1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

LTTP: Nier

Discussion in 'RPG Discussion' started by yeah_93, Jan 9, 2014.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

So, I finally beat that game after countless of Neogaf posts recommending to play the game. I must say I find the game better than the reviews said (Metacritic Score: 68), but nowhere near the "masterpiece" Gaf tried to sold (I must say I find amusing how some people like to call this "Game of the Generation", they probably have not played any other game this generation). The game is fine. The graphics suck big time (the floor even has a PS1 like filtering, yes, it's that crap). The music is great, although I found the loops annoying; there were times I just wanted to stop the music because it became extremely annoying. The story has some holes, and could be better told, but the general premise is interesting. The characters are great, but I think they lack development. I was surprised by the reactions of some characters at certain events, that means I did not know the characters enough. The gameplay was meh. I found the combat boring and tedious at times, but I liked the "organic" feel the game has in regards to character movement (as opposed to games like Star Ocean 4, Tales of Xillia, and especially FF13).

What was I impressed with? Well despite the lack of development, the cast was easily the best RPG party of the generation for me, with Grimoire Weiss taking the crown as the best character. His VA, Liam O'Briem does a fantastic job voicing the character, and I feel that role couldn't have been done by anyone else.

I was disappointed by the small world, which is even smaller because of the fact that
    you have to play through most of the areas twice (don't get me started on that bloody shrine which you have to visit 3 times)
    , and the sidequests were abysmal.

Would I recommend it to another? To some degree. If the person enjoys RPGs for their stories, then most likely, yes.

What about you, what do you think of it? Sorry for the long rant.

2. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Red Wings Commander

I havent played it myself, but the intro has a woman shouting profanity at someone right? Said woman is also voiced by Laura Bailey. What a treat it is to hear her not use the usual teenage girl/young adult voice for once.

3. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

I was a bit surprised, as I did not know it was her. I was sick of hearing in the same character, so it was a nice chance to hear her. The character she voices uses profanities in almost every sentence.

4. APZonerunner

APZonerunner Network Boss-man Staff Member Administrator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

I don't have a ton to say other than I LOVE this game. Absolutely amazing. Lovely, brilliant, awesome. Deeply flawed, obviously. Actually outright a little bit shit in places... but just a lovely game. Highly recommended!

5. gaiages

gaiages :< Moderator Site Staff

One thing about Nier (that really makes it or breaks it for some people) is that you have to play it three times to get all the little story bits. It's true that the characters weren't really... developed, but the next playthroughs offer more information and the plot twists start to get really crazy too.

That said, I still need to get through it two more times. xD

Also, I do really like the game, but Game of the Generation? Not by a long shot. It's probably cavia's best game, though (I dunno what it is, but there's always some bad flaws in their games), which says a lot.

Oh, and yes, those sidequests were annoyingly terribad. I got through a good deal of them on the first playthrough so I wouldn't have to worry about them in the subsequent playthroughs, but it would be so boring. Don't even get me started on if you ever wanted to enhance a weapon ever.

Glad you enjoyed it, though. :)

6. Stealth

Stealth Red Wings Commander

I should give that game another chance

7. Zack

Zack Somniac Staff Member Moderator Site Staff UFFSite Veteran

I had a great experience as well. It was so damn different than many of the games out there, and I found a ton of appeal with that, especially when it dared to mix genres. I agree that playing through the game at least three times (it truncates the story accordingly) is highly recommended as it brings out the best parts of that experience. It may be flawed, but I think that's what made me enjoy it so much more. It wasn't trying to become something gigantic - it just is what it is, and I loved that.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!