Why are you excited for FFXV?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Or not. I want to see everyone's opinion. What is it that has you excited for this game?

Personally, I loved the idea of KH's gameplay, but for some reason, I can't get into it. Maybe it's the Disney stuff, or the "kiddy" vibe it has. Combat also feels kind of floaty. However, I always wanted gameplay like that: I'm not fond of turn based combat (ATB also counts). I always wanted a combat system that had me directly hitting stuff, using powers, jumping around; so you'll understand why I got excited for Versus XIII. But it's not also that, the setting also sits right with me: The game is supposed to be dark, serious, sad; I want that. Also, the game isn't linear, it's kind of an open world, and I like to explore places. Maybe it won't turn out to be as open as I'd want, but it's a start.

So, what got you excited for the game so much that you survive SE's lack of info regarding the game through the years?

Sep 26, 2013
Not sure. A lot of elements have gone missing since FFX and I get the impression Nomura is trying to bring all those things back. Think that's what excites me the most cause it seems like he's trying to create something faithful to the older entries but modernizing it all with today's technology.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Not sure. A lot of elements have gone missing since FFX and I get the impression Nomura is trying to bring all those things back. Think that's what excites me the most cause it seems like he's trying to create something faithful to the older entries but modernizing it all with today's technology.
I really hope that "old-school FF in HD" really becomes true. A lot of people (like you and me) want that to happen, and not for the wrong reasons. Even though the gameplay may not be the same as before, I hope most other elements remain true to the series.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Boring answer from me: it's a Final Fantasy title.

I actually don't know too much about the lore and many other details about FFXV, as I like to keep my spoilers pretty low if it's a big game I know I'll be buying on release day. So, quite simply, I am excited for FFXV because it is a Final Fantasy title. But I suppose I am more so excited because it's a mainline entry, and I expect huge things from it.

Nikolasvanitas

Chocobo Knight
Sep 27, 2013
Greece
www.youtube.com
Many Reasons

1)I love Kingdom Hearts ,its my favorite game series along with FF and seeing the KH gameplay on a final fantasy title makes me really excited

2)Nomura and Yoko Shimomura along with the team of KH2,I love their work

3)Hajime Tabata from the amazing FF type-0 and FF7 Crisis Core getting involved in the project made me even happier,in my opinion he is the most fitting person to codirect FF XV

4)Dark Medieval Fantasy and more mature themes

5)Noctis with telekinesis swords

6)Classic FF monster designs like Behemoth and Titan

7)Open World

8)I will add more later:D

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
And in that Order:
1. Story
2. Graphics
3. Characters
4. the world (the places so far look stunning, and I can't wait to explore it all)
5. Open World
6. FNC (I love the Mythology)
7. Weapons, Summons, and Monsters
8. Gameplay (magic and Leveling system)
I am too ready for this game!!!

HighWindXIX

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
May 27, 2014
I guess I will be the lone dissenter as of yet: I am not particularly excited for FFXV. I am interested since they claim an overworld with exploration and a darker story, BUT I just am not a fan of action RPGs like this looks to be. I didn't enjoy KH as much as every one else did and all the enjoyment I got from came from the story and the setting. Ever since it was announced that versus XIII would be an action RPG I lost most of my interest in it.

May 26, 2014
Well there are several reasons, but the foremost are that I love Nomura's character designs and I'm a sucker for flashy combat, so the battles look like a dream come true for me.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
You probably didn't play many JRPGs this past gen.
But he's right. Of course there have been gems this past gen (Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, several Tales of...), but it is a pretty sad amount of games (and quality, now that we're at it) compared to the glorious day of previous gens.

Japanese developers haven't managed to adapt to HD development, just like that, and the fact that not even S-E has managed to do so (and instead have relied in a trilogy nobodoy wanted) is further proof that the genre is not living its best years, not at all. So, hopefully, they get to make things right this time, although I'm not very optimistic given how difficult and expensive development has become, and how little interest there seems to be in Japan for domestic next-gen consoles (this will improve over time, hopefully).

On-topic, what excites me about this game is its scope, an open world (or at least more open) FF with a simpler story, based more in characters' relationships and interactions and in politics (it seems).

I also love the KH combat (even if I still don't like that a mainline FF is going to have it) and Yoko Shimomura, as well as Nomura when he doesn't go crazy (in terms of plot and character design).

And well, the fact that it is supposedly going the opposite direction that XIII went is a huge plus, because I hated that trilogy (not bad games, just not enough to justify the FF (lacking a ton of its elements and having awful characters (except for a few) and plot) and an entire generation of not having new things (despite ARR).

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I've been a huge FF ever since I was a kid, and the series means a lot to me.

When I first saw the game announced I was excited for a new direction for Final Fantasy. A huge Kingdom Hearts fan as well, the idea of having an action based battle system was awesome for me. Then, learning about the story, I was even more excited seeing the return of a classic story about the crystals but with darker tones. Things like the world map, vehicles, and other classic FF features just seal the deal for me on top of everything else.

Everything I know about the game so far is something that I would put in to a game if I were to make it myself, where past games I enjoy for various reasons, this is seriously a game that I would make with every little detail.

It's hard to really explain in a way that I feel satisfied without going off on a large tangent explaining things that stretch back to when I was a kid... so I'll just leave it at this.

Sep 26, 2013
But he's right. Of course there have been gems this past gen (Xenoblade, Lost Odyssey, Valkyria Chronicles, several Tales of...), but it is a pretty sad amount of games (and quality, now that we're at it) compared to the glorious day of previous gens.
I imagine some people want JRPGs with production values like Final Fantasy. They can't really get into the smaller stuff.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I imagine some people want JRPGs with production values like Final Fantasy. They can't really get into the smaller stuff.
Well, yeah, expecting AAA values from most JRPG developers is unrealistic, especially when Japan has been strugling with HD development and the fact that these games with relatively small budget sell so well (when they're good).

BTW, I'm not sure if you're saying that I'm one those who cannot get into games without those production values, but just in case I'll say that of course I can, the games I listed aren't (not at all) that expensive, and I still love the hell out of them (anyways, I can't believe I forgot including Demons' Souls/Dark Souls xD).

My main point was that... I don't know, I think this genre hasn't advanced much since the PS2 era, or at least no the way I personally would have liked. I don't think they have taken advantage of the new (by those times' standars) technology and progression of the industry.

Maybe it's because we haven't received as many games as we had in past gens,(I guess this also applies to NA, I'm talking about Europe, since I'm from Spain), so the library seems even smaller and less varied, but I can totally agree when someone says that this genre is not in its best moment. And the same could be said about Japan in general.

Last edited: