Tetsuya Nomura no Longer Directing Final Fantasy XV

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
http://kotaku.com/tetsuya-nomura-is-no-longer-directing-final-fantasy-xv-1635707308

Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda:

In reviewing our development structure, we have decided to assign Hajime Tabata as the new director for Final Fantasy XV. Currently, Tabata and the entire development team are working, whole-heartedly, towards completing the production of Final Fantasy XV and ensuring the delivery of the highest quality Final Fantasy title to date. We invite every one of our fans to view the fruits of our labor through Final Fantasy XV's demo, and promise to present a game that further surpasses expectations when the finished product is released.

As the director of Final Fantasy XV, Tetsuya Nomura has mainly worked on the original concept for the story and universe in addition to creating the characters. Hereafter, he will be focusing his efforts on the production of titles that can only be made possible by Nomura, himself, and delivering products that exceed the quality of past titles, starting with another one of his representative projects, Kingdom Hearts III. Square Enix will continue to work on these titles with the best staff formation in an effort to deliver them to everyone as soon as possible and appreciates your continued support.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
It makes sense honestly, the groundwork for XV is laid, I trust Tabata and the team to continue the work set forward to bring this game to completion.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Makes sense. He's worked on it for so long and no real focus to KH3.

All the groundwork is there.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I'm willing to bet that once Nomura has fulfilled his obligations with KHIII, he's leaving Square Enix.
I don't see where you're coming from... XV took longer than it should, but I'm glad that it's not rushed. We all know what Nomura is capable of, honestly it's only been a year since the rebranding went public, I don't blame Nomura as the sole reason as to why XV has been taking so long, I don't see why they would let him go considering all the work he does for the company.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I just hope that Nomura can move on to do just as well with KH3. If he's done and needs to focus on KH stuff, so be it. It's his baby too.
I just hope all the weight of the long wait doesn't get dumped on him.
He's talented, not perfect, but not all of what happens with a game is his fault.
Same with Toriyama with 13s. Even though I don't like his style, he's not fully to blame.
Let's move one people and not argue over this.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
This strikes me as a sort of walking the plank move; things obviously weren't working with him in the Director's chair. I feel like either they prodded him and he jumped to KH before he was pushed, or they did something he really didn't like surrounding FF15 (like, maybe, putting a final delivery date on it! Ha ha.)

It's worth noting that the three Directors who have left that role a main line FF title while in process were all out of the Square Enix door within 24 months. All of them also quietly stepped down for other projects and then left completely some months later.

Sep 26, 2013
This strikes me as a sort of walking the plank move; things obviously weren't working with him in the Director's chair. I feel like either they prodded him and he jumped to KH before he was pushed, or they did something he really didn't like surrounding FF15 (like, maybe, putting a final delivery date on it! Ha ha.)

It's worth noting that the three Directors who have left that role a main line FF title while in process were all out of the Square Enix door within 24 months. All of them also quietly stepped down for other projects and then left completely some months later.
It's even more suspicious since Matsuda is the one talking here and not Nomura.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
While normally I would be worried, this game wouldn't be what it is without Nomura, I honestly feel like directing this game might have been too much for him.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
That may be true but Nomura is different from the previous directors of XV. Nomura has Kingdom Hearts and I'm against the prediction of Nomura leaving SE since Nomura made Kingdom Hearts and the series won't be the same without him.
And Matsuno made Ogre Battle/FF Tactics and Ivalice, and Tanaka was THE MAN who pitched the idea of an FF MMO and saw it it to release and through many prosperous years. No one man or woman is ever more important than the company or the product, really.

I trust the company to make the smart decisions either way, mind.