Upcoming Remakes and possibilities of them

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Who do you vote?

• Maybe I'm a lion

• I sang your song

• For the future of our children.

• Prior

Results are only viewable after voting.

Noktis.Ouji

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 16, 2016
Since FFVIIR is already on and well in development.. rumours have spread around about what's next..

To add to that Mr. Katano, director of XII, had a comment earlier saying:
“[Final Fantasy 12] is a PS2 title, and you look at the other titles in the series and technologically anything before the PS2 era is going to be quite difficult to do a modern remaster of to a suitable level of quality, that means [a future game] is far more likely to be a remake.”
he also stressed that it's all up to the fans:
“We really have to hear their voices on that, if they want to see a remake or a remaster of a certain game then that's more likely to be the one we go for. I've personally been working at Square Enix for 20 years now and I've got a lot of memories from that time. I think the way that we look at it is not the game that we would like to remake it's really down to what the players, the fans, want to see."

A lot of speculation highlight either VIII or IX ... these 2 goes head to head as fans favs..

What do you think?

Noctis_Caelum

Chocobo Knight
Jul 15, 2014
"A lot of speculation highlight either VIII or IX ... these 2 goes head to head as fans favs."
What about VIII??
I read so many comments about VIII that the story is dissapointing/bad compared to the other titles. I don't exactly understand this.
Sure VII was the first RPG in 3D with a new technology and the first FF game of people who played it.
Personally VIII is my favorite game (and I played VI, VII but not IX yet).
It has the witches (which I really like and Edea/Ultimecia is my best antagonist/final battle), the red moon, the outer space, gigantic future city, many different locations, characters, it has tragic, mystery, fantasy.
VIII has a wide variety of everything, so many moments which you can remember easily even years after you've played it.

Noktis.Ouji

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 16, 2016
"A lot of speculation highlight either VIII or IX ... these 2 goes head to head as fans favs."
What about VIII??
I read so many comments about VIII that the story is dissapointing/bad compared to the other titles. I don't exactly understand this.
Sure VII was the first RPG in 3D with a new technology and the first FF game of people who played it.
Personally VIII is my favorite game (and I played VI, VII but not IX yet).
It has the witches (which I really like and Edea/Ultimecia is my best antagonist/final battle), the red moon, the outer space, gigantic future city, many different locations, characters, it has tragic, mystery, fantasy.
VIII has a wide variety of everything, so many moments which you can remember easily even years after you've played it.
I do actually share your opinion regarding VII, I didn't like the story but I admit it was a revolution in JRPG gameplay,
((STORY WISE)) I played VI before VII that is why I was lost in VII's story, getting out of VI to VII wasn't good. What I didn't like is that it lacked the element of "fantasy" which we got back in VIII (+ Cloud living as Zack is a total mess, the sci-fi ish theme was a turn off), that is why I like VIII more .. not a favourite though.
VIII portrayed a modern fantasy so well at that time.
In comparison to IX, VIII seems grand.
Aside from the main reason of IX production, it was a light fun instalment, unlike VIII.

So if fans choose whats the next remake, I do think the majority would want VIII, but would SE actually pull a project on that scale after the mission of VIIR?

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/05...aystation-final-fantasy-remakes-could-happen/

Apparently one of SE's directors spoke of the possibility of there being another remake in the future, but it'll probably be influenced by reception. X and beyond are still fairly fresh on a good number of people's mind. I believe a few of I - V have been updated to play on handhelds. VII is already in the process of getting a remake so that leaves VI, VIII, IX. Of the three, VIII could benefit the most from a remake in terms of improvement from the original game, but VI is pretty iconic in the series as for some its the pinnacle of the SNES era when it comes to FF.

Noktis.Ouji

PSICOM Soldier
Jul 16, 2016
http://comicbook.com/gaming/2017/05...aystation-final-fantasy-remakes-could-happen/

Apparently one of SE's directors spoke of the possibility of there being another remake in the future, but it'll probably be influenced by reception. X and beyond are still fairly fresh on a good number of people's mind. I believe a few of I - V have been updated to play on handhelds. VII is already in the process of getting a remake so that leaves VI, VIII, IX. Of the three, VIII could benefit the most from a remake in terms of improvement from the original game, but VI is pretty iconic in the series as for some its the pinnacle of the SNES era when it comes to FF.
I actually voted VI like O M G IF THAT HAPPENS! but I guess since Katano san mentioned (Playstation) that narrowed the options to VIII and IX (PS1) instalments..

Till now I did 2 polls and VIII won in both .. I agree that VI is iconic to SE but if it's "up to the fans" then I guess popularity goes to VIII, especially western fans.

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
if they choose to remade FFIX in the near future, would you want them to change the SD/cartoon style or go the Dissidia route?

Honestly, I don't care for more remakes and remasters. Much as I appreciate most of those they made on DS, 3DS and PSP - Valkyrie Profile Lenneth, Dragon Quests IV-VII (and to some degree VIII), Chrono Trigger, Tactics Ogre (hey, here's an idea - MAKE ANOTHER OGRE BATTLE. YOU OWN QUEST.), Star Ocean 1&2 and there're probably some I've forgotten (oh yes I did - Estpolis, but then I remember that that game was rubbish) - but the whole redoing thing has become annoying to a large degree. REmaster of Final Fantasy XII. REmake of Final Fantasy VII. Possible REvisit of the Final Fantasy X universe. RE, RE, RE and now talk of more RE-thingys.

I don't mind bringing the classics back, sometimes with a new coat of paint. I appreciate games being re-released on newer systems so people who couldn't play them back in the day, when these games were all-new, get the opportunity to play them. I love that and I wish it was done more thoroughly, esp. on consoles. (Says He Who Owns ZORK)

But for the Final Fantasy series, relying on the past has become the status quo. And these remakes won't be any cheaper than an all-new game if they want to "have the quality live up to today's standards". I'd favour a release of Final Fantasy XVI and XVII (even if they turn out to be not as great as people are likely to hype them up to be) within the next five years over another decade of RE-thingys of old games, all in all, though if Square Enix HAS TO dig in their history, maybe, y'know... don't just dig up Final Fantasy.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
@AnGer-dono The continued existence of Remasters isn't just tied to SE. It's more of a console sided trend in general. It does have its pros and cons. One thing is evident though; it is a side effect of new IPs being more difficult to succeed on the triple AAA level and existing IPs having longer development times (typically due to increased quality and scope). With that considered, a Remake would have more potential to be more successful than a brand new IP in a good number of cases. Keep in mind, a majority of Remakes have been much smaller scale ending up on a phone or handheld. VII is really the first Remake that I can think of that is going to get a AAA level treatment for a home console.

The continued existence of Remasters isn't just tied to SE. It's more of a console sided trend in general.
I am aware of that.
It does have its pros and cons.
Which are?
One thing is evident though; it is a side effect of new IPs being more difficult to succeed on the triple AAA level and existing IPs having longer development times (typically due to increased quality and scope)
On the subject of Final Fantasy specifically, I have a hard time believing the former is the case - Final Fantasy is an established brand/IP and has been for decades. Publishing an actually all-new IP would be difficult, yes, but not impossible to do if the publisher knows what they are doing from a marketing and QC standpoint. And the latter, I believe, is more due to scope (which I consider a false necessity tbh, but ymmv), sometimes mismanagement and some other factors (*cough*reinventing the wheel*cough*), but that's not a problem specific to the AAA side of the industry, it can happen to smaller projects too. (Mighty No. 9 is a perfect example of a game being hampered by mismanagement and the developers aiming for more than they could handle)
With that considered, a Remake would have more potential to be more successful than a brand new IP in a good number of cases.
I think it depends on the general hype behind the initial product. Final Fantasy VII is already a massive, wide-known game that has retained some degree of cultural relevance. Most cases though? I'd argue getting, say, a remake of the original Fallout in the vein of the recent entries off the ground would cost more money than it'd be worth. (Never mind that fans of the game would ravage it)
Keep in mind, a majority of Remakes have been much smaller scale ending up on a phone or handheld. VII is really the first Remake that I can think of that is going to get a AAA level treatment for a home console.
True. Well, we'll see how it plays out - I think a lot of whether or not they would actually go ahead with remakes for VIII and IX will largely depend on the overall success of the VII remake. Which I, frankly, still have my doubts about.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
True. Well, we'll see how it plays out - I think a lot of whether or not they would actually go ahead with remakes for VIII and IX will largely depend on the overall success of the VII remake. Which I, frankly, still have my doubts about.
Why so?

As @T.O.T pointed out, this game is really the first of its kind - a 90s early-3D 'turn-based' role-playing game being remade as a 2010s AAA action role-playing game, with both an Open World/sandbox and an episodic release to boot, which makes it wholly unprecedented. Yes, the latter two had already existed a priori, but neither within their respective contexts. From that perspective, it is as much an 'established IP', as it is an entirely 'new thing' and, as such, I feel it is questionable whether or not it will be received well enough to offset the costs for its entire run - it is entirely possible for people to abandon the game after the first "chapter" as it seems to have been the case with Falcom's Trails in the Sky series, both SC and The 3rd sold noticeably less than the first chapter, according to SteamSpy (see here), something that can very well happen to the FF VII remake. Granted, comparing Final Fantasy VII as a brand to the Trails series - which, in spite of positive reception, is fairly niche - makes very little sense, but also seeing how successive installments and off-shoots of other Final Fantasy games have sold less than their main counterpart doesn't put me at ease with the model Square Enix is pursuing here.

I also want to beg one question - for whom are these remakes intended? I fail to see a market here - fans of the classic versions will more likely stick to these and for a younger gaming audience, Final Fantasy VII won't matter as much as for gamers who came to the series/genre back in the 90s. As-is, I perceive these remakes as twofold - one, a place for Square Enix to test whether or not their multi-installment/episodic release model can work for their JRPG œuvre and two, a curiousity for the folk who liked the game 20 years ago and are interested in how it could look in a contemporary AAA environment.

Only time can prove me wrong about these things - and it better ought to, I don't enjoy being right when I'm being negative.

Hey Everyone

Keyblade Master
Dec 30, 2016
Unknown, Unknown
As @T.O.T pointed out, this game is really the first of its kind - a 90s early-3D 'turn-based' role-playing game being remade as a 2010s AAA action role-playing game, with both an Open World/sandbox and an episodic release to boot, which makes it wholly unprecedented. Yes, the latter two had already existed a priori, but neither within their respective contexts. From that perspective, it is as much an 'established IP', as it is an entirely 'new thing' and, as such, I feel it is questionable whether or not it will be received well enough to offset the costs for its entire run - it is entirely possible for people to abandon the game after the first "chapter" as it seems to have been the case with Falcom's Trails in the Sky series, both SC and The 3rd sold noticeably less than the first chapter, according to SteamSpy (see here), something that can very well happen to the FF VII remake. Granted, comparing Final Fantasy VII as a brand to the Trails series - which, in spite of positive reception, is fairly niche - makes very little sense, but also seeing how successive installments and off-shoots of other Final Fantasy games have sold less than their main counterpart doesn't put me at ease with the model Square Enix is pursuing here.

I also want to beg one question - for whom are these remakes intended? I fail to see a market here - fans of the classic versions will more likely stick to these and for a younger gaming audience, Final Fantasy VII won't matter as much as for gamers who came to the series/genre back in the 90s. As-is, I perceive these remakes as twofold - one, a place for Square Enix to test whether or not their multi-installment/episodic release model can work for their JRPG œuvre and two, a curiousity for the folk who liked the game 20 years ago and are interested in how it could look in a contemporary AAA environment.

Only time can prove me wrong about these things - and it better ought to, I don't enjoy being right when I'm being negative.

"I also want to beg one question - for whom are these remakes intended? I fail to see a market here - fans of the classic versions will more likely stick to these and for a younger gaming audience, Final Fantasy VII won't matter as much as for gamers who came to the series/genre back in the 90s. "
I heavily disagree as someone that wasn't a 90s kid, I love FF7 to death, especially with it's over exposure I would say it matters a whole lot now. Also a FF7 Remake especially with how it is right now, can easily appeal to young gamers, hell look at Advent Children that's probably where a lot of people nowadays point to Cloud being a badass, and I suspect he'll probably have moves that like that in the FF7 Remake which definitely appeal to people nowadays.

T.O.T

Blitzball Champion
Feb 2, 2017
I won't list them all but a common pro is that Remasters are typically bundled under one package as we have seen multiple times. That means if the games were originally spread across multiple platforms, it's now possible to have them all under one system. The KH series probably benefits from that greatly. Sometimes Remasters add content that wasn't in the original version/whatever region version, so it can create some incentive to purchase the titles again. Some other Remasters improve on the fps such as what the God of War 3 Remaster did.

There's however a few cons with Remasters. Remasters, while a cheaper investment, may also mean that company is spending less time on producing a new IP. Some Remasters are also questionable if there are few improvements/added content on top of being a more recent memory title.

You may disagree here, but forming a new IP is no easy task. It's easier in many cases to keep an old IP going simply because it has gotten recognition. New IPs often have trouble getting ground because they don't have that series recognition (and perhaps even company recognition in some cases), along with getting slandered for being too radically different from the norm and/or getting slander for being too much copy and paste with another game as possibilities. Games on the AAA level create bigger risk if failure takes place. Back during say the PS1 era, many AAA games could be completely in about 3 years max. Now and these days, that's the bare minimum in many cases. Greater risks eventually leads to less risk being taken which leads to more experience that feel too samey.