever and I always loved the humor of the show.

If you had to compare this game's battle/level/equip system to any specific (or possibly a mix) of RPGs that have been released before it - what would you pick?
Very, very much Paper Mario in terms of how the moment-to-moment combat feels. The equipment & character progression systems are far deeper in this than that, though, more in line with what you'd expect from Obsidian's past work.

Blackbeltsam

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Mar 8, 2014
I just beat this game, and here's what I have to say:

I wanna play it again. It is just that awesome. Seriously, I'd suggest this game to either South Park fans or RPG fans. Either works. And if you're a fan of both (like me) then you're golden.

SlankyZerm

Balamb Garden Freshman
UFFSite Veteran
Mar 9, 2014
Australia
I have been playing it today, I haven't laughed from a video game like this one ever. Yes it is highly vulgar and Highly controversial humour, I could put in some spoilers but trust me, it has some very out there parts.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
Played a little bit this morning and instantly fell in love with it. Helps that Butters is the first friend you make in the game, my favorite character from the show.

I wasn't prepared for the abortion part and I inadvertently castrated the poor guy. /playing on Steam here.

Butters' Professor Chaos is exquisitely useful so I tend to keep him around as well, but as a secondary partner, I've picked Cartman who has a surprisingly powerful uhh...anus.

There may well be a better game out this year, but I cannot resisting prematurely proclaiming that this could be my favourite game of the year, largely because I'm having such hysterical fun with this one that I'm not ready to touch anything serious for a while. I am super cereal.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Nice read. I want this game pretty bad but right now I've got too much other crap pre-ordered. Namely both versions of MGSV: Ground Zeroes and FFX/X-2. Plus I just bought Titanfall.

Wooooo. Just completed the game and I've possibly farted on someone's balls to do it.

Too busy for much of a proper review writeup, but just a few thoughts. Yeah, spoilers. There are end game spoilers:

- Princess Kenny theme continues to be amazing. I've seen the shorter sequence of it already in the console wars/Game of Thrones parody episodes, but I wasn't anticipating it to show up at that very, very late stage of the game. Nor was I expecting Kenny to become an out-of-nowhere final boss.

- I can sort of understand why the game isn't any longer than it already is. The recurring jokes and plot would certainly drag had it gone on for more than 30 hours or so. That being said, some jokes do drag, and such is the problem of a game that spans for like 12-15 hours rather than a standard episode. I know the Nazi zombie thing is supposed to satirise the overused cliched nature of many video games having Nazis and/or zombies as go-to villains (though arguably, I'd say Russians have supplanted Nazis as the favourite baddies to use), but it falls on its own sword a bit when you have to fight through so many Nazi zombie villains in the game anyway.

- 8-bit Canada continues to remain my favourite bit of the game.

- Butters is still my favourite companion and ally in battle, and I'm sure many others will concur with me on that. I love Butters. He's easily one of my favourite characters in the show and I'm glad I've been able to have him on my side as my primary friend.

- Being only a casual viewer of South Park (I've only seen the two or three seasons of it), many references are lost on me, but the ones I am familiar with have been a delight to see - even the tough Al Gore fight.

- The only bit of the game that really grossed me out? It's surprisingly the abortion clinic. Foetuses scare me in an irrational way, let's face it. It's mainly how they look, even in the very stylised cartoon style of South Park. Smashing that bottle only to see an aborted foetus come out of me actually made me jump, and I had an uncomfortable time with the Khloe Kardashian's giant aborted foetus boss. The rest of the game I was kind of okay with. My boyfriend squealed in horror at the bit where you can accidentally castrate Randy though. Y'know, the first abortion sequence.

- I've begun to suddenly say "Sparkle, sunshine!" in front of my friends ._____.

- I'd love to see this style of combat system emerge in another game. You know like in uhh, Paper Mario again. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I like the engaging nature of being on your toes with fingers friendly whenever someone executes a command, and not just having to sit back during an animation sequence.

- I'm very okay with the full price I paid for the Steam version. Yeah, a lower price would have been nice for a game that is ultimately on the short side for an RPG compared to the £5 I paid for Dragon Age: Origins and Awakening with all the other DLC content a while back during a sale, but for how much I enjoyed the game and its entertainment value? Still worth it.

- A bit of a shame there's not a bigger role for the girls. Wendy's kind of peripheral in this game.

Ehren

The Sunflower Knight
Site Staff
Sep 17, 2013
Bethany, Oklahoma
I don't really enjoy South Park and have no real interest in playing, but the system looks pretty good. My roommate bought it and has been playing, and upon failing to get passed the part with the probes he through the controller at me and offensively shouted "You're the gay one, you do it!". Having a lot of experience with button mashing games, I actually did complete the section for him in a matter of seconds, one-handed, without really paying attention except to make sure you still press X on the second part.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@Fleur That boss in the abortion clinic had me rolling on the floor laughing. Just ridiculous. The line that preceded it... my god.

If you haven't seen the episodes where you see more of the girls' little "council", you should, they're hilarious.

And... the bit of the game that really disturbed me was... well, let's just call it the 'last dungeon'? Man. Some of those visuals are rank.