What will come out first? Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts III?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What will come out first?

• Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • Kingdom Hearts III

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Sep 26, 2013
As you all know, both Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III have a release window set and we're probably going to learn about them very soon. I figured now would be a good time to ask a poll question.

Which game will come out first? Final Fantasy XV or Kingdom Hearts 3?

Initially, I figured FFXV would come out first but now I'm not so sure anymore. Unreal Engine 4 seems to be doing wonders for Kingdom Hearts III right now and there has been speculation that it could actually come out before FFXV. Shocker right?

Personally, I think it's going to be a close one but what will come out first? Hmm...

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I don't where that sensation (KHIII coming first) comes from, XV is the one that seens more develop of the 2 (for instance KHIII has yet to choose some worlds to be created) as well as Luminuous Engine doesn't seen to have as much troubles as Crystal Tools did back then.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
Final Fantasy XV is starting its marketing campaign next month so it should come out sometime in 2016. I dont think KH3 will come out anytime in 2016 its way too early in development 2017 sure.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Final Fantasy XV is starting its marketing campaign next month so it should come out sometime in 2016. I dont think KH3 will come out anytime in 2016 its way too early in development 2017 sure.
I think the game is no longer in that state, it might already be in the mid point, still 2017 is my bet.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Is Luminous even ready? At least UE4 is a thing. And KH3 sounds like a more... I don't know, focused project? With XV, after the reboot, I have this idea that they're literally using Duscae as their starting point (outside of the story). However, XV is supposedly kicking its full marketing campaign next month, so...

Anyway, well have to see once Gamescom arrives. For now, I'm voting KH3.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
Is Luminous even ready? At least UE4 is a thing. And KH3 sounds like a more... I don't know, focused project?
It depends on how you define ready. The FFXV demo runs on a fully workable engine, so Luminous is mostly finished. It isn't feature complete or fully optimized yet, but they could feasibly release the game as it is.

Of course, "What is Luminous Studio?" should be the next question. The simple answer is that it's whatever technology FFXV runs on. Given that Square Enix integrated the Luminous programmers directly into the FFXV team, it sounds as if their work will be uniquely tailored toward the game's specific requirements, much like a Crystal Tools game or FFXIV 2.0 (which may utilize Crystal Tools libraries and basic tools, unless they reinvented the wheel and trained all developers on it in record time).

As for Luminous as a flexible platform spanning multiple types of games, it's incomplete and will probably never be complete.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
It depends on how you define ready. The FFXV demo runs on a fully workable engine, so Luminous is mostly finished. It isn't feature complete or fully optimized yet, but they could feasibly release the game as it is.

Of course, "What is Luminous Studio?" should be the next question. The simple answer is that it's whatever technology FFXV runs on. Given that Square Enix integrated the Luminous programmers directly into the FFXV team, it sounds as if their work will be uniquely tailored toward the game's specific requirements, much like a Crystal Tools game or FFXIV 2.0 (which may utilize Crystal Tools libraries and basic tools, unless they reinvented the wheel and trained all developers on it in record time).

As for Luminous as a flexible platform spanning multiple types of games, it's incomplete and will probably never be complete. Square Enix announced Kingdom Hearts III when the suite was still in the works, but they shifted gears shortly after.
FFXIV: ARR used a custom-game engine.

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
May 26, 2014
Doubt KH3 will be out before FFXV, the KH3 E3 trailer even had its HUD pasted on with the MP bar and command menu not even working or moving, while FFXV already has a playable demo released based on a 60% build of the game and has its final game promotion starting at Gamescom in 2 weeks.

KH3 right now also looks far more rough than XV did in the E3 2013 gameplay trailer, also factoring in the fact that proper development for KH3 only took off in 2014 after switching to UE4 while all the Luminous devs are working on XV, and in late 2014 Nomura hadn't even finished choosing the worlds or finished writing the story.

While on the other hand XV has been in full development since July 2012 with its reboot from Versus to XV, and with the first thing they nailed down was the few story changes from Versus to XV such as being a single game instead of leading into sequels and that meaning having Stella reworked into Luna and the intro tweaked, they've been continuing on with that direction since with most of the alpha prototype Versus stuff done in 2010 and seen in 2011 still being there in the demo too like animations, actions, systems etc.

I don't know why people suddenly think KH3 is coming before XV just because we saw a KH3 trailer at this E3 and not one for XV.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
FFXIV: ARR used a custom-game engine.
Many components are custom made. Naoki Yoshida confirmed a new core system, server architecture, and graphics renderer built using advice from the lead engineer of Luminous. Whether everything is new has never been stated, but enough has changed that you might as well call it brand new. For example, the developers of Neverwinter Nights 2 (eventually marketed as using the "Electron Engine") regret announcing the game as an Aurora-engine title because they replaced most of the modules, yet players continued to accuse them of recycling old technology.

The thing about Crystal Tools is that it's fundamentally little more than a set of shared libraries and utilities. Many of those things are still useful, and rewriting everything from scratch down to the libraries would require immense amounts of unnecessary work. Square Enix's then-CTO once mentioned that they were still using Crystal Tools for Dragon Quest X and Kingdom Hearts, so it isn't a complete bust.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Doubt KH3 will be out before FFXV, the KH3 E3 trailer even had its HUD pasted on with the MP bar and command menu not even working or moving, while FFXV already has a playable demo released based on a 60% build of the game and has its final game promotion starting at Gamescom in 2 weeks.

KH3 right now also looks far more rough than XV did in the E3 2013 gameplay trailer, also factoring in the fact that proper development for KH3 only took off in 2014 after switching to UE4 while all the Luminous devs are working on XV, and in late 2014 Nomura hadn't even finished choosing the worlds or finished writing the story.

While on the other hand XV has been in full development since July 2012 with its reboot from Versus to XV, and with the first thing they nailed down was the few story changes from Versus to XV such as being a single game instead of leading into sequels and that meaning having Stella reworked into Luna and the intro tweaked, they've been continuing on with that direction since with most of the alpha prototype Versus stuff done in 2010 and seen in 2011 still being there in the demo too like animations, actions, systems etc.

I don't know why people suddenly think KH3 is coming before XV just because we saw a KH3 trailer at this E3 and not one for XV.
That and the KH team has also been working on the HD collections. Lol.

Yause

Balamb Garden Freshman
Aug 30, 2014
I guess the gist of it is that at the end of the day, every Crystal Tools game sports a radically different engine. Because the engineers weren't thinking in terms of architecture, each game required specially tailored components including different renderers (FFXIV 1.0 uses a different renderer than FFXIII or FFXIV 2.0), so it would be misleading to say that the technology for Final Fantasy XIII and its sequels is the same as that of Final Fantasy XIV or Dragon Quest X.

Luminous was supposed to fix all that by finally offering something closer to a one-size-fits-all solution that requires a lot less customization.

I'm putting my money on FF XV, but I will say that they're going to be released within the same year - FF XV in February or March and KH III in autumn or shortly before christmas. Both are also going to get a worldwide release within the same week respectively.

In a best-case scenario, their schedule (for US and EU) will look like this:

FF XV in early 2016, followed by Star Ocean 5 in summer 2016, Kingdom Hearts III in autumn 2016 and finally Nier New Project in early 2017 - or maybe even late 2016 - and WoFF in 2017. (Handheld titles not included)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
I don't where that sensation (KHIII coming first) comes from
It comes from Unreal Engine 4 being a fast and efficient engine. Good performance and easy to develop for. The switch from Luminous to UE4 means they can focus on development and not have to worry about devoting resources to a proprietary engine and any setbacks that could come along with it. If they need help, they can get in touch with Epic's Japanese office. In short, the switch means that they're saving time and can get the game out faster.

Kingdom Hearts III is a pretty straightforward game that is not as big and ambitious as Final Fantasy XV is. Self-explanatory I would think. They're two different types of games that are trying to achieve and do different things. They're not on the same level.

Development seems to have been going pretty smooth so far. No real signs of development hell or any major setbacks. The only issue I'm aware of is getting the visual style to look right. Doesn't seem to be a issue anymore and probably never really was a major issue to begin with.

E315 giving us a gameplay demo with more information to come in mid-August and early November at the D23 events. We've also got other tidbits such as Nomura saying that they'll be able to announce a new world soon, the game being in a advance level/state and a release window being set. It seems like Disney could be getting ready to heavily market the game too and may even be confident enough to announce the release window soon.

If I were to pick right now which game would release first, it'd probably be FFXV. However, I wouldn't underestimate the progress KHIII has made. It could very well be a close call.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
FF XV in February or March
One way to find out if FFXV is coming out this fiscal year, which is what you're thinking, is to look up what Square Enix's game unit sales forecast is and compare it to previous years. It's not going to be some big surprise that comes out of nowhere unless investors have fair warning about it.

The devs firmly stated more games outside of FFXV will use the engine.
Doesn't really mean anything until we see those titles. If SE wants faster releases, UE4 is the way to go. You should all be hoping FFVII:R and FFXVI uses it.

That and the KH team has also been working on the HD collections. Lol.
Which is something that doesn't require ton of resources and are cheap and quick to create. Why else do you think we're seeing so many HD remasters right now?

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Doesn't really mean anything until we see those titles. If SE wants faster releases, UE4 is the way to go. You should all be hoping FFVII:R and FFXVI uses it.
Maybe VIIR but how is it impossible for Luminous to achieve similar results in releases after development for the engine itself is finished?

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
The game where the protagonist has spikey hair.....uhm I mean the one where Yoko Shimomura is composing the music for uhm I mean the one with the giant Titan boss....uhm.......I mean

Final Fantasy XV of course ;)

Sep 26, 2013
Maybe VIIR but how is it impossible for Luminous to achieve similar results in releases after development for the engine itself is finished?
No engine will ever be finished but it's not impossible. You're just looking at a company that doesn't have their shit straight when it comes to proprietary engine development.