Final Fantasy Q&A

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Uh...question! Does Sephiroth have actual parents or is he the birth of JENOVA. This has confused me since the dawn of time.
Sephiroth had real parents. They were Professor Hojo and Lucrecia. Sephiroth believed his mother was Jenova because he had Jenova cells planted in him, but it was never the case that she was.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Oh, yeah, yeah... I forgot about Lucretia. Hojo experimented on her, which is why Vincent hated him so much, right? I always forget Vincent's part in this. xD Or at least, his background with Hojo and Lucretia.
Vincent was a Turk and loved Lucrecia, but she decided to stay with Hojo. Vincent was against the experiements he did and what they would do to her unborn baby (Sephiroth), but in his protests, Hojo shot him and experimented on him, too.

gaiages

:<
Site Staff
Sep 26, 2013
Florida
Uh...question! Does Sephiroth have actual parents or is he the birth of JENOVA. This has confused me since the dawn of time.
Technically, Sephiroth's biological parents were Hojo and Lucrecia. However, he was undergoing experiments with JENOVA cells even before he was born (something about experiments Lucrecia underwent while he was still in the womb), so it's a little more murky than it should be.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a little late xD

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Lucrecia wanted to stay with Hojo? I was always under the impression that Hojo abused Lucrecia and impregnated her against her will. I also doubt that it was with her permission that he injected JENOVA cells into her. I always felt that Vincent was pissed because Hojo violated Lucrecia and wanted to get revenge, then was shot and experimented on. I just cant imagine that Lucrecia would want to be with a psychopath like Hojo.

Oh and in case you wonder about Aeriths parents: They were Professor Gast and Infalna. Hojo later had Gast killed and kidnapped and experimented on Infalna, but she escaped and died at the train station shortly after asking Elmyra Gainsborough to take Aerith. Which is how she ended up as Elmyras daughter.

I always wondered though: Is Aerith her birth name or the name given to her by Elmyra?

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Oh and about the "Mother" thing. All of those who carry JENOVA cells (the Advent Children) refer to JENOVA as mother.So FF VII is misleading in that case since "Mother" isnt meant as biological parent but rather the entity that all those who carry her cells (well except Cloud) come to view as a maternal being.

Aether

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Australia
@Omegaflare : My apologies, it was in Crisis Core it was mentioned. I believe that the rogue ShinRa scientist (not Hojo, the other one I can't remember the name of) running the G Project was attributed with figuring out how to produce artificial materia.

also remember that the Huge Materia in FFVII is created by ShinRa. It is normal materia compressed 330x more than normal materia. I do believe that's mentioned at some point during the CID rocket arc

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
yeah but in VII Sephiroth made it sound like he actually thinks Jenova was a woman who gave birth to him. Then again maybe he did think that at that point. I mean he also believed himself to be one of the Cetra back then while the Cetra were actually JENOVAs greatest enemy.

now I got a question too: Why was Cloud the only one, carrying JENOVA cells who was not enslaved to her will like the other Advent Children including Sephiroth?

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Lucrecia wanted to stay with Hojo? I was always under the impression that Hojo abused Lucrecia and impregnated her against her will. I also doubt that it was with her permission that he injected JENOVA cells into her. I always felt that Vincent was pissed because Hojo violated Lucrecia and wanted to get revenge, then was shot and experimented on. I just cant imagine that Lucrecia would want to be with a psychopath like Hojo.

Oh and in case you wonder about Aeriths parents: They were Professor Gast and Infalna. Hojo later had Gast killed and kidnapped and experimented on Infalna, but she escaped and died at the train station shortly after asking Elmyra Gainsborough to take Aerith. Which is how she ended up as Elmyras daughter.
Well Vincent and Lucrecia's "relationship" got a bit rocky and she ended up becoming romantically involved with Hojo and married him. She agreed to experiment on their unborn baby. What they were doing was wrong, but I'm pretty certain Lucrecia wanted to stay with Hojo; she agreed to go ahead with the experiments.

I always wondered though: Is Aerith her birth name or the name given to her by Elmyra?
To quote Elmyra in FFVII:
You used to see this sort of thing a lot during the war.
Her last words were, "Please take Aerith somewhere safe."
My husband never came back. I had no child. I was probably
lonely. So I decided to take her home with me.

Aether

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Australia
Lucrecia allows Hojo to experiment on her because she is as intrigued with the science as much as Hojo is. She mentions this in one of the flashbacks in DoC. The character of Lucrecia is supposed to demonstrate the differences between the almost homicidal Hojo and the more wistful and romantic Vincent as a Turk.

Cloud was not impregnated with J cells the same way as Sephiroth and the other 'clones'. Hojos hope was that his extra strength shown when defeating Sephiroth in Nibelheim would mean the cells would take hold at his older age. Throughout the whole game, Cloud is referred to as a failure by both Hojo and Sephiroth.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Damn thats right ;) did you just google this dialogue or do you really have all that FF VII dialogue in your head?

Hm the Lucreia/Hojo stuff was explored in Crisis Core I assume? Never played that game since I dont like handhelds. So I can only go by the stuff I know from VII and AC.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Damn thats right ;) did you just google this dialogue or do you really have all that FF VII dialogue in your head?

Hm the Lucreia/Hojo stuff was explored in Crisis Core I assume? Never played that game since I dont like handhelds. So I can only go by the stuff I know from VII and AC.
I made sure to Google an FFVII script to get the exact quote.

And the whole Lucrecia-Vincent-Hojo story is detailed extensively in Dirge of Cerberus. Worth a play if only to gain more knowledge on that side of the story.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Man you guys post too fast. as soon as I post something its already outdated because you post something new in the meantime lol. Pace yourselves.

Well I didnt play DoC either because a FF shooter is really the last thing I wanted to play and it gained terrible reviews. Also I always thought that DoC was completely unnecessary since AC had such a perfect ending to the VII saga. Then DoC came out and I didnt like it that it ruined the perfect AC conclusion so I always stayed away from it. To me FF VII is a trilogy: Crisis Core, VII, AC.

But I guess the flashback stuff is important. they should have just explored all that stuff in VII instead of the spin offs.

Aether

Yevonite
UFFSite Veteran
Sep 25, 2013
Australia
The point of DoC is to resolve Vincent's story and what exactly happened to the people left in ShinRa after the fall. In a way it is also used to show that Cloud and the rest have finally put their past issues to bed and moving on. ThE only one that couldn't was Vincent who through DoC he's allowed to thanks to Selke

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I don't think I ever finished DoC. But it takes place in Deepground for the most part, doesn't it? And is Deepground beneath Sector 0 or somewhere completely different?
Yep, pretty much, as far as I'm aware. Deepground City is underneath Midgar, and so underneath Sector 0.

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 27, 2013
Oregon
chaos1950.tumblr.com
I don't think I ever finished DoC. But it takes place in Deepground for the most part, doesn't it? And is Deepground beneath Sector 0 or somewhere completely different?
The ending levels of the game mostly take place in Deepground, yes. The begging of the game is slightly more varied though, but the enemies really aren't it's always deep ground soldiers. Also thank you for the replies, I'm going to see if I can dig up "A Case of Tifa" and give it a read, see what says and all that.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
...Wait, I thought Azuardo was the one who asked me for the links? I don't know what reply you're referring to but uh...you're welcome! Either way, hope you like 'em! Case of Tifa's my favorite. Makes me respect her as a character a lot more than I did before.
Haha, I think we just had the same idea to suddenly check them out. I was indeed the one who asked you for links to them earlier :]

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 27, 2013
Oregon
chaos1950.tumblr.com
...Wait, I thought Azuardo was the one who asked me for the links? I don't know what reply you're referring to but uh...you're welcome! Either way, hope you like 'em! Case of Tifa's my favorite. Makes me respect her as a character a lot more than I did before.
Well I believe I posed the initial question about materia that got this topic started, so any more information I can grab on it I'm happy with. :3

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
The Promised Land is basically the legend of the Cetra that describes the paradise they will eventually arrive at the end of their journey. I am still not sure if its evenr eal or if its basically what Avalon or Atlantis are in their mythologies. The ShinRa believed its a place filled with Mako, so maybe the Northern Crater really was the Promised Land (as Rufus mentioned I think). Or maybe it really is the heaven that the Cetra go to when they die and therefore is the lifestream itself. I havent played Crisis Core and DoC but I think so far its never been officially verified exactly what and where the Promised Land is.

The song in the opening of Advent Children where you see the lifestream swirling around curiously is named "The Promised Land"