Stella gets dropped from FF XV entirely

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
So Luna is actually the new heroine, replacing Stella in the upcoming Final Fantasy XV title.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...tm_source=plus.google.com&utm_campaign=buffer

According to Tabata, there was no way to make her work within the story. However they wanted to have a heroine in the game, so they created Luna. What are your thoughts on this? Would you have preferred Stella, or are you interested in what they'll do with Luna?

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
This is lame. The point of Stella vs. Luna is not the graphics or how they look, it's the personalities.

Stella appeared to be:
- Mature
- Confident
- Strong
- Able to go toe to toe with Noctis at a moments notice

Luna appears to be:
- Young and inexperienced
- Unsure of herself
- Probably weak / needs to be rescued
- Can she stand against Noctis? Or is her only role to stand beside him as a secondary?

If they ask for a second survey after demo 2.0, their scores will be vastly lower from my side now...

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
This is lame. The point of Stella vs. Luna is not the graphics or how they look, it's the personalities.

Stella appeared to be:
- Mature
- Confident
- Strong
- Able to go toe to toe with Noctis at a moments notice

Luna appears to be:
- Young and inexperienced
- Unsure of herself
- Probably weak / needs to be rescued
- Can she stand against Noctis? Or is her only role to stand beside him as a secondary?

If they ask for a second survey after demo 2.0, their scores will be vastly lower from my side now...
So for a survey detailing your thoughts on the content of demo 2.0 itself, you'd intentionally give scores that don't accurately represent the experience you had, because some character, in a trailer to a game completely unrelated to demo 2.0 isn't in the narrative anymore? OK. That makes sense.

I was incredulous that people were having such meltdowns over this.
Especially considering that she wasn't arbitrarily taken out of the story.

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
So for a survey detailing your thoughts on the content of demo 2.0 itself, you'd intentionally give scores that don't accurately represent the experience you had, because some character, in a trailer to a game completely unrelated to demo 2.0 isn't in the narrative anymore? OK. That makes sense.
Most certainly. Especially for any question that asks about character design (where design is more than just the look). I guess I was fine with what appeared to be more mature characters in their late teens/early twenties and wanted to see more of that. Not some young girl, sitting in a chair, holding her arms close to herself as she decides whether to eat strawberries or a red-bean bun for breakfast...

Once it's demonstrated that Luna can stand on her own and be a protagonist/antagonists on her on right, I'll change my tune. But as it stands the personalities are polar opposites and I feel that's a change for the worse.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Most certainly. Especially for any question that asks about character design (where design is more than just the look). I guess I was fine with what appeared to be more mature characters in their late teens/early twenties and wanted to see more of that. Not some young girl, sitting in a chair, holding her arms close to herself as she decides whether to eat strawberries or a red-bean bun for breakfast...

Once it's demonstrated that Luna can stand on her own and be a protagonist/antagonists on her on right, I'll change my tune. But as it stands the personalities are polar opposites and I feel that's a change for the worse.
Design is more than just appearance, yes. But you knew nothing of Stella's character/personality, Her pointing a sword at Noctis doesn't mean anything in all honesty... If that trailer showing Noct vs Stella wasn't a thing, you wouldn't even be saying this lol.
And what exactly are you basing your notion of "their personalities are polar opposites" on? Surely not their mannerisms and posturing?
Serah had very feminine mannerisms and ended up being a very strong female lead. Probably stronger than Lightning, who had a lot of inner turmoil.

I have an utter disdain for damsel characters, but it's way too soon to be making general statements about Luna based on a 5 second clip.
And low scoring a demo completely unrelated to this incident is just silly.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
I was hyped for Stella ever since she was revealed, so this feels like a punch in the gut even if it was predictable.
I liked Stella's design better. She looked more mature, while Luna's facial features appear a bit childish (something like Serah's). She also seemed like a very different type of character. The first time she was shown, Stella was a badass woman, strong enough to be Noctis's rival and probably a major antagonist for some part of the game. I was also excited for her relationship with Noctis, where it seemed that they like each other but have to fight for some reasons.

And now it's all gone.

We've seen only a few seconds of footage with Luna (sitting in a chair and making faces) and she gave off a strong "cute girl" vibe. I know it's just unsubstantiated speculation but I fear she'll end up being a damsel in distress that Noct has to rescue. But I'd best wait for more information about her before judging.
Tabata said that Luna is a different character with a different role in the story, so even if she is an interesting character in her own right, I'll still be sad that Stella was scrapped. Maybe the black haired girl from 2013 trailer will fill the "badass woman" void left by Stella?

rboxman

Balamb Garden Freshman
Feb 20, 2015
If that trailer showing Noct vs Stella wasn't a thing, you wouldn't even be saying this lol.
Except that scene did exist :) That was the draw to the game for many, much more than the Final Fantasy name itself.

I admit I'm extra frustrated about this though. I just need something else to get excited in the game now and Kagari's buzzkill isn't helping lol :). I'm still looking forward to gamescom but I've learned with Destiny... if the game isn't close to what I want to seek out, it won't last for me.

coffee-san

Sphere Hunter
Mar 18, 2015
Except that scene did exist :) That was the draw to the game for many, much more than the Final Fantasy name itself.

I admit I'm extra frustrated about this though. I just need something else to get excited in the game now and Kagari's buzzkill isn't helping lol :). I'm still looking forward to gamescom but I've learned with Destiny... if the game isn't close to what I want to seek out, it won't last for me.
I mean, it doesn't say much in hindsight, though.
Noctis in early Versus XIII trailers was shown sitting in a car looking pensive and brooding, and people quickly hailed him as Cloud/Squall 2.0.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
It might have been one of the reasons he left...
And what if HE(Nomura) ACTUALLY made the change ("axing"Stella:meh:) and he leaving the project was simply SE trying to avoid their games taking long to develop, hence Nomura leaving to work on KHIII. Why nobody has thought on that possibility yet ?

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
And what if HE(Nomura) ACTUALLY made the change ("axing"Stella:meh:) and he leaving the project was simply SE trying to avoid their games taking long to develop, hence Nomura leaving to work on KHIII. Why nobody has thought on that possibility yet ?
Plenty of people have speculated that Nomura's departure has to do with him taking too long and not getting the job done.