ACCESSING AGNI

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Remember Agni's Philosophy?

I know it was just a tech demo as they tested out future graphic engines and what-now. But what if Square salvaged the best of this demo to use in XV or XVI? The lady in red, the realistic use of a potion, the summoning, the area setting, even the ritual. I think those can be of use in future games.

What if the woman is a red mage and the lead? What if this is the opening of 16 with her escaping and the rest plays out with her finding out she had been entrusted with a dark task from a satanic cult. And as her new friends try to warn her, she's been so brainwashed by the cult it takes time for her to think for herself/outside of the teaching of her cult. There's promise there. Keep the graphics, add FF9's battle system with some Wild ARMs and Grandia mixed into it, and you got yourself a game!

I just don't want to see this tech demo idea end up on the cutting room floor forgotten and abandoned. I didn't like everything about the tech demo but I never believe in simply using something once and then quit it and move on.

What do yall think? Was this ever anything more than just a tech demo? Is Square gonna revisit this idea? Should they even bother?

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I loved all of the concepts displayed in the video (even the guys with AKs!) but sadly the guy who was the technical AND directorial lead on this has left Square. It was in many ways his baby, so any follow up is probably unlikely now.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Why take something with so much action and throw on the series' most bland and boring turn based battle system?
I've always been a fan of turn-based RPGs. I think if they used a battle system like FF9 and made the characters jog around as they did their skills and spells like Wild ARMs 3 and all of the Grandia game and while still using the ATB system it'd still be a lot of fun. I don't want turn based rpgs to die out. Action RPGs are a lot of fun but I haven't been able to play a turn based RPGs for a long time. In FF13 there were plenty of fight scenes before and after events and boss battles. And in LR and 13-2 the used some reaction command like stuff so u could control the action even more. If we mix in the best from turn-based RPGs and action sequences this Agni idea can be the first FF to cross the fan divide between old school and new school RPGs.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yeah, I'm totally sure this was what it was: a tech demo.

I liked many concepts like those dogs, the way they summoned the dragon, as well as the potion (how it looked and affected the body). The big, futuristic city besides the shanty town was pretty cool too, but I don't know, I though it was way too bland (those guys with the AKs...)

And this is something personal now, but I hope they fully take the medieval route with XVI. No different nations with huge differencies in technology, no, pure medieval times (with a twist, of course, not something bland/boring and unoriginal).

Of course, that doesn't mean I want something similar to what they've previously done, I'd rather something new, even darker and grittier (not for the sake of being grittier, I hate that trend) or the opposite, an almost fairy tale like IX.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
They should go back to fairy tale style FFs, I think so too. But not European style. Other cultural fairy tales I think. Almost every RPG is medival with Knights, kings, queens and peasants. But What about an edo period FF? With Oni instead of orcs? Or or a chinese fairy tale with hopping ghosts? Or maybe something in the arctic? Or something Mayan? They need to go back to the roots with battle systems and story settings but keep the graphics and shy away from knights for a while. With Dragon Age, Witcher, Shadows of Mordor, Bound by Flame, Lords of the Fallen, and Demon Souls we don't need another dark mud street knight game. Not right now anyway.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
They should go back to fairy tale style FFs, I think so too. But not European style. Other cultural fairy tales I think. Almost every RPG is medival with Knights, kings, queens and peasants. But What about an edo period FF? With Oni instead of orcs? Or or a chinese fairy tale with hopping ghosts? Or maybe something in the arctic? Or something Mayan? They need to go back to the roots with battle systems and story settings but keep the graphics and shy away from knights for a while. With Dragon Age, Witcher, Shadows of Mordor, Bound by Flame, Lords of the Fallen, and Demon Souls we don't need another dark mud street knight game. Not right now anyway.
No.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
But the current face of FF has been that way since FF7 excluding 9. Why not now and then go back to the old wwy with modern graphics. I'm saying alternate not only do the olds ways.
Well, because onis are essentially trolls, and hopping ghosts are just Chinese zombies which is way too cultural for Final Fantasy, plus zombies in themselves already exist in Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy chooses cultural fairy tales that can be understood all over the world, I don't see what you're even asking for other than taking Chinese or Mayan things and putting them in the game, which I don't see why this is appealing.

As for the battle system, pure turn based battle systems are extremely dated. For as long as they could, Square has tried to strive away from the bare bones of basic turn-based battle systems to make for more interesting and engaging combat. Final Fantasy IX's battle system is extremely bland and boring, and a complete step backwards for the series.

Final Fantasy XII was the first game that really stretched what Final Fantasy battle systems could be after they created XI, taking inspirations from an MMO battle system to create something seamless. This is how I see the series evolving, not going back to their "roots" with battle system making something bland and boring, but trying to innovate and create something fun and engaging for everyone taking advantage of the technology they have.

I loved these battle systems for their time, but it's time to move on as well... Imagine being in a high action cutscene with your character and their party running away from something hitting other things out of the way then suddenly when forced to face their opponent, they have to stand still and sway back and forth and take turns whacking at the enemy. As much as people don't like the XIII series, it started to push the boundaries on turn based battle systems as well.

With the next iteration in the series having a fully action based battle system, time will tell where the future of the series goes, but they should never take a step back... that doesn't mean not to create something more ATB-like, but certainly not anything like IX.

As for the "story" taking a return to its roots, I don't even know what you mean... Knights are just a military force, they are interchangeable, and XV's versions of "knights" are just soldiers in metal suits with guns, not exactly medieval. I don't even know of a Final Fantasy that even has tradition medieval nights besides IX.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Well, because onis are essentially trolls, and hopping ghosts are just Chinese zombies which is way too cultural for Final Fantasy, plus zombies in themselves already exist in Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy chooses cultural fairy tales that can be understood all over the world, I don't see what you're even asking for other than taking Chinese or Mayan things and putting them in the game, which I don't see why this is appealing.
Yall don't get tired of European fantasy? Why can't FFs be like a martial art film? Or like a Doctor Strange comic? The reason altering FF is appealing to me because it's changes things up slightly while still hailing back to it's roots. If the original FF is about Knights and orcs, then the new ones can be about Samurai and Oni. Would that be so bad? They have to be be aware that some people want to move forward and play action rpgs but the more Action RPGs pop up, the less they feel like RPGs at all. At lot of the RPGs I (sometimes) slum into playing for lack of choices of where to shop for gear. Everything will be in a hub town or sometimes you can't get new weapons at all. Or you can't be only in dungeon. Sometimes there's no character levels. Sometimes there's no visible HP bar or any numbers telling you how much you actually have. You might get a bar that you can extend. You might just get hit and have to avoid that when the screen goes monochrome. Just because the way FFs are now seems cool doesn't mean anything other than this, any kind of change, is gonna ruin FFs or RPGs. That's why I said alternate between games like FFXV or FF7CC and FF9 or FF6.

If Square wants to make turn-based or ATB RPGs fast and fun, then do like Grandia and Wild ARMs have done and add to the system. Don't abandon it for more action. Why not make it so as you turn comes up you hit buttons in time to dodge attacks from the foes. And when it your turn you can do the same for combos and spells and rapid hit foes with spells and real martial arts based off Donnie Yen or Tonny Jaa. I'm a nobody working at a bookstore and I can come up with ideas. I know they can think of ways to do it even better. There's really no reason not to alternate and try something new now and then with something old.

Traditional knights were in FF4, 5, 1, 3 (and it's remake), and you already said 9. And the Judges were knights in FF12, plus there were knights in the background all the time. The heavy armor sword, spear, shield users who work or a king and often never question orders having sworn an oath. These are all too often seen in almost every RPG.

As I've said, action RPGs are great. Love them. But if Square ditches turn-based RPGs they'll basically be tell people like me (who've stuck around trying out lots of their games) that they don't care about what we like. That they're gonna move on, and if we focus, good. If not, who cares. That's what it feels like. If nothing else they can take FF13 (and only FF13's, no LR or 13-2) battle system, reuse it in say FF18. Have all the cast member learn their own skills and spells. Add Limit breaks. Add QTEs (reaction commands) for added excitement to keep boss battles fresh. And keep all the summons, moogles, and chocobo and presto. A FF that's new, and old at the same time and can appeal to most RPG players.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Yall don't get tired of European fantasy? Why can't FFs be like a martial art film? Or like a Doctor Strange comic? The reason altering FF is appealing to me because it's changes things up slightly while still hailing back to it's roots. If the original FF is about Knights and orcs, then the new ones can be about Samurai and Oni. Would that be so bad? They have to be be aware that some people want to move forward and play action rpgs but the more Action RPGs pop up, the less they feel like RPGs at all. At lot of the RPGs I (sometimes) slum into playing for lack of choices of where to shop for gear. Everything will be in a hub town or sometimes you can't get new weapons at all. Or you can't be only in dungeon. Sometimes there's no character levels. Sometimes there's no visible HP bar or any numbers telling you how much you actually have. You might get a bar that you can extend. You might just get hit and have to avoid that when the screen goes monochrome. Just because the way FFs are now seems cool doesn't mean anything other than this, any kind of change, is gonna ruin FFs or RPGs. That's why I said alternate between games like FFXV or FF7CC and FF9 or FF6.

If Square wants to make turn-based or ATB RPGs fast and fun, then do like Grandia and Wild ARMs have done and add to the system. Don't abandon it for more action. Why not make it so as you turn comes up you hit buttons in time to dodge attacks from the foes. And when it your turn you can do the same for combos and spells and rapid hit foes with spells and real martial arts based off Donnie Yen or Tonny Jaa. I'm a nobody working at a bookstore and I can come up with ideas. I know they can think of ways to do it even better. There's really no reason not to alternate and try something new now and then with something old.

Traditional knights were in FF4, 5, 1, 3 (and it's remake), and you already said 9. And the Judges were knights in FF12, plus there were knights in the background all the time. The heavy armor sword, spear, shield users who work or a king and often never question orders having sworn an oath. These are all too often seen in almost every RPG.

As I've said, action RPGs are great. Love them. But if Square ditches turn-based RPGs they'll basically be tell people like me (who've stuck around trying out lots of their games) that they don't care about what we like. That they're gonna move on, and if we focus, good. If not, who cares. That's what it feels like. If nothing else they can take FF13 (and only FF13's, no LR or 13-2) battle system, reuse it in say FF18. Have all the cast member learn their own skills and spells. Add Limit breaks. Add QTEs (reaction commands) for added excitement to keep boss battles fresh. And keep all the summons, moogles, and chocobo and presto. A FF that's new, and old at the same time and can appeal to most RPG players.
I don't get tired of it, because none of these games remind me of Europe in any way. I most certainly would not want a Final Fantasy game that was like a martial arts film or Doctor Strange comic... Why? Well... because that's not Final Fantasy... Final Fantasy isn't martial arts films... Maybe instead of wanting Final Fantasy to take such a drastic change, you should look into playing a different series, as Final Fantasy will never become like this. Besides, Final Fantasy isn't about knights and orcs either, that is a very general blanket statement that doesn't even fit any of the games, the final boss to the first Final Fantasy game was like a hellish demon, not an orc.

I'm not saying that they are not good ideas in general, but for Final Fantasy they make no sense. If you like those games you should play them instead, Square has no reason to make Final Fantasy like other series. No reason to make martial arts characters like this, it just doesn't make sense. Martial arts is heavily culturally influenced, where the European cultural references in Final Fantasy series are far more diluted and feel very cross-cultural.

Square has already said that an action battle system fits for Final Fantasy XV, and that the next game might not have an action battle system at all, it all depends on the type of game and what will make sense for it. Action battle system simply fits the theme for XV, that's why it is action based. I can imagine that XVI will likely have a battle system based off the ATB, maybe something in line with XII's battle system, something more engaging but still very much not an action battle system. Point is, Square Enix has stated that the future will not entirely move into action battle system, there's no reason to worry about this.

Overall, I know what you are trying to say... I don't disrespect your opinions or ideas. However, I feel that your ideas are far too specific and culturally rich to be used in Final Fantasy. The European cultural influences throughout the Final Fantasy series has become just as important as Chocobos. It's something that can be emphasised or even made almost non-existent.

Hey, you never know what the future holds, maybe they will do something completely different. If they did, I would be okay with that, so long as it's a great game with a great story. That's what matters at the end of the day to me. Playing a great RPG with a great story with great characters. I hope you didn't take my posts to you as disrespectful or putting down any of your ideas or opinions, they are simply my opposing opinions.

We all have different ideas on what makes a good game, and it's very clear you care much about what games you play, and that is something we both share in common! :happymog:

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013

I say its better than Ff15 what i saw from ff15 lol.. 4 metosexual boys traveling the world with ugly battlesystem,( dont get me wrong i still like ff15 as a gamer i will finish the game but i dont like many things in ff15 its not gonna my fav ff game.) and the main hero is the worst of the worst why not gladilous the main hero :( FF15 is not better than agnis P would, no way man... nobody knows what batlesystem would be in agnis p maybe old battleystem and better gameplot than ff15 have, Its time to act! somebody should write a petition for Agnis P to became game!

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I say its better than Ff15 what i saw from ff15 lol.. 4 metosexual boys traveling the world with ugly battlesystem,( dont get me wrong i still like ff15 as a gamer i will finish the game but i dont like many things in ff15 its not gonna my fav ff game.) and the main hero is the worst of the worst why not gladilous the main hero :( FF15 is not better than agnis P would, no way man... nobody knows what batlesystem would be in agnis p maybe old battleystem and better gameplot than ff15 have, Its time to act! somebody should write a petition for Agnis P to became game!
Agni will not become a game, Square Enix already said they weren't doing anything with it, the petition wouldn't get any signatures, nore would SE care to be honest.

Calling them metrosexual seems pretty disrespectful, I don't see why you need to call them that. What is wrong with Noctis exactly that makes him the "worst of the worst" exactly? You have your opinion of course, I just want to know why you think this way. You are worried about "metrosexuals" but you think the bare chested muscle man is a better character than Noctis?

Also, the rest of your post makes no sense, like it often doesn't. You claim that Agni's would be a better game... but you don't even know anything about what it WOULD be if it even was anything to begin with... which it's not... then saying it would have a turn based battle system... based on what?

Also judging the plot against FFXV when we don't even know what happens in the game... and Agni's doesn't even HAVE A PLOT, it was just a tech demo. I didn't realize you played XV already and know the whole game story. I can understand KOKAYI5's opinions and respect them, but you never seem to make sense to me...

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I guess... He's saying he's tired of pretty boy main characters. And want a muscular tough guy to be the lead. He wants to break the tradition of bishonen FF leads, I think. But that's not a metrosexual thing. that's a Noh theater and pop idol thing. It's what's in right now in Japan.

I see what you're saying Leonblade. I'm just gonna wait and see. If Agni is a lost cause and they're not gonna go back to the early way FFs were done, then if nothing else I'll be glad they keep doing FFs and RPGs at all. Most of the RPG series I like are gone, so this and Tales are the last ones. That's why I've been struggling to get into western RPGs. But most are just action games with a skill tree. Dragon Age Inquisition might be the most like a "JRPG" ask i can get this year.

I'm gonna apologize for my old habit of fixating on the old FFs. I don't know why but something about Agni made me dream up this idea that it'd be this beauty 3D FF but play like FF9. And I kept waiting for that to be true. But I've heard that the guy who made the tech demo left so yeah, it's likely nothing. Project Phoenix is a game being made indie style with a lot of people from all over. It has a lot of the ideas from the past. I'll just stick with FFs and look around for indie RPGs to see if any others follow suit like PP and make turn-base RPGs on modern systems.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I guess... He's saying he's tired of pretty boy main characters. And want a muscular tough guy to be the lead. He wants to break the tradition of bishonen FF leads, I think. But that's not a metrosexual thing. that's a Noh theater and pop idol thing. It's what's in right now in Japan.

I see what you're saying Leonblade. I'm just gonna wait and see. If Agni is a lost cause and they're not gonna go back to the early way FFs were done, then if nothing else I'll be glad they keep doing FFs and RPGs at all. Most of the RPG series I like are gone, so this and Tales are the last ones. That's why I've been struggling to get into western RPGs. But most are just action games with a skill tree. Dragon Age Inquisition might be the most like a "JRPG" ask i can get this year.

I'm gonna apologize for my old habit of fixating on the old FFs. I don't know why but something about Agni made me dream up this idea that it'd be this beauty 3D FF but play like FF9. And I kept waiting for that to be true. But I've heard that the guy who made the tech demo left so yeah, it's likely nothing. Project Phoenix is a game being made indie style with a lot of people from all over. It has a lot of the ideas from the past. I'll just stick with FFs and look around for indie RPGs to see if any others follow suit like PP and make turn-base RPGs on modern systems.
Hey, don't apologize for your opinions. I honestly would love to see Final Fantasy XVI be a lot like XII in terms of setting and style, and would be completely fine with an ATB battle system.

I love JRPGs as well, so I can understand your situation, don't lose sight of your dreams, there are plenty of opportunities to bring back JRPGs. Bravery Second seems like it will be good, and a new console Dragon Quest game would be awesome. I'd love to see another Legend of Mana, Legend of Dragoon, Earthbound, Chrono Series, etc.

If that's what UNKLE means, then I guess I can understand. I often get confused by them, I think English is not their native language.

UNKLE

Red Wings Commander
Oct 26, 2013
Agni will not become a game, Square Enix already said they weren't doing anything with it, the petition wouldn't get any signatures, nore would SE care to be honest.

Calling them metrosexual seems pretty disrespectful, I don't see why you need to call them that. What is wrong with Noctis exactly that makes him the "worst of the worst" exactly? You have your opinion of course, I just want to know why you think this way. You are worried about "metrosexuals" but you think the bare chested muscle man is a better character than Noctis?

Also, the rest of your post makes no sense, like it often doesn't. You claim that Agni's would be a better game... but you don't even know anything about what it WOULD be if it even was anything to begin with... which it's not... then saying it would have a turn based battle system... based on what?

Also judging the plot against FFXV when we don't even know what happens in the game... and Agni's doesn't even HAVE A PLOT, it was just a tech demo. I didn't realize you played XV already and know the whole game story. I can understand KOKAYI5's opinions and respect them, but you never seem to make sense to me...
"Calling them metrosexual seems pretty disrespectful,"
not really, its the truth, maybe gladilos looking only normal because he is like a bodybuilder and bodybuilders looks like exactly same as gladilous so thats pretty normal to shave his body to show the muscles :) + gladilous,and ignis have a "normal" hair not like noctis,and prompto.
imo noctis and prompto looks like a typical japanese metrosexual,emo boys,japanese girls love it...lol

A"lso judging the plot against FFXV when we don't even know what happens in the game... and Agni's doesn't even HAVE A PLOT, it was just a tech demo. I didn't realize you played XV already and know the whole game story. I can understand KOKAYI5's opinions and respect them, but you never seem to make sense to me"

Maybe its just tech demo but i do like more that world than ff15 world.

" You are worried about "metrosexuals" but you think the bare chested muscle man is a better character than Noctis?"
Noctis is kid,whining a lot,stubborn,cocky kid, ignis and galdilous would be better main hero they looks more mature to me imo.Why square enix ff games protagonist have always young main hero? its feels strange when i play a young man in video games, why not 24-40 year old main hero? it would be better! or at least like Assassins creed games where the main hero alwys 20+ year old or other western games lol.So yeah i want something different than traditional ff male lead charatcers.

Last edited: