Gameinformer May Cover: FFXV

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
May Cover Revealed – Final Fantasy XV

In our massive 20-page cover story, we offer an even more in-depth look at the game with exclusive new details. We spent a week in Tokyo visiting Square Enix’s offices with unprecedented access, playing the game for hours and interviewing the creative minds making it happen. We talk to the team about everything fans want to know: exploration, narrative, combat, summons, and more. Whether your enthusiasm for Final Fantasy is new, old, or even lapsed, this story is a must-read.
Includes a video with new footage.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
I know of at least one person who was there and this was his take (take this for what it's worth, which isn't much) :

From what I saw at an event that will remain carefully vague because I wasn't supposed to be there, it is bland boring oatmeal. The combat didn't feel good (I haven't tried the new demo yet) and environments I've seen are trying so hard to be "mostly realistic" (That part isn't secret, it's been that way since this was Versus XIII) that they lack character and any real reason to explore them. And what I've seen of the narrative is an enormous emoji shrug.

I think this game is going to be a commercial disappointment, especIally in Japan (and I think there are too many good competitors to distinguish it in other territories). It won't kill Square or anything, but I'm not sure that it won't kill mainline Final Fantasy. They should have cancelled it five years ago. Even if it's significantly better than I think it is, it's not good enough.

But, keep in mind, this is not a fan of the genre, it was based on seeing it, not playing it, and he probably thought the combat was like the first part of the demo trailer. I think it's likely he judged it too early, but the part about there being no compelling reason to explore the scenery echos a concern I have had ever since someone tried to gauge the size of the world. I think we should be prepared for a considerable amount of empty space in this game, which, BTW, I am totally OK with, but expect a lot of people screaming about this at the top of their fingertips about when the game is released.

Edit: please do not link this outside of this site.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
This drawing is, by far, one of my favourites of the entire series and gaming in general (and I don't remember all the GI covers, but probably one of the best ones, yeah). The atmopshere is regal and very elegant, from the room they're in, the dog, the paintings (that FFI reference), Regis and Noctis and how they're sitting... even the damn sofa.

Also, look at Regis' right leg and his cane. He's very clearly living on borrowed time :( I still really miss the amazing old design, but this one is pretty good and and, if we compare his younger self (in the latest trailer, when he's about to hug Noctis) and his broken, current one, there's a heartbreaking sensation. Add the Noctis' scene with Cor to that and bam. Hopefully this game has a lot of moments like that.

I hope we get a good preview of what they saw and played. The gondola footage is pretty beautiful and feels lively and Nagas are scary as shit (I really want to encounter these guys during the dark, dark nights). Also, that Titan with the cool rock™.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
I know of at least one person who was there and this was his take (take this for what it's worth, which isn't much) :

From what I saw at an event that will remain carefully vague because I wasn't supposed to be there, it is bland boring oatmeal. The combat didn't feel good (I haven't tried the new demo yet) and environments I've seen are trying so hard to be "mostly realistic" (That part isn't secret, it's been that way since this was Versus XIII) that they lack character and any real reason to explore them. And what I've seen of the narrative is an enormous emoji shrug.

I think this game is going to be a commercial disappointment, especIally in Japan (and I think there are too many good competitors to distinguish it in other territories). It won't kill Square or anything, but I'm not sure that it won't kill mainline Final Fantasy. They should have cancelled it five years ago. Even if it's significantly better than I think it is, it's not good enough.
Well I thought the combat didnt feel good either until I played it some more and found some of the nuances. So the dude probably judged it at first glance like most of us. As for the environments they look amazing the new world of wonder trailer was jawdropping. From what Ive played of duscae the world was a bit empty but thats too be expected of an open world game and is a complaint for almost all of them. That narrative from what Ive seen from the trailers seems really good. FF mainline games are never a commercial disappointment, yes console sales are not what they once were in japan. But ps4 is doing pretty good there nonetheless. I highly doubt this game will kill mainline FF, its so Final Fantasy, it will revive the brand after the damage XIII did to it. Im glad they didnt cancel it. From what im seeing it more than good enough for a Final Fantasy game way better than XIII and has all the elements that makes FF games amazing.

Rin

Reformed
Apr 11, 2015

But, keep in mind, this is not a fan of the genre, it was based on seeing it, not playing it, and he probably thought the combat was like the first part of the demo trailer. I think it's likely he judged it too early, but the part about there being no compelling reason to explore the scenery echos a concern I have had ever since someone tried to gauge the size of the world. I think we should be prepared for a considerable amount of empty space in this game, which, BTW, I am totally OK with, but expect a lot of people screaming about this at the top of their fingertips about when the game is released.

Edit: please do not link this outside of this site.
Welp.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Well I thought the combat didnt feel good either until I played it some more and found some of the nuances. So the dude probably judged it at first glance like most of us. As for the environments they look amazing the new world of wonder trailer was jawdropping. From what Ive played of duscae the world was a bit empty but thats too be expected of an open world game and is a complaint for almost all of them. That narrative from what Ive seen from the trailers seems really good. FF mainline games are never a commercial disappointment, yes console sales are not what they once were in japan. But ps4 is doing pretty good there nonetheless. I highly doubt this game will kill mainline FF, its so Final Fantasy, it will revive the brand after the damage XIII did to it. Im glad they didnt cancel it. From what im seeing it more than good enough for a Final Fantasy game way better than XIII and has all the elements that makes FF games amazing.
I am totally in agreement with you. Those comments of his actually started a bit of a verbal kerfuffle with him an me. I let it get me down for about 15 minutes before I remembered that I've spent far more time evaluating the game than he has. He's also pretty vehemently anti-AAA games for some solid reasons (he's not a total dummy by any means) and I think he transferred that over as well. When I rreminded him that this game doens't so much have to pay for itself, but that it may continue paying for itself indirectly for the next decade, I haven't heard back (which is fine the argument at this point would just be circular anyway).

But, I did feel it was important to share the take, as it is the honest take of someone in the industry (It's also good fodder because if this game ends up being the wild success I still have hopes it will be, I will quite happily rub it in his face :p) According to the twitter feed of the article writer, I'm hoping for a more enthusiastic 20 pages from him.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
From what I can gather from different tweets, the gameinformer.com issue with FFXV 20 pages writing contains mostly gameplay "spoilers" but no narrative "spoilers".

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
Ok. I have read the article. What that dude I quoted was talking about is basically the equivalent of trying to evaluate FFXII by what you see by the time you get the magicite at the fete, and if you had to skip the entire opening sequence.

Relevant tidbits:

-There are over 200 side quests already, with more still being added.
- Hunts confirmed!!
- Also chocobo racing
- Will not be as densely packed with little time waster quests as your typical "open world" game

There's a ton more, I'll add them in a bit (it's hard to keep track of them all while I'm at work)

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
- There are dialog options like Witcher 3, etc. They can grant buffs similar to the food buffs you get for the day
- Despite not having a quest to make them go and find it, they did find a cave system full of goblins to explore, so there is reason to explore
- But be careful with that, because you can up and wander into an area you shouldn't be in yet
- You can upgrade the regalia

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Ok. I have read the article. What that dude I quoted was talking about is basically the equivalent of trying to evaluate FFXII by what you see by the time you get the magicite at the fete, and if you had to skip the entire opening sequence.

Relevant tidbits:

-There are over 200 side quests already, with more still being added.
- Hunts confirmed!!
- Also chocobo racing
- Will not be as densely packed with little time waster quests as your typical "open world" game

There's a ton more, I'll add them in a bit (it's hard to keep track of them all while I'm at work)
Nice to see hunts and all those side quests.

DrBretto

Warrior of Light
Mar 18, 2016
- You will be able to upgrade your magic, like a synthesis system, creating blizzaga, etc.
- the growth system will have you choosing between building up Noctis and building up your bros
- Each bro has a skill they work on throughout the game. Noctis has fishing (which has actual progression), Ignis has cooking, Prompto takes pictures

They do go a bit into the story, but really not too far. They were not allowed to see the opener, or chapter 0 as they called it, and pretty much they described what we already know. We just didn't necessarily know what the whole first chapter would be like though, and they do basically describe it in its entirety, so beware if you want to avoid story spoilers. Again, it's nothing that we didn't pretty much mostly know, but it's still pretty much every detail of the first hour or two of the game.

llazy77

Warrior of Light
May 27, 2014
I thinks its time to go on a media blackout until september I already read the article and got the entire first chapter spoiled and i already kinda regret it not looking at any more info on this game until i get my hands on it