Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015
Famitsu interview with Tabata and Nozue in english, new information:
  • FFXV story is split into chapters, but each section may take the player a hour or more, they expect the average playtime will be more.
Tabata's saying that certain sections that are supposed to take an hour may end up taking more time, not that each section is an hour long.

Came here to post it, yeah.

It seems like we have a confirmed age for Noctis? 23? (The Dawn trailer showed both Luna and Noctis as kids with a "Fifteen years ago" intro). Not surprising, considering Nomura said Cor (42 years old) was roughly 20 years older than Noctis and co. And that should put Gladio at 28 going by ED (I'm expecting Ignis a bit younger than him and Prompto around Noctis' age).

In a few hours (I think) we should have some new info by GI. I'm wondering whether they'll upload a long-ish gameplay video (as in, 5 minutes of uninterrumpted gameplay), but I kind of doubt it. I don't really mind what's been shown so far, although I understand maaaany will want to go blind from now on.
Yeah, Noctis seems to be in his early 20s. We don't know if the scene from the Dawn trailer is from the same time as the Platinum Demo, however. Assuming Noctis is 6 at the time (probably most likely 7 or 8), then at the start of FFXV I'd say he'd be 21 at the youngest and 24 at the very oldest (he doesn't look 9 to me, but I'm adding a year to be safest).

More from the English Famitsu interview:
"There are other mini-games available in the main game [other than Justice Monsters Five], another one of which we’re hoping to also make available as an app before launch." (Tabata)

Note: Not all questions were translated into English.

Last edited:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Tabata's saying that certain sections that are supposed to take an hour may end up taking more time, not that each section is an hour long.

Yeah, Noctis seems to be in his early 20s. We don't know if the scene from the Dawn trailer is from the same time as the Platinum Demo, however. Assuming Noctis is 6 at the time (probably most likely 7 or 8), then at the start of FFXV I'd say he'd be 21 at the youngest and 24 at the very oldest (he doesn't look 9 to me, but I'm adding a year to be safest).

More from the English Famitsu interview:
"There are other mini-games available in the main game [other than Justice Monsters Five], another one of which we’re hoping to also make available as an app before launch." (Tabata)
Yeah, that sounds about right. It'd be cool if he was actually my age, after having waited for the game since I was 13, haha. I really wouldn't want another 16/17 year old MC right now (as much as I love Zidane and Squall. Although tbh age doesn't really have anything to do with maturity: Zidane must be one of the most level-headed MCs of the franchise).

Regarding JMV, let's see how it plays. It's one of those things I'm not excited for at all, but might really like once I get to play it (like Terra Battle). So far (apart from fishing, chocobo racing and such), we've seen the party have fun in hotels/the tent playing darts, cards... I wonder if we can actually play those or if those are just events you watch.

I would have really liked another original card game à la Triple Triad or Tetra Master, but it doesn't seem we're getting that. Oh, and considering how much from Tokyo Insomnia borrows, I'd love those kinds of streets full with arcades and have some of them playable (beyond JMV).

Last edited:

Storm

Warrior of Light
Oct 26, 2013
Switzerland
about Noctis near-death experience, wasn't this event that triggered his ability to see "the light of expiring souls"?

I'd be dissapointed if this was scrapped to be honest.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
about Noctis near-death experience, wasn't this event that triggered his ability to see "the light of expiring souls"?

I'd be dissapointed if this was scrapped to be honest.
I'd actually be surprised if this is still in. We haven't seen, heard or read anything regarding that for ages, no?

I guess they could always have it in the game, say, by linking that ability to Noctis' connection to the Astrals, but yeah.

Kind of a missed opportunity that they don't seem to be doing a card game a la triple triad, etc. They could have made it an app and you could play real people and take their real cards, etc. It would have been a great tie-in.
Yeah, even a straight-up XV version of Triple Triad would have been great (replace the VIII cards with monsters, Summons and, maybe, historical characters From Eos).

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
I'd actually be surprised if this is still in. We haven't seen, heard or read anything regarding that for ages, no?

I guess they could always have it in the game, say, by linking that ability to Noctis' connection to the Astrals, but yeah.

Yeah, even a straight-up XV version of Triple Triad would have been great (replace the VIII cards with monsters, Summons and, maybe, historical characters From Eos).
maybe-something-like-a-triple-triad-X-Gwent-mix

Jul 16, 2015
Kind of a missed opportunity that they don't seem to be doing a card game a la triple triad, etc. They could have made it an app and you could play real people and take their real cards, etc. It would have been a great tie-in.
They said there are other mini games so I would wait to see what they say about triple triad or something similar before assuming the game won't have them. We see the four boys playing cards at a table in a hotel room in one of the new trailers don't forget. I bet that is a FF style card game that we would enjoy.

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I don't think we'll be able to explore insomnia. They have repeatedly stated how you can explore Altissia and dance around Insomnia every time.

Frankly, I think (plausible plot speculation not real spoiler):

Insomnia will get destroyed before you ever get a chance to go back in.

Jul 16, 2015
This is quite interesting, and promising, but confusing to me because clearly its stated in the GI issue, that in chapter 1 of the game itself
you have already left Insomnia....
Yea but there is a chapter 0 so maybe then we can see Insomnia a bit. I highly doubt we will get to explore it that freely in the beginning but maybe walk around a few areas. Insomnia never gets destroyed completely though. It gets attacked and taken over by Niflheim so maybe later we go back. All I know is this game is going to be a lot bigger a crazier than everyone thinks it will be. We haven't seen anything yet.

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
I don't think we'll be able to explore insomnia. They have repeatedly stated how you can explore Altissia and dance around Insomnia every time.

I absolutely agree with you, but then why would GI tease us like this then? It hurts, I've wanted to see this location since 2006, and quite frankly, I think a major part of the reason this thread was created, is because SE has kept us in the dark about this matter since 2013...In fact I'm going to repost here my reply to that thread as my ultimate final comment on the now (mostly) uncovered, ha ha get it? mystery surrounding this game. Especially as we are now talking about Insomnia.

Last edited:

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
Changes with Stella to Luna were already in place when Nomura was still in charge. Also, the initial story direction also changed under Nomura, based on the E3 trailer he directed, the entire party for the signing ceremony was removed by Nomura, not Tabata, you can tell simply by the fact that Stella (Luna) and Noctis were kids running through a field, something that didn't make sense at the time, as they were supposed to meet at the signing ceremony. Proof of both changes took place before Tabata took full control.
As much as I've argued how much this project is still based on the original project, I'm still (slightly) up in the air about that. There have obviously been some aesthetic changes, which really don't matter (that much) in the end, although I find it a little odd that Kingsglaive characters all look "euro" but in the game they still look Japanese, that is a bit jarring, but eh? whatever, I guess... Also, we can now intuit for certain that story changes to the game were solidified in 2013, maybe right when Nomura was removed, because SE said that's when Kingsglaive entered production.

Where I think we the fans are still confused about is Tabata stated in a translated intereview that a major lore element from Versus XIII, reaper worship, was "removed" from XV to assure ratings restrictions would be met. What does that really mean? Just de-emphisized or actually eliminated from the world? We still don't know because they wont show us anything meaningful about Insomnia. What is stranger still is there ARE reaper statues clearly depicted in the destroyed Insomnia artwork and the lore painting, and the Big Bang Amano artwork (at least we think, that last one has not been confirmed)!!

I wish they would just be more clear about this, but I think (hope against hope) that they are keeping the story under wraps, and this is why we can't answer this question. The irony is that I think answering this question would once and for all, show whether or not there are real fundamental differences. We know Lucis was supposed to be based on modern Japan (obviously it still is) but the cultural aspects of that society, ie that everyone worshiped death (Etro from FNC) is being held back. (I don't buy that "black is a special color to Lucians" line--WHY is it a special color!?) In Versus....Nocis's near death experience, ability to see "the light of expiring souls" ie. DEATH, was very significant to the world and where he came from. The main reason things still dont add up now, is because (almost) every piece of media or interview we have got since Tabata took over, have contained tiny story bits, but have almost entirely lacked lore inclusion for the world of Eos, especially as pertains to the Lucian people (outside the royal family itself). We had a hint of the coming danger
the Plague of the Stars
in the TGS 2014 trailer, but there has been no consistency or really sequence in story scenes as what we got under Nomura.

A final thought which I admit is conjecture, but without the explanation, I am left in speculation territory, which again is where frustration is stemming from: We were originally promised gameplay of events that were moved to Kingsglaive, so in the game maybe we wont really even see Insomnia at all untill it is destroyed, at which point the culture that flourished there before the games story began wil be rendered moot anyway. I think for people like our own Kagari, myself, and for many others, looking around in and exploring Insomnia-which was the first environment teased for so many years-likely is gone, and, the (seeming) ramifacations for the games plot that stem from that, are disappointing.

It is one thing to change character appearances (Regis), it is something else entirely, to drastically alter the lore which surrounds the main protagonist. Have they really done that? Would they really change not just some event, but a fundamental idea about a part of Eos AFTER Episode Duscae was made??? That seems insane, but then again they showed the OG old Regis all the way until Gamescom 2015! I am almost convinced that this is still partially an elaborate SE troll, like how they kept the Regallia being the airship a secret. While I appreciated that reveal, this is one where I wish SE would shine some *Lucis* on the situation;)

Ragnarok

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 7, 2016
Finland
I was thinking about that scene which was shown in some trailers in the past. It's the one where Noctis walks down the stairs at the Insomnia palace while deflecting bullets... So maybe this scene will happen (if it is in the game anymore) after the throne has been reclaimed, probably like some years later. I'm thinking the "reclaim your throne" part will be like the first half of the game's story and we don't know nothing what happens after that since usually some quite unexpected things start to happen in FF games in the later parts.

RetroPS4

Chocobo Knight
Aug 10, 2015
I was thinking about that scene which was shown in some trailers in the past. It's the one where Noctis walks down the stairs at the Insomnia palace while deflecting bullets... So maybe this scene will happen (if it is in the game anymore) after the throne has been reclaimed, probably like some years later. I'm thinking the "reclaim your throne" part will be like the first half of the game's story and we don't know nothing what happens after that since usually some quite unexpected things start to happen in FF games in the later parts.
Welcome Ragnarok! I see this is your second post:) Were you following the game all the way back then too!? I know what you mean, that was basically the first major scene showed for Versus, it was in the extended CG from the E3 2006 Trailer--before we saw Regis, or anyone else aside from Noctis's allies(did we even see them?) I can't remember, lol. I too, wonder if we will see something of that scene, and if so, indeed where in the game it would ocurr...

Last edited:

Ragnarok

Balamb Garden Freshman
Apr 7, 2016
Finland
Thank you! It's nice to be here. :) I followed it back then but not so closely as now after the re-reveal as FFXV. Yeah, I'm quite glad that they haven't revealed much of the story and I hope it stays like that until release, even though I'm very curious about what will happen in it.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York

Tabata said you will come back to Insomnia before though.