What´s an "awful line" in a conversation/chat?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
What´s the definition of an "awful line" and why they´re awful in the first place?

Could someone explain this to a non-native english speaker? (I do understand what the lines mean but not why they´re awful)

Cause all these these "awful lines" I read and that people look down on, I barely see them as being anything close to "awful", they´re more likely harmless funny lines.

The GemiKnight

Clan Centurio Member
Nov 11, 2016
Durban, South Africa
People have different definitions of "awful" but I guess an awful line in a conversation/chat is something that you would normally not want to hear/talk about. An obvious one would be anything that is offensive. At the same time, being constantly negative in a conversation is a sure way to lose the interest of the person you are conversing with. Something like complaining about your job or a certain aspect of your life. I have compassion for others but I personally don't want to hear someone go on and on about why their life sucks.

I hope this helps answer your question.