FF on iOS/Android: New 2.5D Final Fantasy Title, New FF/Brave Frontier Crossover, and TRIPLE TRIAD

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Here is the article: http://toucharcade.com/2014/11/17/square-enix-announces-new-final-fantasy-title-for-smartphones/

This snuck in with the FF/Brave Frontier game. New game in the Final Fantasy Dimensions series it looks like. No sign yet of Matrix's involvement but they've been really quiet since delivering on the 3D version of The After Years.

But come on... the smartphone is PERFECT for all those old 2D FF and DQ games. The first Dimensions game was handled really well. I'm super stoked we're getting a brand new adventure, some brand new jobs to master and all that.

Edit: New title to reflect the HYPE

Last edited:

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I want to be interested, but the mobile controls for the first one really turned me off to even getting very far into the game... I have it on my phone, I just can't be bothered to play it!

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Come on guys you need to get hyped...

Look at these two screens, it's less 2D than I thought and the sprites look great: http://gematsu.com/2014/11/square-enix-trio-final-fantasy-smartphone-projects

And here's something else to try to build some excitement - it's headed by Takashi Tokita who is well known for his lead roles in the development of Final Fantasy IV and Chrono Trigger and 4 Heroes of Light. He GETS what makes these 2D/2.5D games good.

Square is getting better at mobile with each pass and this looks really encouraging.

Nov 17, 2014
Final Fantasy Legend and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: both turn-based but has different UI. The sprites are leaning towards Theatrhythm-ish style. There's also the Tetra Master game in the Final Fantasy Portal app. If that doesn't pique your curousity, then what will?

Last edited:

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Final Fantasy Legend and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius: both turn-based but has different UI. The sprites are leaning towards Theatrhythm-ish style. There's also the Tetra Master game in the Final Fantasy Portal app. If that doesn't pique your curousity, then what will?
I like you. Glad I have at least one person joining me on the FF Mobile hype train.

Prepare to pay for its additional chapters,I wonder why companies think that forcing people to buy games in chapters is a good idea?
If I were to hazard a guess, it's to do with the psychology of mobile app store customers. People have few issues with spending any amount of money north of I dunno, a tenner or something for a game on any other platform, but for whatever reason, there is this great reluctance to buy apps unless their asking price is less than that of a small chocolate bar. It's why free to play is so prevalent and popular. People would rather spend as little as possible upfront (even though chances are they've blown considerable money for the devices they'll be playing their mobiles games on!).

In the case of this Final Fantasy game, I imagine having it free to begin with allows people to have a sample of the game without spending a penny, allowing maximum exposure, so chances are there will be a very decent amount of people who will like what they've played so far and are willing to spend more money for further chapters. Contrast this with a premium app. There will be plenty of people put off by what is considered a "premium" asking price for a phone game and pass over it. Label it "free" instead and more people will willingly give it a shot. It's a basic mobile business these days. Only a small handful of premium mobile games garner significant popularity and rank high up in their genre bestseller lists.

Frankly, this model sucks. I'd much rather spend maybe up to a dozen quid on a good mobile RPG like I have for FFIV, Chaos Rings II and DQIV than...Jesus Christ, have people seen how much it would cost to get the entire Final Fantasy Dimensions game? I think in UK price, it's around 40 friggin' quid! That's almost as much as a relatively new and regular console video game! The strange paradox is that despite what I've written above, a game that charges per chapter ends up SIGNIFICANTLY MORE EXPENSIVE than a mobile game that charges you upfront!

XvoltaireX

PSICOM Soldier
Nov 28, 2014
The only one i'm actually interested in, is Final Fantasy Legends: Space Time Crystal. Mostly because the story concept reminds me of Final Fantasy CC: Echo of time, where something similar happens, except you're undoing a sociopathic german librarian's destruction of the world.