Who do you think is making VII Remake?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Who do you think is making VII Remake?

• XIII team (Toriyama, Yuji Abe, Shintaro Takai etc)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brand new team

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • External developer, eg. CyberConnect2

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Who do you think is making VII Remake? This is not including additional developers that will help out, eg. tri-Ace on XIII-2 and LR or HexaDrive on XV.

*Please ignore any inconsistencies between poll and topic title. Will be fixed if possible. It's who do you think.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
At this point..... All I gotta say is that it's got to be the right developers for the game. Both returning developers of the original game and even newcomers who knows their stuff.

I don't know. If I hear some familiar names being part of the dev team like Abe, I feel some reassurance only because I've seen his work and well done (I find at least) it is but....... Whatever floats their boat.
In regards to original developers. All the ones returning are older than Nomura.

Which rules out Yusuke Naora.
Hiroki Chiba is not working on it either.
Masashi Hamauzu is also younger than Nomura.
While Jun Akiyama appears to have been picked up for XVI.

I'd be surprised if Nobuo Uematsu didn't return.
Toriyama has a 90% chance of working on it.
Shintaro Takai is an 70% chance of working on it.

Rezon

Red Wings Commander
Feb 21, 2015
Funny how the music was the last thing I thought about when they announced it but having a live orchestra versions of all the songs during all the game is gonna be pretty amazing.

I really don't care that much about the people involved as I care about what they bring to the table. In the end, the result will be the basis for judging the game, not the names of the people responsible for the result.

I really fail to comprehend the "creator cult" that seems so deeply entrenched in our perception of any media and has the unhealthy tendency to warp our minds to the point where we fail to accept a lack of quality or - in some cases - the overall problems pertaining to a certain individual's creative output. I won't say I am not guilty of being at least intrigued by the mention of certain names, but that's the extent to which I am willing to go.

Last edited:

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
So under this logic Final Fantasy is not Final Fantasy without Sakaguchi ?
Uematsu's music is pretty identifiable. His work in The Last Story for me gave off Final Fantasy vibes.

And it's a vibe that's missing in both FFXII and FFXIII, even though the music for both of those games are great in their own right.

I would say Uematsu is more Final Fantasy then Sakaguchi is. When you hear his stuff, not just from Final Fantasy but from other projects he has worked on, you can't help but to think Final Fantasy.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Uematsu's music is pretty identifiable. His work in The Last Story for me gave off Final Fantasy vibes.

And it's a vibe that's missing in both FFXII and FFXIII, even though the music for both of those games are great in their own right.

I would say Uematsu is more Final Fantasy then Sakaguchi is. When you hear his stuff, not just from Final Fantasy but from other projects he has worked on, you can't help but to think Final Fantasy.
This may be an unpopular opinon but his music is no different from Yoko Shimomura or Hitoshi Sakimoto or Masashi Hamauzu in my ears.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Oh, come on, let's not go from one extreme to the other. Liking a certain creator because of their quality track record and wishing to see more of their output doesn't equal fanboyism ffs.
This may be an unpopular opinon but his music is no different from Yoko Shimomura or Hitoshi Sakimoto or Masashi Hamauzu in my ears.
I strongly disagree, especially concerning Uematsu and Shimomura. They both have distinctive styles and are instantly recognizable for me.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Oh, come on, let's not go from one extreme to the other. Liking a certain creator because of their quality track record and wishing to see more of their output doesn't equal fanboyism ffs.
Maybe i worded it wrong, i was meant to say something like "someone that blindly thinks that the creator they workshipped can do absolutely no wrong no matter what".

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
@Squirrel Emperor i dont see how that relates to FFVIIRemake.
Read the poll.

As for where the thought of CyberConnect2 possibly working on it comes from. Hiroshi Matsuyama said in a interview that he'd like to work on a FFVII remake. They worked on FFVII G-Bike.

Personally I think 1st PD is working on the remake as it is not just some simple visual update.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Read the poll.

As for where the thought of CyberConnect2 possibly working on it comes from. Hiroshi Matsuyama said in a interview that he'd like to work on a FFVII remake. They worked on FFVII G-Bike.

Personally I think 1st PD is working on the remake as it is not just some simple visual update.
The 1st Production Department is the first four Business Divisions now. BD4 makes stuff like Dissidia, Record Keeper and Theatrhythm. B3 makes the KH games and are also working on World of FF and SaGa right now. Where BD2 is of course XV. BD1 aka Kitase's division has to be VII Remake.

My best guess is the remains of the XIII team (Toriyama. Yuji Abe, Shintaro Takai etc) with a developer like CyberConnect2 in a similar role to tri-Ace on XIII-2 and LR.

Hashimoto said staff from the XIII team were moved onto XV and XIV but the only notable one to do so was Isamu Kamikokuryo. While the only notable XIII staff to work on Mobius were the main programmer and lead art designer also Kitase confirmed it was a very small team.

The big names are of course Toriyama, Watanabe, Abe and Takai.

Toriyama made it very clear he wanted to remake VII, confirmed he's in Kitase's division and said his next project was going to be announced in 2015.

Additionally, Toriyama and Takai are two of the only original VII staff we can confirm are still at Square and Nomura pretty much confirmed other original VII staff were working on it.

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Read the poll.

It also came from that plus Destructoid (and several of the other places that leaked it) saying it was being made by CyberConnect2 alongside other, entirely correct posts about its planned E3 announcement in the day/hours before it was officially announced. One has to wonder: if they had a source who was able to leak the E3 announcement to them early, would that source also lie about the developer?

I was actually preparing an article about this ages ago about trying to pinpoint if there was anything to the claims of sites like Destructoid and Wired when they said CC2 was doing it - but ultimately decided not to go with it. Despite that, here's the key points from research I was doing:
Back in 2014, Kitase hinted he'd like them to do it:
Yoshinori Kitase outright said he'd love to see an FF7 with "[Hiroshi] Matsuyama in charge of the criterion" - Matsuyama is the boss of CC2. [Famitsu Interview]
Maybe if Matsuyama is in charge of the criterion and the groundwork is finished, would we be fully prepared to remake it? Granting the quality line and fans’ excitement, I think comparatively it hangs on this title. I have my hopes up,” Kitase said.

…Well, I’d be happy to!” Famitsu reports Matsuyama as replying with a roar of laughter.
Later, Matsuyama added fuel to this fire when he sat down with a French website at Japan Expo 2014 to talk about CC2's Naruto games. When asked what project he'd like to work on next, his answer was decisive and absolute:
"If I have to work on another project I’d like to work on a possible remake of Final Fantasy VII.”

However, G-Bike didn't do very well:
FF7 G-Bike launched in Japan on October 31st, but quickly had to be removed from download for a brief period due to bugs and other issues. G-Bike received decent download numbers, but nothing quite like what Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Mobius Final Fantasy would go on to achieve. Despite being announced at E3 2014, the game has yet to see any overseas release or word of it since.​

But CC2 only seemed to be getting bigger, with some very suspicious job posts:
In March 2015 the company announced a recruitment drive via a two-page ad in Famitsu, which itself is pretty unprecedented.
The advertisement featured large print of the words “New Challenge”, followed by a variety of other development-based phrases in varying font sizes.​

The very next issue of Famitsu, Matsuyama made an appearance explaining some of the crypic advertisement:
“The words published in our advertisement are keywords from three unannounced titles. The larger keywords are for the first of the three. And the medium and small-sized keywords make up the second and third titles.
If one supposes the they were working on FF7, it'd no doubt be the biggest of the three projects. The words printed in the bigger type were as follows, as per Matsuyama's explanation:
"Basically, the bigger words are photo-realism, RPG, worldwide, Unreal Engine 4, and physics-based rendering. Open-world is part of the second title, and VR is part of the third. All new titles are in development for the new generation."

Make of all this what you will, but there's definitely more smoke around this potential fire than the boss of CC2 saying he'd like to do it.

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
It also came from that plus Destructoid (and several of the other places that leaked it) saying it was being made by CyberConnect2 alongside other, entirely correct posts about its planned E3 announcement in the day/hours before it was officially announced. One has to wonder: if they had a source who was able to leak the E3 announcement to them early, would that source also lie about the developer?

I was actually preparing an article about this ages ago about trying to pinpoint if there was anything to the claims of sites like Destructoid and Wired when they said CC2 was doing it - but ultimately decided not to go with it. Despite that, here's the key points from research I was doing:
Yoshinori Kitase outright said he'd love to see an FF7 with "[Hiroshi] Matsuyama in charge of the criterion" - Matsuyama is the boss of CC2. [Famitsu Interview]
Maybe if Matsuyama is in charge of the criterion and the groundwork is finished, would we be fully prepared to remake it? Granting the quality line and fans’ excitement, I think comparatively it hangs on this title. I have my hopes up,” Kitase said.

…Well, I’d be happy to!” Famitsu reports Matsuyama as replying with a roar of laughter.
Later, Matsuyama added fuel to this fire when he sat down with a French website at Japan Expo 2014 to talk about CC2's Naruto games. When asked what project he'd like to work on next, his answer was decisive and absolute:
"If I have to work on another project I’d like to work on a possible remake of Final Fantasy VII.”

FF7 G-Bike launched in Japan on October 31st, but quickly had to be removed from download for a brief period due to bugs and other issues. G-Bike received decent download numbers, but nothing quite like what Final Fantasy Record Keeper and Mobius Final Fantasy would go on to achieve. Despite being announced at E3 2014, the game has yet to see any overseas release or word of it since.​

In March 2015 the company announced a recruitment drive via a two-page ad in Famitsu, which itself is pretty unprecedented.
The advertisement featured large print of the words “New Challenge”, followed by a variety of other development-based phrases in varying font sizes.​

The very next issue of Famitsu, Matsuyama made an appearance explaining some of the crypic advertisement:
“The words published in our advertisement are keywords from three unannounced titles. The larger keywords are for the first of the three. And the medium and small-sized keywords make up the second and third titles.
If one supposes the they were working on FF7, it'd no doubt be the biggest of the three projects. The words printed in the bigger type were as follows, as per Matsuyama's explanation:
"Basically, the bigger words are photo-realism, RPG, worldwide, Unreal Engine 4, and physics-based rendering. Open-world is part of the second title, and VR is part of the third. All new titles are in development for the new generation."

Make of all this what you will, but there's definitely more smoke around this potential fire than the boss of CC2 saying he'd like to do it.
Do you think Toriyama, Abe and Takai are working on it?

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013

Wasn't there also something several years ago about Square Enix avoiding large-scale internal development and that they would be doing more outsourcing?

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Wasn't there also something several years ago about Square Enix avoiding large-scale internal development and that they would be doing more outsourcing?
"We are also thinking that we will not do large-scale internal development any longer." he said. "We have a lot of great creators in Square Enix, but for larger-scale development we will be doing more distributed and outsourced development to reach our targets on time." - Motomu Toriyama