Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I don't think 10 million world wide over the entire life of the game is unrealistic. Not with this much hype and that trailer, and this drought of JRPG's, the franchise name, the ridiculous graphics, etc. That's a lot for the genre, but this is a genre buster if I've ever seen one. My prediction is 12 million.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I don't think 10 million world wide over the entire life of the game is unrealistic. Not with this much hype and that trailer, and this drought of JRPG's, the franchise name, the ridiculous graphics, etc. That's a lot for the genre, but this is a genre buster if I've ever seen one. My prediction is 12 million.
It may outsell XIII, but I doubt it's going to get above 10 million.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
It may outsell XIII, but I doubt it's going to get above 10 million.
I disagree. Well, not the part about outselling FFXIII, that was never ever a question in my mind, but selling 10 million in this market, world wide, over the life of the game, that's a tough, but reachable goal.

I'm not an expert in economics but I read that S.E just needs to ship 10m to retailers, not 10m of consumer buying each copy in the store shells.
This is true, but the same is true for the sales figures for the games its being compared to as well. That and digital downloads of course. You still need to get them to buy the game, though.

So I just found out the reason why there's no PC version of FF XV for the time being:

The DX11 generation tech used for #FFXV is for console only. Once FFXV is out on console we may look at a higher spec version for PC
Source: @FFXVEN on Twitter

This makes me curious what "DX11 generation tech" specifically the game is using, taking into consideration that the most recent version of DX11 was released alongside Windows 8.1 back in 2013, so I think it should be possible?

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I disagree. Well, not the part about outselling FFXIII, that was never ever a question in my mind, but selling 10 million in this market, world wide, over the life of the game, that's a tough, but reachable goal.
But this market just isn't the same anymore. Japan's console market is relatively small. And JRPGs are a niche genre in the West. It hardly seems to me that there isn't even a question that this game is going to outsell XIII. It's just as SquirrelEmperor said, perhaps that's why there's more to it than just a single game.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
But this market just isn't the same anymore. Japan's console market is relatively small. And JRPGs are a niche genre in the West. It hardly seems to me that there isn't even a question that this game is going to outsell XIII. It's just as SquirrelEmperor said, perhaps that's why there's more to it than just a single game.
I'm pretty sure it's more than just a single game AND they need to sell 10 million (ie, I'm sure they're expecting the movie to at least pay for itself).

The reason I think this can do it is because it's not *really* a JRPG. It's not like anything out there right now, actually. It's a genre buster that looks like could easily have mass appeal. I think this game is set up to make a huge splash. Then suddenly, it's not being compared to FFXIII at all anymore. It'll be dipping into the GTA/Uncharted/flavor of the month gamer markets.

It's also lifetime sales, which includes PC sales. I know at least two people in this thread alone that will probably buy it again on the PC, and that's just a coincidence that we happened to talk about it. I'm sure there will be a lot more.

It's not a fait accompli, but it's plausible, I guess is how I'd put it. Especially if things like the movie and anime get people hooked on the world they built.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Another one stolen from GFaqs with no source because they didn't post one, but this is an interview with Tabata from somewhere, supposedly. Assuming it's not a total fabrication (and I have no reason to believe it is) then this is exactly why this was the right dude for the job:

Q: While in the midst of that reality, how did you work your way through it?

A: I started an independent team that put together a game team, movie team, and a technology team together as one. With that, we joined with former-Final Fantasy Versus XIII’s team, becoming the team that is now known as Business Division 2, that would be in charge of Final Fantasy XV’s production.

Q: From there, you entered production, and was there an established theme on what should be done for Final Fantasy XV?

A: No, there was something that needed to be done before having a solid talk on what to do with Final Fantasy XV. Everyone needed to face the reality that Final Fantasy hasn’t been succeeding, and they needed to be prepared to overcome this. One thing we all agreed on was: instead of following everything the way we’ve been doing up until now because “Final Fantasy hasn’t been able to succeed in HD,” we’ll do everything that must be done in order to succeed in the era of HD. It started with creating one team, with everyone having the mindset of a challenger as we went into production.

Q: And from there?

A: We reset the hierarchy of the organization, because the person that serves as the section leader would be in the same position for decades, at times. When that happens, it’s a given that the power relations between staff will always be decided, you’ll have imitation of originals, and instead of having winning conditions as a team everyone ends up working to follow the personal standards of subjectivity and feelings of this said person. By resetting such unnecessary relations, we had a talk about “from here on, there is no top or bottom in this land of Shura!”

Q: So it was basically made into a merit system.

A: Yes. I interviewed everyone at first and told them “if you want to stay or leave, it’s up to you to decide,” “if you do stay, then I’ll have you follow my reform,” and “no making excuses about this is how it was done before.” From there, we had talks on “show me what you can bring to the table,” and we made it clear what each team was capable of doing. On top of that, we had rearrangements going on—for example, “you have a good sense of balance so you’re the Preproduction Phase leader, okay?” and “you’ve been a leader up until now, and even though you can make things of high quality, you aren’t the best at negotiating and coordinating with other sections, so you’ll be the subordinate of this phase, okay?” There were so many disputes!

Q: I could see that happening. [laughs]

A: However, there were many that were positive about the change, and a lot of people were able to get the sense that they were growing from it, so the atmosphere was great. With a balance of power that can’t be seen, an organization where dynamics other than an instruction system doesn’t work,everyone was able to pull out of the best of their performance. The number of people that can step forward into domains that couldn’t be challenged before has increased, and it reflects in this title.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
What-I've-learned:Take-GAF-with-a-grain-of-salt,and-always-follow-MognetCentral-because-the-people-are-far-less-cynical-and-critical._I-would-rather-have-a-great-story-and-gameplay-than-shiny-graphics.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
It's a genre buster that looks like could easily have mass appeal.
It'd be pretty amazing if it manages to do that.

But that's exactly what could end up being the core problem.

Which is making something that the current market wants while trying to appeal to all regions at the same time.