Square Enix to reveal a new RPG in December (and it's not a remake)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Game Awards, PSX, SaGa and Jump Festa have all come and gone now.

He was either referring to Theatrythmn, SaGa Vita or worse - the FF smartphone game (I say worse because this means they are further warping what they mean when they said "console release").

The title above that falls closest to matching description would be SaGa Vita but it's also the one we learned the least about.

Unless of course, SE surprises us once more in the next 8 days.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Game Awards, PSX, SaGa and Jump Festa have all come and gone now.

He was either referring to Theatrythmn, SaGa Vita or worse - the FF smartphone game (I say worse because this means they are further warping what they mean when they said "console release").

The title above that falls closest to matching description would be SaGa Vita but it's also the one we learned the least about.

Unless of course, SE surprises us once more in the next 8 days.
Theres still one more event so square has one last chance

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
How big is this event? I think I shouldn't hold my breath and just assume the game was the new Saga title.

That's not entirely bad though, thank goodness it's not another mobile title...

Wazi the pa

Samurai Legend
Site Staff
Oct 26, 2013
Australia
How big is this event? I think I shouldn't hold my breath and just assume the game was the new Saga title.

That's not entirely bad though, thank goodness it's not another mobile title...
It's a convention of Anime (Animation), Comics & Games. It's Malaysia's version of a Comic Con in some sense minus the obvious things like Hollywood celebs etc.

http://comicfiesta.org/2014/

Fin

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I don't know what all the disappointment is about, I'm excited!! I wonder what a modern SaGa will be like. I hope there will be something as captivating as Asellus' story in it, though I feel like there won't. The only thing is, knowing how they are they probably wouldn't want to localize it. But it would be the same issue with a new IP too.

The PS4 is not a viable platform in Japan, so it makes sense why they are putting all their PS4 eggs in the FF basket (since it seems to be what foreign players care about, that and KH. They were probably afraid to release BD because of that). They would have to be crazy to announce a new IP for home consoles unless XV causes a renaissance.

Last edited:

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
It's a convention of Anime (Animation), Comics & Games. It's Malaysia's version of a Comic Con in some sense minus the obvious things like Hollywood celebs etc.

http://comicfiesta.org/2014/
Thank you Wazi! :)

I don't know what all the disappointment is about, I'm excited!! I wonder what a modern SaGa will be like. I hope there will be something as captivating as Asellus' story in it, though I feel like there won't. The only thing is, knowing how they are they probably wouldn't want to localize it. But it would be the same issue with a new IP too.

The PS4 is not a viable platform in Japan, so it makes sense why they are putting all their PS4 eggs in the FF basket (since it seems to be what foreign players care about, that and KH. They were probably afraid to release BD because of that). They would have to be crazy to announce a new IP for home consoles unless XV causes a renaissance.
I don't think anyone is upset, most were just hoping for a home console game, and I just looked more deeply into the SaGa games and Sqaure Enix have shown not to localize them, which is sad because now they don't even localize Dragon Quest anymore...

Fin

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
I honestly think we're going to have to wait and see if XV is massively successful enough for Squarenix to release home console games for new or niche series. They would be better off developing with a western market in mind for home console games, but they seem so out of touch that I wouldn't trust them to develop a game specifically for a foreign market.

I agree though that their track record of localizing games has gotten really bad. Feels like they assume western gamers are really dumb and can't handle anything that isn't full of flashy cinematics and "repeatedly press 'attack' to win" systems (which was their reason for not localizing romancing saga). They aren't entirely wrong because sure, some people don't like games with a steep learning curve and the critics are always the loudest, but there are also a lot of people who do enjoy them...

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Seiken Densetsu 5 will likely be on home console going by comments. And they need to expand their portfolio outside of 3DS for handheld so Vita makes a lot of sense. I'm quite happy that a proper new SaGa title is coming, whether it comes over or not doesn't matter to me. They're bringing back old IP's on current consoles, which is great. Plus, support for Vita.

We got Drakengard 3, too. I don't think it's ruled out. I actually think they're doing a lot better in terms of localization as of recent, especially keeping up with demand for dual audio. Dragon Quest being an exception, of course.

Fin

ShinRa SOLDIER
UFFSite Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Kanagawa, Japan
Yes it was SaGa. They said it would be a December reveal and that's the title they announced.

I wish there would be more than a title and concept art though... especially since they have been hinting at a new SaGa for at least a year now. Kind of an anticlimactic reveal especially since people are still confused. I want screens and a trailer. Also need to know what they meant by changing the SaGa formula because that could be good, or *disastrous*. Come on Squarenix, step up your game :(