Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
See, I can understand the general public being 'dumb' and not understanding why XV was delayed, but when news outlets like The Know come out and say "oh they wanted to avoid a big day 1 patch and now the Crown update is out, hurr durr looks like that went well for them" just outright infuriates me. It's the spread of misinformation, not just of this game, but of any game that ruins the image of a game. Like, I love The Know, and normally they are pretty good, but just watching the video would show them that the reason for the delay was to not only avoid that big day 1 patch, but to fix all the technical issues that would've been fixed with that day 1 patch, so that it would be playable to a satisfactory degree without the need of a patch.
General public isn't following game very close like we do, so i doubt they even know how drastically game changed in a good way since august, they only see a final result. I just hope it was worth it and they will enjoy the game ;^)

Meanwhile, get my PSN account back from my friend and finally bough Digital Premium edition prior to pre-load :p Happy now!

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I have never understood the scoring of Bethesda games. I can understand people finding the content to be top-notch (even if nothing about them seems appealing to me), but they usually don't get dinged at all for being flat-out broken. >_>;
You're right. They don't get penalised at all.

Like I said, bias and leniency.

Saw a tweet by insiders who know reviewers and they're saying the average score is
low 80's.

Something is definitely wrong if this game scores equal to, lower, or close to, FF13.

As much as I enjoyed 13, 15 should score much higher than it.

I've never put stock in review scores but if this were to happen, I would feel nothing but complete distrust in game reviewers. Nothing I dislike more than obvious bias.

Last edited:

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
Saw a tweet by insiders who know reviewers and they're saying the average score is
low 80s
I saw that, too, but I'm reluctant to put much stock in it without knowing the tweeter's track record. After the Verendus debacle, I'm not inclinded to trust anyone who hasn't been properly vetted. >_>;

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I saw that, too, but I'm reluctant to put much stock in it without knowing the tweeter's track record. After the Verendus debacle, I'm not inclinded to trust anyone who hasn't been properly vetted. >_>;
One of the people featured in the tweet is a mod here and at gaf.

However you're right, everything should be questioned.

Impressions in general have been positive and players loved the game.

It would be nice if it scored 90 since main cast are well fleshed out and there's a heap of mini games and side content according to those who have finished the game. Not to mention great music, art direction and stellar second half storytelling and ending.

Again if this scores close to 13 then I cry foul play.

Ikkin

Warrior of Light
Oct 30, 2016
What twitt guys? Can you share?
These ones, I'm assuming.

https://twitter.com/tenkay23/status/801508999128633344

https://twitter.com/tenkay23/status/801510532704587776

Insider saying review scores average so far. Don't click if you don't want to know the average but he says its reviewing well.
I'd suggest taking them with a grain of salt unless this Tenkay23 has a proven track record, especially because of this:

https://twitter.com/mistermegative/status/801513863766306817

MisterMegative is a GAF poster who staked his account to pass along impressions from an unidentified reviewer who called the game "excellent." (Given the context, I have strong suspicions as to the identity of said reviewer, but NDAs make speculation seem counterproductive. =P )

Erren Van Duine/Kagari is trustworthy, but her posts didn't really sound like independent confirmation to me. *shrugs*

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
I don't really understand that sentence about being "pretty damn good" but scores at average low 80, lol.
Low 80's is mediocre at best by today's standarts.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Sounds to me like we're getting mixed reports because this has always been a divisive game. It's looking like some are going to love it, some aren't, and the sane stories we've heard all the way through will be the same things we've been reading about for months.

Put together what we've seen so far and impressions we've heard, it sounds like yet another flawed masterpiece like every FF game. I guess it wouldn't be a final fantasy of half the fans didn't hate it, lol.

But still, I really would have expected it to be more if a hit critically. Especially with the bigger, more Wal Mart-y IGN like publications. Don't wanna jump the gun, though. I don't know who any of these people are. Gonna be an interesting day, though, lol.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I don't really understand that sentence about being "pretty damn good" but scores at average low 80, lol.
Low 80's is mediocre at best by today's standarts.
Low 80's is a failure in the eyes of the fanbase. Heck, putting it anywhere near FF13 in terms of score is bad even though I enjoyed that game.

The developers wouldn't like that one bit since they tried their absolute best to vastly improve the game and differentiate it from 13.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Uh, low 80's would literally tarnish Tabata and BD2's reputation to the core if true. I'll take this with a grain of salt, another XIII-like critical reception is the last thing the franchise needs right now.

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Low 80's is a failure in the eyes of the fanbase. Heck, putting it anywhere near FF13 in terms of score is bad even though I enjoyed that game.

The developers wouldn't like that one bit since they tried their absolute best to vastly improve the game and differentiate it from 13.
Also, you said "insiders" in your previous post. Who is another? Kagari is not a insider by any means.
I feel sorry for devs if its scores close to FFXIII, because people will judge by metacritic anyway.

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Also, you said "insiders" in your previous post. Who is another? Kagari is not a insider by any means.
I feel sorry for devs if its scores close to FFXIII, because people will judge by metacritic anyway.
Thought she is in the sense that she knows game reviewers and people who have worked on the actual game itself, like some of the mods on Gaf. However I'll probably refrain from using that word from now on.

As Ikkin said it's probably best to take all of this with a bit of salt until the actual review day.

I sincerely hope it gets at least 90 but I'm probably reaching.

The general reception is it's a flawed game (aren't all games though?), but a very great game in its own right with lots of fun to be had.

Hynad

Yevonite
Sep 19, 2016
I call bullshit on any claim that insiders have access to the average of the game's reception. As if most media outlets review scores were known by them already.

I think there's some insanity going on about this game right now, and it's passed being at toxic level.

And even if the game scored in the 80s, people considering such a score as being low seriously need to rethink their rating scale. Games aren't reviewed compared to high rated games from the 90s. Standards and expectations have changed since then. So the rating a game received nearly a decade ago, or even further back, doesn't scale linearly with what a game would get today. They simply don't compare like for like. There are many factors to be applied when it comes to rating of games, and time simply isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
Whether it's all bullshit or not we won't know until Monday.

This reminds me of the delay tbh.

People didn't wanna believe it but then when it was announced, people were shocked and angry. The signs were there but people chose to ignore it.

Personally I'm expecting low 80's from western outlets, but I'm hoping for 90. I do wish to see this game succeed commercially, critically, and with the fans.

It's like watching sports in a way, rooting for your favourite team to win xD

Jubileus

Warrior of Light
Oct 7, 2016
I call bullshit on any claim that insiders have access to the average of the game's reception. As if most media outlets review scores were known by them already.

I think there's some insanity going on about this game right now, and it's passed being at toxic level.

And even if the game scored in the 80s, people considering such a score as being low seriously needs to rethink their rating scale. Games aren't reviewed compared to high rated games from the 90s. Standards and expectations have changed since then. So the rating a game received nearly a decade ago, or even further back, doesn't scale linearly with what a game would get today. They simply don't compare like for like. There are many factors to be applied when it comes to rating of games, and time simply isn't one of them.
To clarify FF13 scored 83 or 84, one of those two but can't remember exactly.

The aim of the development team was to surpass 13 and make 15 the comeback title for the franchise.

I can't speak for the others, but for me, I wouldn't want this game to be anywhere near 13 because I think it has so many great things to offer, including an addictive, memorable and extremely fun experience, which 13 does not have (only fun thing was the combat).

If I was a developer, being close to 13 in score would signify a failure, so I'm talking about scores in terms of this.

Nova

Warrior of Light
Jul 14, 2015
Its also disturbing to consider the ramifications of what could happen to the franchise's future should the game underperform critically from SE's expectations. It could give them a nasty signal for them to just wave the flag and scale back on ambitious project development, despite thag i and plenty of you guys know for a fact that they've been busting their assess working overboard with care for FFXV.

I know people will bring up FFVII:R, but from my perspective having a Remake of a past successfully classical hit performing better critically and commerically over a big new mainline title sure as hell doesn't sound reassuring in the slightest.

Again, totally gonna take this with a huge grain of salt, as i absolutely wish for the best with XV and BD2, cause not gonna lie, i'd feel cheated up the ass if the work they put into this project would receive nothing but a spit to the face from the general public,

Leopold_Bloom

PSICOM Soldier
Feb 22, 2015
What are the logistics behind knowing multiple review scores?

I mean, I can understand an insider getting the scoop on one outlet, maybe two, that he is connected to.

This tweet makes it sound like an early metascore. How could somebody get multiple review scores at this stage?

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
And even if the game scored in the 80s, people considering such a score as being low seriously need to rethink their rating scale.
Yes 80's by normal rating system is a very good game, 8 out of 10 if you want. But, by metacritic standarts its mediocre at best.
I mean we don't know yet anyway, if im sure about gameplay, its really good since i played it, but i can't say the same about narrative and story, maybe its really garbage? Especially when you know that writer for the game is Dissidia one.
I think most of the concerns in the reviews will be story and writing, sadly.

Last edited:

Slaintimez

Keyblade Master
Sep 9, 2016
Also, what bothers me the most with this early game leak that now its nearly forces me to finish the game as fast as possible to expirience story by myself, because im fucking impatient and right now can only rely on random people impressions. Like i need to see if there is a real problem or its just made up bullshit of some people who havent even played the game and just enters the spoiler thread to validate his negativity?