1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hello! Join Us here on Mognet Central & be part of one of the best FF & RPG communities around! You can even sign up with your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Steam Account, Kupo!

Rise of the Tomb Raider Announced

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Squirrel Emperor, Jun 9, 2014.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!

1. Fleur

Fleur Red Wings Commander

I can just about see how Microsoft might theoretically benefit from this...even if it performs badly enough according to SE's own criteria that the money hat visibly ends up falling on its sword a bit. Microsoft have the seemingly infinitely deep pockets here.

But one has to wonder though, how much SE needed the Microsoft cheque. I thought they were largely out of the woods (or is it just the Japanese side that's doing well at the moment?), so it puzzles me why they would resort to such a short-term gain at the sacrifice of the longer-term prospects of the Tomb Raider IP.

2. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

It will benefit MS, but not so much Crystal D and SE, in my opinion. Although it's tough to say because we don't know exactly how much MS gave them; it could be a stupidly high sum. It has to be large enough for SE to give two middle fingers to their entire PC and PS fanbase - let's not forget this game was due for PS3, too - still a money maker. And, of course, after the lower than projected sales of the first game by SE's liking, this would undoubtedly perform even worse being just an Xbox exclusive now.

To actually not care about sales shows you how much MS must surely have thrown at SE.

Fuck the fans, fuck standards, fuck the long term and the fact that exclusives on Xbox One are a big risk right now - just take a good sniff of that cash and grab it while you can.

I'm disappointed, to say the least. I hope this doesn't have negative impacts in the long run for CD and SE. I mean, a part of me wants them to treat TR with more respect, but I don't want this hurting them badly or anything. I just can't help but think of how exclusives can have the opposite effect sometimes. The backlash is already proof of it, but we'll see just how many people really will buy an XBO just for this game when the time comes.

As much as I was looking forward to this game, however, I know I certainly won't be getting one. If anything, it's turned me off Xbox even more.

3. Squirrel Emperor

Squirrel Emperor Nuts Staff Member Moderator

Perhaps the way Square Enix sees it is that it's basically free money. It'll still come to PS4 and PC and those who want to play it on those two platforms will buy the game. How many will actually refuse to buy it at that point?

4. Squirrel Emperor

5. yeah_93

yeah_93 AVALANCHE Warrior

You forgot Fall of the Tomb Raider, which is going to be a Mobile title. Gotta please SE's overlords.

6. Shin Kazama

Shin Kazama ShinRa SOLDIER UFFSite Veteran

Definitely calling timed exclusive. Still in bad taste but I guess it's smart from a business standpoint.

7. Wazi the pa

Wazi the pa Samurai Legend Moderator Site Staff

But how long will PS4 and PC gamers wait for the game after it has released on Xbox? Who knows............

8. Fleur

Fleur Red Wings Commander

People expected it, but here's the actual confirmation.

It's a timed exclusive, or as Phil Spencer puts it, the deal "has a duration".

Still no word on how long it will last for though, but I hope the money was worth it!

9. yeah_93

"Is it timed?"
    MS: "No, it's exclusive for the Xbox"
    "But it has to be timed, right?"
    MS: "I said it was exclusive for Xbox"
    "I won't believe your lies, it's timed"
    MS: "No it's exclusive"
    "Wonder how long is it going to be until it's released for PS4 and PC"
    MS: "You win goddammit! It's timed."

10. Azuardo

Azuardo Materia Hunter Staff Member Moderator

After all that money and sickeningly insulting corporate PR bullshit Crystal statement, they buckle. Really surprised they gave in - 24 hours later, no less - after the GTA and Mass Effect deals in the past where we simply had no idea until they expired.

Reading over the CD statement again, every single line reeks of pure shit. I kinda hate what this company ass-kissing, anti-consumer industry has become.

Whatever. I'll be picking TR2 up in the sales on PS4 down the road.

11. yeah_93

You can't expect less, considering their elusive statements where they never said it was going to be an exclusive forever. That, and the backlash that resulted. I hope they don't try to pull this crap again.

12. Wazi the pa

Wow....... Microsoft are bastards.......
    But I don't understand why Crystal Dynamics or Square Enix didn't just say out that it will come to other platforms soon.......
    They made so many people worry, God dammit.

Really damn sucks to wait for the game to come to the PS4.....
    The 'business deal' shouldn't have happened in the first place.....

13. Squirrel Emperor

Wonder how many people would be rejoicing or not really care if this were the other way around and was a timed exclusive on the PS4 instead?

Personally I don't know why Phil Spencer just came out and said it was a timed exclusive. Talk about a waste of money.

14. Wazi the pa

In the end, the game will be only on Xbox for a long time, so their purpose still has been fulfilled but im guessing there will be some who will wait and some with an xbox who will quickly buy.

15. Squirrel Emperor

Xbox’s Phil Spencer Talks Rise of the Tomb Raider Exclusivity

16. Wazi the pa

Good for Spencer and Xbox but considering that they are investing on the development of the game, I don't think we could expect the game to come to other platforms for a long time. A couple of months would be child's talk.

17. Wazi the pa

However, it makes sense why Crystal Dynamics went forward with the deal: Investment for development and marketing of the game and in return, they make the game timely exclusive to a console. It's a huge benefit for them.

**EDIT**
    Still pissed off.

18. Squirrel Emperor

Couple of months would be waste of money otherwise what's the point of making such investment?

It's going to be deep into 2016 or beyond before PS4 owners gets to play it.

19. Wazi the pa

Exactly what I thought. Now the question is that whether the people will wait that long or decide to get an Xbox One to play the new Tomb Raider. It's hard to say whether Rise of the Tomb Raider will be the "System-Seller" or not until Crystal reveals more of the game.

Registered Members don't see ads. Sign up! It's Free!