Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

Final Fantasy XV - General News Thread

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
I only realized a while ago that people actually played older FFs on "Wait" :D Isn't a substantial part of the thrill of boss battles lost that way? Normal battles in FFs were mindless button-mashing 95% of the time anyway, but at least bosses could be tense if you had to think quick on "Active".
I play with Active with most of them, but on FFXII I play with Wait.

Looking-Over-This-and-playing-the-demo-for-the-third-time,-I-was-thinking-that-maybe-Cauthess-is-the-harbor-town._The-demo-mentions-that-noctis-andCo.-were-halfway-to-Cauthess(from-Insomnia)-while-in-the-10%-of-Duscae,-and-if-this-map-is-anything-to-go-by(as-it's-the-only-thing-that-is-sufficient-and-detailed)-then-halfway-from-that-point-the-only-other-town-is-the-harbor.-Lestallum-is-literally-right-by-duscae-near-the-canyon.-The-other-city-right-next-to-the-harbor-seems-to-be-a-good-candidate-as-well-as-it-too-is-halfway-from-Duscae/Lucis,-or-one-of-them-could-be-Cleigne-or-Leide(apparently-these-are-supposed-towns-in-the-game-too-from-what-the-wikia-page-says.)-
-
-
P.S.-sorry-for-writing-like-this-again-still-haven't-got-my-spacebar-fixed-yet.

Looking-Over-This-and-playing-the-demo-for-the-third-time,-I-was-thinking-that-maybe-Cauthess-is-the-harbor-town._The-demo-mentions-that-noctis-andCo.-were-halfway-to-Cauthess(from-Insomnia)-while-in-the-10%-of-Duscae,-and-if-this-map-is-anything-to-go-by(as-it's-the-only-thing-that-is-sufficient-and-detailed)-then-halfway-from-that-point-the-only-other-town-is-the-harbor.-Lestallum-is-literally-right-by-duscae-near-the-canyon.-The-other-city-right-next-to-the-harbor-seems-to-be-a-good-candidate-as-well-as-it-too-is-halfway-from-Duscae/Lucis,-or-one-of-them-could-be-Cleigne-or-Leide(apparently-these-are-supposed-towns-in-the-game-too-from-what-the-wikia-page-says.)-
-
-
P.S.-sorry-for-writing-like-this-again-still-haven't-got-my-spacebar-fixed-yet.
Thanks, I think you're right, I'll fix it after the ATR^^

Tornak

Keyblade Master
Nice, I guess, since (if the ATR isn't delayed) that could mean having it even before, as that date was the latest you could get in January. Although I guess they could release it around that day, as it's probably going to be a pre-recorded one.

The fact that the content will differ is interesting. I guess the ATR will be meatier than the Taipei presentation (is it going to be uploaded or streamed, btw?)

Yup, learned about it yesterday. It's nice to finally have a confirmation. I always had the feeling somehow that the red-haired dude and Gentiana were his designs since we saw them the first time :p Though I guessed wrong with Cor.

Nice, I guess, since (if the ATR isn't delayed) that could mean having it even before, as that date was the latest you could get in January. Although I guess they could release it around that day, as it's probably going to be a pre-recorded one.

The fact that the content will differ is interesting. I guess the ATR will be meatier than the Taipei presentation (is it going to be uploaded or streamed, btw?)
SE posted this link on Twitter recently:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SquareEnixPresents

https://twitter.com/FFXVEN/status/677518704708489216

Tornak

Keyblade Master
Nice, although I didn't express myself correctly, as I was actually referring to the Taipei one haha. Hopefully they'll announce things soon, but I could see that one not being broadcasted and being something exclusive for attendants.

I'm guessing the ATR's date is going to be announced this week and it's going to be for the next one. Unless they push the date to February.

I am not if sure if this was posted months ago but I will post it anyway.

Other characters confirmed to be designed by Roberto Ferrari.

His facebook
https://m.facebook.com/Roberto-Ferrari-ART-ロベルトフェラーリ-イラスト-944530178952674/timeline
Oh, didn't see this!

He actually designed the two characters I like the most out of that bunch (besides Cor): Gentiana is one of my favourite female characters designs in the series so far (black hair and green eyes is GOAT) and I really like the red-haired man, very elegant and unique.

I'm actually surprised he isn't Nomura's, don't know why I felt he was very Nomura-ish. I guess Ferrari is very good at mimicking his style, which is obviously something good as he works in games where Nomura is the main character designer haha.

Can't wait to see things like character concept art and stuff like that, it's a part of videogame production I've always loved (especially in Nomura's FFs, since I think his characters look much better on paper than on whatever game engine they're on, where they might look weird with that mix of realism and anime-ish aesthetics. Hell, I even liked Tidus' design on paper!).

Last edited:
Nice, although I didn't express myself correctly, as I was actually referring to the Taipei one haha. Hopefully they'll announce things soon, but I could see that one not being broadcasted and being something exclusive for attendants.

I'm guessing the ATR's date is going to be announced this week and it's going to be for the next one. Unless they push the date to February.

Oh, didn't see this!

He actually designed the two characters I like the most out of that bunch (besides Cor): Gentiana is one of my favourite female characters designs in the series so far (black hair and green eyes is GOAT) and I really like the red-haired man, very elegant and unique.

I'm actually surprised he isn't Nomura's, don't know why I felt he was very Nomura-ish. I guess Ferrari is very good at mimicking his style, which is obviously something good as he works in games where Nomura is the main character designer haha.

Can't wait to see things like character concept art and stuff like that, it's a part of videogame production I've always loved (especially in Nomura's FFs, since I think his characters look much better on paper than on whatever game engine they're on, where they might look weird with that mix of realism and anime-ish aesthetics. Hell, I even liked Tidus' design on paper!).
Oops, sry, thought you meant the ATR. I don't think there was a livestream of the Taipei show last year. I remember only having off-screen footage of the snowy train scene:

Tornak

Keyblade Master
Oops, sry, thought you meant the ATR. I don't think there was a livestream of the Taipei show last year. I remember only having off-screen footage of the snowy train scene:
Oh, so this year will probably the same. Can't complain having another presentation within the same days, though.

BTW, few games have captured the sense of freezing as well as in that gif, the animation is terrific and you can actually feel how fucking cold it is.

And trains! I love the trains in this series, particularly VIII and IX's. Very curious to see how they connect the world through highways, train tracks, as well as ships and, if they can get it done, airships. The continent is shown to be pretty big, so I'm very excited to see how organic and alive they make it feel.

The mere fact that there are cars and modern constructions there and there makes this game different to your usual RPG world. I loved The Witcher 3 and, even if the world is lively and incredibly well done, I'm tired of the same kind of fantasy, so a similar game in scope with this kind of setting is great.

Oh, so this year will probably the same. Can't complain having another presentation within the same days, though.

BTW, few games have captured the sense of freezing as well as in that gif, the animation is terrific and you can actually feel how fucking cold it is.

And trains! I love the trains in this series, particularly VIII and IX's. Very curious to see how they connect the world through highways, train tracks, as well as ships and, if they can get it done, airships. The continent is shown to be pretty big, so I'm very excited to see how organic and alive they make it feel.

The mere fact that there are cars and modern constructions there and there makes this game different to your usual RPG world. I loved The Witcher 3 and, even if the world is lively and incredibly well done, I'm tired of the same kind of fantasy, so a similar game in scope with this kind of setting is great.
Exactly.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Okay, here is something really interesting to think about with this new image.

Here below is the ATR teaser we got not long ago showing the new UI changes.

In case you can't see, it shows GUARD on L1 and ASSAULT on Square. The button for GUARD is being depicted as two rectangles and the bottom one being highlighted and with an L inside, so this would be L1. The ASSAULT button shows four circles with the left one being highlighted which represents Square. Pretty straight forward and what we expect from the Duscae demo.

Now... take a look at this...

Very hard to see, I know. However, you can just make out GUARD and ASSAULT again, right? Notice that they both seem to have the circles this time, GUARD seems to be on the left, while ASSAULT seems to be on the right. This would imply that GUARD is actually on Square this time, while ASSAULT is on Circle.

Now, we know that Japan uses alternate Cross and Circle buttons for International because of how they view these shapes. So, for the English version it would be ASSAULT is on Cross.

These changes are VERY big for XV, because this means that (at least for whatever gameplay mode this is supposed to be) that there is no Guard stance like in Duscae. How do I know this? Well, think about it. How do you plan on holding the Square button and pressing Circle at the same time for parrying? It does not make sense! L1 is a very relaxed button able to be used with free control of both thumbs. The only way to accomplish this decently is with a claw grip or something similar, which would be very frustrating.

So, what do I think this means? I think that this means that Square might act more like Kingdom Hearts does with the block mode. I still think you will hold down Square to guard perhaps, but parrying hopefully will now be based on your actual collision with incoming attacks deflecting just like in Kingdom Hearts.

You can also see that the weapon windows also look different, which means that from the ATR teaser they have tweaked the UI, so this must be more recent than that.

Honestly, I am very excited to see if my speculation is reality, and if it is I will be extremely excited for XV. The only major problems I had going forward were things like Block/Parry and with the weapon system, ever since the free weapon switching system was announced I was relieved/happy, this might bring me back to how I felt back when Versus XIII was first announced in terms of how happy I was with the battle system.

I believe that this might be one of those combat mode features that was mentioned previously, we will have to see.

ATR PLEASE HURRY UP!

Last edited:

Bazztek

Keyblade Master
Okay, here is something really interesting to think about with this new image.

Here below is the ATR teaser we got not long ago showing the new UI changes.

In case you can't see, it shows GUARD on L1 and ASSAULT on Square. The button for GUARD is being depicted as two rectangles and the bottom one being highlighted and with an L inside, so this would be L1. The ASSAULT button shows four circles with the left one being highlighted which represents Square. Pretty straight forward and what we expect from the Duscae demo.

Now... take a look at this...

Very hard to see, I know. However, you can just make out GUARD and ASSAULT again, right? Notice that they both seem to have the circles this time, GUARD seems to be on the left, while ASSAULT seems to be on the right. This would imply that GUARD is actually on Square this time, while ASSAULT is on Circle.

Now, we know that Japan uses alternate Cross and Circle buttons for International because of how they view these shapes. So, for the English version it would be ASSAULT is on Cross.

These changes are VERY big for XV, because this means that (at least for whatever gameplay mode this is supposed to be) that there is no Guard stance like in Duscae. How do I know this? Well, think about it. How do you plan on holding the Square button and pressing Circle at the same time for parrying? It does not make sense! L1 is a very relaxed button able to be used with free control of both thumbs. The only way to accomplish this decently is with a claw grip or something similar, which would be very frustrating.

So, what do I think this means? I think that this means that Square might act more like Kingdom Hearts does with the block mode. I still think you will hold down Square to guard perhaps, but parrying hopefully will now be based on your actual collision with incoming attacks deflecting just like in Kingdom Hearts.

You can also see that the weapon windows also look different, which means that from the ATR teaser they have tweaked the UI, so this must be more recent than that.

Honestly, I am very excited to see if my speculation is reality, and if it is I will be extremely excited for XV. The only major problems I had going forward were things like Block/Parry and with the weapon system, ever since the free weapon switching system was announced I was relieved/happy, this might bring me back to how I felt back when Versus XIII was first announced in terms of how happy I was with the battle system.

I believe that this might be one of those combat mode features that was mentioned previously, we will have to see.

ATR PLEASE HURRY UP!
Good analysis, maybe this has to do with the more "technical action" gameplay mode.

On another note, I've been seeing recently people talking about the "Prompto is a fugitive" thing, this was actually never stated by Nomura or anyone and is a massive mistranslation that stuck all the way since the early Versus days.

It was stated that Prompto uses guns which weapons that are outlawed in Noctis's kingdom, the kanji for outlaw is "無法者" which is also a kanji for fugitive, this would be where this "Prompto is a fugitive" thing came from and it got mistranslated and widespread, even though he was never actually stated to be a fugitive, he just uses guns which are weapons that are outlawed in Lucis.

One of the old Versus trailers also said "I FUGGITIVI", which is Italian for "The Fugitives", which Noctis, Ignis, Prompto and Gladio all technically are since they are all on the run from Niflheim.

So Prompto being a fugitive prior to the games events was never a thing and was just a mistranslation, but Prompto along with Noctis, Ignis and Gladio are all fugitives once Niflheim launches its attack on Lucis.

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Good analysis, maybe this has to do with the more "technical action" gameplay mode.

On another note, I've been seeing recently people talking about the "Prompto is a fugitive" thing, this was actually never stated by Nomura or anyone and is a massive mistranslation that stuck all the way since the early Versus days.

It was stated that Prompto uses guns which weapons that are outlawed in Noctis's kingdom, the kanji for outlaw is "無法者" which is also a kanji for fugitive, this would be where this "Prompto is a fugitive" thing came from and it got mistranslated and widespread, even though he was never actually stated to be a fugitive, he just uses guns which are weapons that are outlawed in Lucis.

One of the old Versus trailers also said "I FUGGITIVI", which is Italian for "The Fugitives", which Noctis, Ignis, Prompto and Gladio all technically are since they are all on the run from Niflheim.

So Prompto being a fugitive prior to the games events was never a thing and was just a mistranslation, but Prompto along with Noctis, Ignis and Gladio are all fugitives once Niflheim launches its attack on Lucis.
Wow, thank you for the clarification on this, even I thought the same thing until now, and wondered why they changed his character.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
The visual style on those latest game screenshots is very Versus XIII-esque. Think FFXV back in 2013 and it's visual style then. It's very similar to what we're seeing now.

It looks like they've been hiding a lot..... Which surprises me considering that the impression I got from 2015 was that they were revealing way too much of the game but even too much doesn't scratch the surface for the final game's content apparently. LMAO

We've just a little over a week to go til the end of January and still nothing....... I need that ATR in my life now guys. It's my life support.
It shouldn't come as a surprise they aren't showing much. In fact, it's exactly what they should have done last year. But just what are they going to show this ATR, considering all the talk about March?