A Patent that " seems" to be talking about FFXV

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=900371

( For a TL;DR "kinda" ) you can get a grasp on what " MIGHT" be FFXV battle system.

Considering we have very few concrete details about FFXV's battles, and noticing how deep this "patent" seems to tie with it, I felt it was worth reading and analyzing it a bit. There's some interesting notes that shows us the director's worries and solutions for several issues, and if what is written trully is the base design for FFXV's system, then it sheds some light about its control input and level of customisation.

ANALYSIS
(Note: I found the technical wording confusing and a bit hard. The text bellow is just my interpretation of it, and I have no idea how accurate is it compared to what it's being said).

1. Technical details on Auto-Attacking
[0008] (...) it is difficult for a player unfamiliar with an input operation of a command to operate the input operation and it thus becomes difficult to complete a requested command input within a predetermined period of time. (...)

In other words, the director thinks that casual players are slow to react to complicated input situations (complex combo buttons or massive command lists in menus), and this hurts their enjoyment of the game.

Tabata seems to be aware of how streamlining might make for a shallow experience to more advanced players, though:
[0009] On the other hand, in a case where a simple command input is to be required, there is a fear that it causes interest of a player, who is familiar with an input operation of a command, in a video game to be lowered.

And then it goes on to say:
[0010] Namely, it is desired to provide a video game processing apparatus that carries out an input request of a command and determination of input completion so that a player unfamiliar with an input operation of a command can readily complete an input operation while maintaining difficulty of an input operation by a player familiar with an input operation of a command.

In other words, inputting commands should be easy and straightforward for casual players, BUT it should still retain some intricacies to provide a challenge to the advanced player.

[0012] up to [0018]

From what I'm getting, a predetermined command should show up on the screen, and upon player's input (press of a button), it would verify (within a timer, more on this later) how many times the input occured. This seems to be the base for the "hold to attack/ defend" design philosophy, and possibly even opens doors for charging magic (the mechanisms are certainly there). There seems to exist a mechanic in place that might cap how high that number can go.

All this would happen under a timer. As stated, within the timer, the game would verify how many times the input ocurred after a button press, but it would also verify if the button was even pressed in the first place. The condition to trigger the timer is, as vaguely written, "set up by the game". This implies that additional actions might be available through other means, before or regardless of a button press, and once available, the player would have a specific time window to pull them off. This is probably reserved, I guess, to all kinds of contextual commands.

The "number of input actions ocurred within a timer" is heavily emphasized and detailed in the document, so I assume it's going to be very important. It is said, more than once, that this is how they plan to make button pressing challenging to the advanced player while keeping it simple for the casual player. My guess is that we should expect some intrincacies here to make it more complex than just "hold and watch it unfold", or else, the intention behind it to challenge the more advanced player wouldn't make sense. (Maybe holding for a longer time does not always translates to a superior effect? Maybe holding it for a longer time makes you more vulnerable to attacks, unless you interrupt your combo to avoid the attacks?)

[0023] (...) it is preferable that the command receiver receives a command from each of a plurality of players (...)

Interestingly, it seems like it's being designed to handle more than one player, when input from different players occurs.

2. "Gambit" System and Positional Actions

Based on the images available, one of them shows a list of actions + conditions that greatly resembles FFXII's gambit system. On the right side, you have types of actions (Boomerang, Spell A, Spell B, etc). On the left side, you have conditions based on character's positioning (how close or far they are).

Apparently, moving around the battlefield changes/ determines your skillset.

There's another image with a list of examples for positional conditions. "Nearest from player character", "Nearest from allied character", "Farthest from (...)", "In contact with (...)", etc. FFXII had some gambits like that, too, but this one is greatly expanded to the point that it can determine if characters are within 3m or 10m of distance of each other.

The following image gives examples of action methods. "Close attack with sword", "Distant attack with boomerang", "Attack Spell B", etc. I assume that when pressing the button to attack, if the character is far from the enemy, will make the character automatically switch to/ usa a ranged weapon, or at least if specified in a gambit-ish system.

Then, it is shown that the positional condition + attack method "gambits" are priotized exactly as they are in FFXII. Top rows have priority over bottom rows.

In fig 8. and fig 9. the combat flow is shown in the following order:
1) player's sights on enemy;
2) attack instruction (I assume this is when the player can manually press the attack button, if they want to);
3 & 4) specify positional relationship and attack method (AKA, verifies which "gambit" to use);
5) execute attack;

About this figure, the document states that a "control section" occurs within it, right alongside a timer to pull off the command. (It says that there's a time limit of 8 seconds).

[0081](...) notify the player A that it is input timing of the command corresponding to the specific process and of its input time.

This seems to confirm that gambit-driven actions are manually triggered by the player.

3. Personal Thoughts

The idea that I'm getting so far for this combat system, is that a gambit system determines which action is available with the Attack button, based on the player's positioning (and thus, under the player's direct control), where it then must be manually triggered by the player.

Apparently, it seems like battles will unfold in the following way:

PRE-BATTLE
1. A gambit system determines the actions (customisable) that are available under specific positional conditions (also customisable).

MID-BATTLE
2. You manually position yourself to have access to the actions that you want to have acess to (based on the gambits).
3. You manually trigger said actions by pressing the button.

In other words, you don't seem to have any less control than traditional, menu-driven FF combat, whose actions were also determined with the arrow pad/ analog sticks and a "Confirm Button". FFXV seems to go for a different retake of the same idea.​

Mistwalker

SOLDIER Second Class
Sep 20, 2014
Santiago de Chile
www.youtube.com
For what I read... I'm starting to really like FFXV's battle system. It sounds very interesting for the kind of game it wants to be, and it opens a lot of possibilities, specially with those 'Gambits' and the way the inputs can change depending on where in the battlefield you are standing.

My hype is growing! >_<

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Yeah, I read that on the original thread.

If it fits this and is expanded in detail once information starts rolling out, it sounds like a fantastic system.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
I like how one poster put it, it's a different, more action based retake on the traditional FF system with no less control and Gambits have been heavily expanded upon which I think is thanks to current-gen consoles. When we get more concrete details, if we're able to switch decks on the fly, that'd be really cool.

Also, it points out how important timing and positioning is on the field because depending on the proximity and how you attack, cast magic, or dodge, it would switch it up. Simple on the controls, but pretty in-depth if you dig into it.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
This caught my eye on the thread in NEOGAF.

This is actually fucking good stuff right here. The system sounds amazing as well and Tabata is aware of the choices he makes..... Well let's see how Tabata haters react to this when they see this patent.
Seriously, for those who still have doubts on the gameplay of XV, read this patent, it will wash away your worries and will keep your mind still and pure.
The patent also provides thought out reasons to the design choices and it makes so much sense now. Now I have no problem with the combat in general.

I really hope this kind of detailed information is released to the public officially whenever Square gets the chance to release news update of XV. It would just calm loads of fans.
Well, that is IF its FFXV related ( which seems to be the case) The patent clearly says Using 1 button for everything and Tabata says something about 1 button as well, but this "1" button has a different meaning. They are clearly linked in someway.

I knew something was odd about all of this 1 button biz. Something just didn't add up and I know why now <3/ Tabata is a great Battle designer, I love the Type-0 game playing ( tried it out for a little on my computer). It's amazing, I am glad I stubbled a crossed this, or else I still be in sadness ( a little).

At the very least at least he's aware of his choice and wait to please the hardcore crowd too.

I like how one poster put it, it's a different, more action based retake on the traditional FF system with no less control and Gambits have been heavily expanded upon which I think is thanks to current-gen consoles. When we get more concrete details, if we're able to switch decks on the fly, that'd be really cool.

Also, it points out how important timing and positioning is on the field because depending on the proximity and how you attack, cast magic, or dodge, it would switch it up. Simple on the controls, but pretty in-depth if you dig into it.
Controls= Simplish
Gameplay Postioning/Enviroment/basically the whole world- Really in-depth.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Given that he made the direct relation to Gambits it probably is. We just don't know the in-depth explanations of it.

But yes. It's thought out in the sense that its easy for players who don't like the complexity to control and then for advanced players to get into the nitty gritty of it with timed presses, range, decks. Add in potential summons, the magic system which I believe will take a mix of KH and Type-0, the warp and you got something with a lot of potential.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Yup. In the mean time, drown yourself with other games that are to come out this October.
OR if you're an Otaku, there is some awesome anime releasing in this Fall.
There's so much to do to kill time for waiting. :D
OMG even more " overwhelming evidence that this patent is linked with FFXV on this Fig.5

http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?docid=20140106879&PageNum=6&IDKey=8B16A4229D34&HomeUrl=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2%26Sect2=HITOFF%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsearch-bool.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26co1=AND%26d=PG01%26s1=%2522square%2Benix%2522%26OS=%2522square%2Benix%2522%26RS=%2522square%2Benix%2522

-Cooperation attacks 1 and 2 <--- this one is the key action that we know for a fact will be in this game Cooperation attacks
-Spells
-Closest/farthest away from player.

This gameplay is going to be revolved around "positioning"

Depending on the gambit and where ever the position you are at, that's the gambit you use.

Technically speaking, it feels like an ATB system without the timer.

- Get into postion
- Confirm that this is what you want to do
- Execute with X ( In which every FF game does is search what you want and press 1 button X.

It's really the same thing!

Last edited:

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Yup. In the mean time, drown yourself with other games that are to come out this October.
OR if you're an Otaku, there is some awesome anime releasing in this Fall.
There's so much to do to kill time for waiting. :D
I got games to play. And other hobbies like drawing, anime, and movies. But that's not the point. What I mean is, even with this it's not 100% clear what buttons do what and where. This is good, but I was hoping for maybe a chart with a list of buttons and what they do. And a paragraph explaining the rest. Like what used to be in game manual (before they stop putting them in game cases and left you to play the game and do the tutorial).

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Also, Tabata stated the beginning of the game may feel actionish. And that's probably because ( first gambit-attack) and probably only 1 weapon. In fact with this logic couldn't you just set the gambit to simply attack and then just hit x ( or hold x). Lol

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I just hope character switching is in, because, even if I'm still dissapointed with the battle change, this sounds really interesting, and the (even if small) possibility of changing to a press mode (it's in the patent) is really reassuring.

But seriously Tabata/SE, if you scrap character switching, I will burn your offices :/ The subtitled video gives me hopes (with the "try switching to other character"). BTW, he also says that that demo isn't actually fun to play, it's just a visual showcase, basically.

So pls, clarify that (affirmatively lol) and my hype will be practically back to normal.

kamikki

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 18, 2013
Finland
I'm really glad that people are starting to back off the "AUTO BATTLE LOL" schtick and realizing how good can this new system be.
Tabata and co. definitely didn't do the best they could communicating this changes, but I think the backlash was uncalled for.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Some more details came about and they are good ones:
  1. Targetting enemies is automatic by default (based on priotized gambits). For example, If your higher priority gambit is using Spell A against a foe within 3m of you, and you press the Attack button exactly when there's a foe within that range, the game will automatically target that foe.
  2. Pressing R and L buttons allows you to manually target and priotize targets, where the game will then pick the highest priority gambit you have that can be used for that target.
  3. This system applies both to allied characters controlled by the AI, and the player character with manual input. So you can have allied characters only do certain characters if the player character is near them.
  4. This system can be customised before and during the battle, through a menu.
  5. New positional conditions can be obtained through the game.
  6. New attack methods can be obtained through the game, whenever the player equips new items, learns new skills, etc.
  7. The number of attack method/ gambit rows can be expanded/ obtained through the game.
  8. While setting up positional conditions, the system will automatically filter the number of actions to those that only make sense. For example, it'll be impossible to set up a close-ranged attack that triggers if you are far from the enemy.
  9. There's the possibility to switch to a more manual input mode, where attacks can be attached to several buttons.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
There's the possibility to switch to a more manual input mode, where attacks can be attached to several buttons.
[0068] Note that the game apparatus according to the present invention can cast various attacks based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player even when the same operating button is pressed; however, it is also possible, for example, to switch, by a player's operation, between a game mode to which the present invention is applied and in which various attacks can be cast based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player, and a normal game mode in which various attacks can be cast by the player pressing a plurality of buttons.

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
[0068] Note that the game apparatus according to the present invention can cast various attacks based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player even when the same operating button is pressed; however, it is also possible, for example, to switch, by a player's operation, between a game mode to which the present invention is applied and in which various attacks can be cast based on the correspondence between positional conditions and attack methods set by the player, and a normal game mode in which various attacks can be cast by the player pressing a plurality of buttons.
Yup. Basically, we'll be getting an option to change the control scheme/map the abilities ourselves.

I thought it was weird that option wasn't there, but they really thought this through it seems. Actually, can see why Tabata was pretty confident. It sounds like an actual ARPG. I just wish he explained it a bit better, lol.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Yup. Basically, we'll be getting an option to change the control scheme/map the abilities ourselves.

I thought it was weird that option wasn't there, but they really thought this through it seems. Actually, can see why Tabata was pretty confident. It sounds like an actual ARPG. I just wish he explained it a bit better, lol.
Tabata seems to not be good and answering interview question. Confident? Yes. Saying the right things at the right time? From what I can tell, no.

He's mistake was explaining the battle system in a "casual perspective" and left out the hardcore aspect. I don't blame the reception it got from the fans, I just hope all those same fans see this patent!

Takoyaki

SOLDIER Second Class
May 27, 2014
Tabata seems to not be good and answering interview question. Confident? Yes. Saying the right things at the right time? From what I can tell, no.

He's mistake was explaining the battle system in a "casual perspective" and left out the hardcore aspect. I don't blame the reception it got from the fans, I just hope all those same fans see this patent!
I see the issue from the 200 pages I read... a lot of people are assuming its "press A to win" when, for the casuals and beginners, its just "press A to awesome" it looks awesome. They think the warp, magic, attack are all wrapped up in one button. Which is wrong even for the "easier" control scheme.

But yes, I think Tabata should have worded it differently, but as mentioned before... It's likely the PR crew as they'd want to reach out to the non dedicated players. Unfortunately, it is not music to our ears, lol.