Would you like 3D remakes of V & VI?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Nov 17, 2014
I would very much love Final Fantasy V to be remade in 3D! Just imagine all those outfits from different classes from EACH characters! But if they do that, it'll be very much compared to Bravely Default, since that game utilizes the job system. Though the job system originated from FFIII, and FFV greatly expanded it.
So I'd say, if FF Tactics won't come to smartphones, I will surely hope for FFV 3D remake.

Whereas for FFVI, if it's going to be remade, I won't like it if the game gets the same treatment with FFIII & FFIV. The experience that I got with the 64-bit game back in the days were priceless. And without the Sakaguchi x Kitase team-up, I'll just want it for what it was. The FFVI has strong plot, that the game should be fully realized, like FFXV, so the emotions, fights, and confrontations can be correctly conveyed. But like what I said earlier, without Sakaguchi, even if it's just a remake, it'll be totally different. My favorite moments might turn out to be a forgettable one if not executed correctly.

Sandy boots
. :embarrassed:

FFV 3D Remake: Yes
FFVI 3D Remake: No

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I would very much love Final Fantasy V to be remade in 3D! Just imagine all those outfits from different classes from EACH characters! But if they do that, it'll be very much compared to Bravely Default, since that game utilizes the job system. Though the job system originated from FFIII, and FFV greatly expanded it.
So I'd say, if FF Tactics won't come to smartphones, I will surely hope for FFV 3D remake.

Whereas for FFVI, if it's going to be remade, I won't like it if the game gets the same treatment with FFIII & FFIV. The experience that I got with the 64-bit game back in the days were priceless. And without the Sakaguchi x Kitase team-up, I'll just want it for what it was. The FFVI has strong plot, that the game should be fully realized, like FFXV, so the emotions, fights, and confrontations can be correctly conveyed. But like what I said earlier, without Sakaguchi, even if it's just a remake, it'll be totally different. My favorite moments might turn out to be a forgettable one if not executed correctly.

Sandy boots
. :embarrassed:

FFV 3D Remake: Yes
FFVI 3D Remake: No
Tactics is on iOS.

That makes zero sense. Sakaguchi directed III, IV and V and you're happy with them getting remakes but not the game he produced in VI? Honestly III and IV's remakes went great with only a designer of the original team. VI would have it's original directors in Kitase and Ito.

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
I'm starting to feel that Sakaguchi is overglorified (no joking here) . . incoming rage in my comment
Yeah I agree with you, people tend to romanticise some things too much. I like and respect Sakaguchi in many ways but he didn't make this games on his own. There are many people that are necessary for creating a game. That said I don't like every project that Sakaguchi is involved in.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I'm starting to feel that Sakaguchi is overglorified (no joking here) . . incoming rage in my comment
I actually kinda agree. Only one of the five games he directed is among the best in the series and people make him sound like he's the greatest thing ever.

Yeah I agree with you, people tend to romanticise some things too much. I like and respect Sakaguchi in many ways but he didn't make this games on his own. There are many people that are necessary for creating a game. That said I don't like every project that Sakaguchi is involved in.
The last project he directed for Square nearly ruined them.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I actually kinda agree. Only one of the five games he directed is among the best in the series and people make him sound like he's the greatest thing ever.

The last project he directed for Square nearly ruined them.
Out of the 6 "best FF"(acording to the extremely broken fanbase) he only directed 1 (FFIV).
Kitase directed 2 (FFVI/VII)
Ito directed 3 (FFVI/IX/XII)#
Toriyama directed 1 (FFX)

#Though i personally consider Kitase to be more the director of VI rather than Ito; just like Nomura to Tabata with XV though i'm a bit more light in that situation.

And yes, his last project was what created SE and no one seens to blame him and misblame Nomura for anything related to Square or FF, even when Nomura is not involve at all. (I would say it was both Sakaguchi and SquareSoft itself and as to who was more responsible thats debatable)

Last edited:

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
Out of the 6 "best FF"(acording to the extremely broken fanbase) he only directed 1 (FFIV).
Kitase directed 2 (FFVI/VII)
Ito directed 3 (FFVI/IX/XII)#
Toriyama directed 1 (FFX)

#Though i personally consider Kitase to be more the director of VI rather than Ito; just like Nomura to Tabata with XV though i'm a bit more light in that situation.

And yes, his last project was what created SE and no one seens to blame him and misblame Nomura for anything related to Square or FF, even when Nomura is not involve at all. (I would say it was both Sakaguchi and SquareSoft itself and as to who was more responsible thats debatable)
XII? I wouldn't put it up there, but that's just me.

I thought Ito was one of the two original directors. I thought Kitase replaced Sakaguchi on VI.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
XII? I wouldn't put it up there, but that's just me.

I thought Ito was one of the two original directors. I thought Kitase replaced Sakaguchi on VI.
In FFVI Sakaguchi was only the producer and writer, after FFV he took other roles but never directed another Square game after that.

Last edited:

Infest

Blitzball Champion
Sep 8, 2014
Germany
Besides VI, VII and X I wouldn't name any other Final Fantasy to be the "best" (according to the general consens of the fanbase) even if I personally wouldn't put X in there and IX and VIII would rank on #1. But these three titles have by far the most fans. XII is extremely controversial and is nowhere to be one of the most beloved entries but it has a very loyal and vocal fanbase.

May 26, 2014
My understanding of it is that Kitase was in charge of scenario and events while Ito was in charge of battles (essentially gameplay I guess). Sakaguchi was producer and worked closely with Kitase.

Anyway, topic at hand, I'd like a 3d remake for V and VI, especially for 3Ds. But I don't think it'll happen.

e: oh yeah, if you want to read more about when Sakaguchi and Kitase worked together on FF V and VI you can read the beginning of this interview. I believe there was actually a thread about this here too if I remember correctly

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2014
In FFVI Sakaguchi was only the producer and writer, after FFV he took other roles but never directed another Square game after that.
I could probably guess that the reason Sakaguchi didn't handle the series after FFV, was because he just became Square Enix executive vice president. Being a director of a game while doing the vice president responsibilities is just superhuman, that's why he entrusted Kitase to direct it, as well with Ito, and just sticked to being a producer. But even though he's just the producer, he had important contributions, especially the characters and the cutscenes. Also to point out, FFVI was the first to have two directors working on an FF game.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
I could probably guess that the reason Sakaguchi didn't handle the series after FFV, was because he just became Square Enix executive vice president. Being a director of a game while doing the vice president responsibilities is just superhuman, that's why he entrusted Kitase to direct it, as well with Ito, and just sticked to being a producer. But even though he's just the producer, he had important contributions, especially the characters and the cutscenes. Also to point out, FFVI was the first to have two directors working on an FF game.
That could be true although he became executive vice president in 1991 (FFV was realesed in 1993) and by 1995 he ascended to president of Square LA Inc.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I'm on the same boat as you. Obviously respect the man, but I think people really glorified him, especially AFTER his departure. The success of Final Fantasy was never just him, he was a huge part, but he also limited the series to a certain extend.

As for the topic. I've played VI many times and still my favourite Final Fantasy. I don't mind a remake of it, not because it needs to, but so I can have a different experience. I never played V, so I can't say.

Sep 26, 2013
In regards to Sakaguchi and Kitase’s role in FFVI, here’s a Kitase quote from an old 1Up interview. The site is no more but I’ve been using this excerpt over the years and haven’t forgot about it. Even got the dead source link too! http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=1&cId=3178085

1UP: From there, you took a much bigger role with FFVI. Can you talk about what you wanted to accomplish with this game?

YK: With FFVI, my role was similar to what it had been with FFV, except that the volume of the game grew once again exponentially. So the team of people working on the event scenes and scenario side grew to about four or five. And, of course, Sakaguchi was the director and had primary control overseeing those aspects of the game as well. But he'd also become very busy at that time after becoming vice-president of the company and had a lot of other projects going on. He couldn't put 100% into FFVI, so I took charge of more of those event scenes.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
1UP: From there, you took a much bigger role with FFVI. Can you talk about what you wanted to accomplish with this game?

YK: With FFVI, my role was similar to what it had been with FFV, except that the volume of the game grew once again exponentially. So the team of people working on the event scenes and scenario side grew to about four or five. And, of course, Sakaguchi was the director and had primary control overseeing those aspects of the game as well. But he'd also become very busy at that time after becoming vice-president of the company and had a lot of other projects going on. He couldn't put 100% into FFVI, so I took charge of more of those event scenes.
Nice finding, though the game credits Kitase/Ito as the directors of FFVI and puts Sakaguchi as the writer and producer. My question would be how much directional control did Sakaguchi or Kitase/Ito had back in FFVI development ?,like who was the one in charge of saying YES or NO to certain design choices and puting things together ?