Ys Series Newcomer

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Dollow

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 26, 2013
dollowrlance.blogspot.com
I recently just pre-ordered the Ys: Memories of Celceta Silver Anniversary Edition on Amazon, the thing is I pre-ordered this game mainly after seeing the trailer on the PlayStation YouTube channel.

I was wondering if there is anyone who could tell me about about the series as a whole, and what I might in for with this game, and what I should be expecting. Heh.

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
What I have liked the most about the Ys when I first approached it a long, long time ago (played Ys III on SNES) was how unexpectedly strong the story was. It had just the right amount of depth to appreciate but simple enough for my young mind to understand. Also, of course, the soundtracks for anything Falcom puts out is second to none. Gameplay-wise, yes - expect Zelda type of action with free roaming action. You also get to swap characters on the fly in this one, which you couldn't do before.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
OMG I GET TO TALK ABOUT YS

Interestingly enough, Memories of Celceta has a bit of a different gameplay system than most of the other Ys games--the only other game that has a system like it is the PSP exclusive Ys Seven (by which I mean the whole party members thing). I honestly haven't looked into this game too much, since I don't have a Vita, but I can tell you that it's a remake of Ys IV, which had never released outside Japan until this release. Also, this is the first version developed by Falcom themselves (the original two versions of Ys IV were outsourced to other companies), so fans of the plot can finally get a completely canonical Celceta story.

As for the series in itself, most of the games are really fastpaced and can be quite difficult, but the new party member system and whatnot kind of help to make things easier. While all of the games have a connected plot, you really can jump in at any game but Ys II and still be fine--you'll just miss a couple minor references and maybe be slightly confused as to why some weirdo named Dogi is following you around. If you end up enjoying Memories of Celeta, I highly recommend you try Ys Seven, and then the rest of the series from there. Oath in Felghana is personally my favorite (remake of Ys III), but it's not good to spoil yourself on the best first ;D

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
I, too, hope to be a Ys series newcomer. I grabbed Ys I+II on that Steam sale that happened immediately in the wake of the summer sale a few months back.

I have a kid now, 10 months old, so my RPG time needs to go towards shorter adventures (see you in a few years Xenoblade Chronicles). The Ys series sounds like something that might fit that criteria? Do any Ys veterans disagree? Are the early Ys games generally 6-10 hours?

Zack

Somniac
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 29, 2013
I, too, hope to be a Ys series newcomer. I grabbed Ys I+II on that Steam sale that happened immediately in the wake of the summer sale a few months back.

I have a kid now, 10 months old, so my RPG time needs to go towards shorter adventures (see you in a few years Xenoblade Chronicles). The Ys series sounds like something that might fit that criteria? Do any Ys veterans disagree? Are the early Ys games generally 6-10 hours?
They are definitely not long games. All of them can be completed in about 20 hours or less (Ys Seven was around there for me). The Legend of Heroes series are the ones that tend to go on for quite a while, so if you're looking for a very fulfilling game in a short span of time, you can definitely do well with Ys.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Thread necromancer, checking in for duty!

So after a solid 6 or so months after posting in this thread, I finally have started working my way through a Ys game. My introduction to this series will be Memories of Celceta, which I picked up thanks to the wonderful Golden Week sale that Sony ran last week. I am only about 2 hours in, so it's probably not sufficient enough to form too many conclusions, but I will offer that I like the battle system quite a bit as well as the exploration theme of the game's plot.

May 26, 2014
I also got into Ys this year. I played Ys I & II Chronicles a couple months back and, despite some tediousness near the end of the second game, I absolutely loved it! Both games were relatively short as well (by RPG standards anyway). Ys I took about 8 hours while II, I believe, clocked in at around double that. It's probably very different from Celceta due to the whole "bump into enemies to do damage!" system, but I'd definitely recommend I & II to anyone looking for a short but satisfying RPG.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
So I am about 40% map filled in for Memories of Celceta and I have a question for those Ys veterans (with spoiler tags just in case):

is Adol the main character for most Ys games? If so, are these games connected in ways that would make it better if I had played them in chronological order?