When do you expect an FFXII HD Remaster to be announced?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

When do you expect an FFXII HD Remaster to be announced?

• E3 2015

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Tokyo Game Show 2015

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Jump Festa 2016

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • During 2015 but not necessarily during an event.

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • E3 2016

• Tokyo Game Show 2016

• During 2016 but not necessarily during an event.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I don't expect one.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Another smaller event. Eg. PAX Prime 2015

• Total voters

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Holy crap. Didn't know it was that long ago. If that's the case, I can expect an announcement of FXII at E3 this year.

However, I remember FFX got announced at TGS 2011.... So would they continue taking that pattern or go for E3 as the time frame to make the announcement.... It's either TGS 2015 or E3 2015 for me.

Difficult to make one sole choice right now....
X HD was originally announced at Sony's TGS press conference.

I went with TGS '15. E3 gonna be full of Just Cause 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, FFXV, FFXIV, DQ Heroes, handheld titles galore and maybe Hitman 6 and the new Deus Ex.

Historically, Square usually makes their announcements at E3 or TGS. Given the need for the titles to succeed in the West, I imagine they'll dedicate E3 to Final Fantasy XV and possibly Kingdom Hearts 3 (doubtful). TGS seems more likely for a FF remaster, but though it saddens me to say it, I don't expect a FFXII one any time soon. Maybe in 2016.

Oct 19, 2013
I think FFXII HD will be announced at E3.
Remember: Hitoshi Sakimoto will be the special guest for the Distant Worlds concert at E3 this year.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I think the suggestion @Koozek is making is the question of why Sakimoto would even be in town for E3 unless he had a project he was part of there. The question really is what came first, chicken or egg - if DW is bringing him out because they wanted a special guest for the LA show and Uematsu wasn't available (he apparently isn't), then obviously it has nothing to do with E3. On the other hand it could be related though.

Nothing would be announced AT DW, however.

Oct 19, 2013
It's not happening at E3. The concert will take place at the Nokia Theatre & not in the LA convention center (where the E3 expo resides in).
However, curiously enough, the two locations are pretty close between each other & the concert is scheduled to commence during E3 2015.... Should be interesting if there's a correlation between the two but from an initial observation, it looks like they are up to something.

That'd be sick if it will be a FFXII HD announcement.
Oh, I see. I think there's a pretty high chance that we'll see it. It could act as good filler release for SE's Spring '16 schedule if FFXV comes in Fall '16. What other FFs would they have until FFXV (besides FFVII for PS4 :D)? Maybe FFXII HD is the console JRPG that Matsuda was teasing for E3 recently. But well, who knows. Let's wait and see :)

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Oh, I see. I think there's a pretty high chance that we'll see it. It could act as good filler release for SE's Spring '16 schedule if FFXV comes in Fall '16. What other FFs would they have until FFXV (besides FFVII for PS4 :D)? Maybe FFXII HD is the console JRPG that Matsuda was teasing for E3 recently. But well, who knows. Let's wait and see :)
He was teasing either Toriyama's title, DQXI or a new Mana game.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I doubt that we'll see an announcement before TGS '15. On the other hand if it's really coming and if they plan to release it by March 2016 ( end of the fiscal year) I wouldn't rule it out completely. But as I said I don't think that we'll see another Type-0 situation with XII.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
The only thing about the E3 suggestions is people need to remember Square Enix are a bigger company than FF and Japanese titles. E3 should really ba fairly busy for them - Tomb Raider is coming this year - their biggest franchise alongside FF - and Just Cause is also coming this year and is expected to do big business. Deus Ex should also be at a point where they'll start talking about it (that's my #1 pick for an E3 or pre-E3 reveal from SE). Plus you have Heavensward, more FF15 info. What's going on with Hitman? That game is announced and quietly developing, and can't be much further along than Deus Ex.

There's only room for so many things at E3, or indeed in the Fiscal 2015/16 in general.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
The only thing about the E3 suggestions is people need to remember Square Enix are a bigger company than FF and Japanese titles. E3 should really ba fairly busy for them - Tomb Raider is coming this year - their biggest franchise alongside FF - and Just Cause is also coming this year and is expected to do big business. Deus Ex should also be at a point where they'll start talking about it (that's my #1 pick for an E3 or pre-E3 reveal from SE). Plus you have Heavensward, more FF15 info. What's going on with Hitman? That game is announced and quietly developing, and can't be much further along than Deus Ex.

There's only room for so many things at E3, or indeed in the Fiscal 2015/16 in general.
I actually think it could be further along than Deus Ex. IO Interactive is only working on Hitman 6 while Montreal develops slowly and just put out Thief last year. I think we could see Hitman released in 2016 and Deus Ex in 2017.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I actually think it could be further along than Deus Ex. IO Interactive is only working on Hitman 6 while Montreal develops slowly and just put out Thief last year. I think we could see Hitman released in 2016 and Deus Ex in 2017.
IO went through a good 12-18 months as Absolution wrapped up/released where they weren't working on Hitman, but were working on a something else - either new IP, or new additions to their other franchsies like Kane & Lynch, Mini Ninjas (surprisingly successful), or Freedom Fighters (a cult classic). Square Enix Montreal (not to be confused with Eidos Montreal - different studios in the same building) was handed the Hitman license. After a bit, whatever SE Montreal was doing with a full-fledged Hitman wasn't working, and the studio was significantly downsized with a bunch of lay-offs.

Core Hitman development was shifted back to IO, a number of IO employees were laid off, and all their non-Hitman projects were shelved. At least one of them was, I believe, a 'big' game - some of the work on it may have transferred directly into Hitman, however... but who knows, depends what type of game it was - if it was Kane & Lynch, for instance, you could certainly retool engine & asset stuff for a Hitman game. SE Montreal still worked with Hitman despite their downsizing, and put out Hitman Sniper and Hitman GO for mobile.

Point is, anyway, Hitman's been a bit iffy and while IO has been doing a lot of work, they probably aren't as far along as Deus Ex. Think of Eidos Montreal as being like a smaller version of Bioware - for instance, the 'Mass Effect Team' worked on Dragon Age Inquisition helping out, but there was a core, fenced-off staff working on ME4 at the same time. Deus had lots of engine & universe work done well in advance of Thief releasing, and that will have allowed the Thief team to move swiftly into that new game and start creating assets quickly... whereas the IO situation was plainly a lot more complicated and difficult.

However, in spite of all this, a Hitman game might well end up being pushed to an earlier reveal because 2015 is the new film reboot release. The previous film did surprisingly well (it grossed 100 million off a 25 million budget), and they may want to at least announce a game to ride the coat tails of the film:

Between this and the fact that we know a Tomb Raider script is being shopped around Hollywood again and the Deus Ex film rights sold, it seems like Square's Western properties are going to have a big cross-media resurgence - ironic really considering among gamers (correct or not) the Japanese are the properties more renowned for story.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
IO went through a good 12-18 months as Absolution wrapped up/released where they weren't working on Hitman, but were working on a something else - either new IP, or new additions to their other franchsies like Kane & Lynch, Mini Ninjas (surprisingly successful), or Freedom Fighters (a cult classic). Square Enix Montreal (not to be confused with Eidos Montreal - different studios in the same building) was handed the Hitman license. After a bit, whatever SE Montreal was doing with a full-fledged Hitman wasn't working, and the studio was significantly downsized with a bunch of lay-offs.

Core Hitman development was shifted back to IO, a number of IO employees were laid off, and all their non-Hitman projects were shelved. At least one of them was, I believe, a 'big' game - some of the work on it may have transferred directly into Hitman, however... but who knows, depends what type of game it was - if it was Kane & Lynch, for instance, you could certainly retool engine & asset stuff for a Hitman game. SE Montreal still worked with Hitman despite their downsizing, and put out Hitman Sniper and Hitman GO for mobile.

Point is, anyway, Hitman's been a bit iffy and while IO has been doing a lot of work, they probably aren't as far along as Deus Ex. Think of Eidos Montreal as being like a smaller version of Bioware - for instance, the 'Mass Effect Team' worked on Dragon Age Inquisition helping out, but there was a core, fenced-off staff working on ME4 at the same time. Deus had lots of engine & universe work done well in advance of Thief releasing, and that will have allowed the Thief team to move swiftly into that new game and start creating assets quickly... whereas the IO situation was plainly a lot more complicated and difficult.

However, in spite of all this, a Hitman game might well end up being pushed to an earlier reveal because 2015 is the new film reboot release. The previous film did surprisingly well (it grossed 100 million off a 25 million budget), and they may want to at least announce a game to ride the coat tails of the film:

Between this and the fact that we know a Tomb Raider script is being shopped around Hollywood again and the Deus Ex film rights sold, it seems like Square's Western properties are going to have a big cross-media resurgence - ironic really considering among gamers (correct or not) the Japanese are the properties more renowned for story.
Hitman Sniper is a funny thing, they did a soft launch in Canada but it's been quiet since.

And yeah, the movie thing is very ironic. Especially since they've been even more story focused since Ito went quiet. Thing is though, they did try a Final Fantasy movie twice, and we all know how they turned out.

Edit: That Hitman trailer is really good! I'm so going to watch the movie.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2014
I think I've read it in an article that games developed for the PS2 console are harder to port into current-gen than those games developed for the PS1. Maybe that's why it took them just recently to release the remaster of FFX & FFX-2. If that is true( the game site was credible), then if they didn't start the porting and remaster right now, then we won't be seeing it sooner than we think.
I'll be searching for that article then post it here when I see it.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@ChronoRiskbreaker The PS2 had some pretty whacky shit going on architecturally - the emotion engine is constructed in some weird ways. The same is true of Cell on PS3, as well - that's why, for instance, the PC versions of FF13, 13-2 and LR are based off the Xbox versions and not the arguably superior PS3 versions - because the PS3 architecture is a pain in the ass to port to PC. So, yep.