Should FF Type-0 be a numbered title?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Skye

Red Wings Commander
Sep 26, 2013
Since they've announced HD Remaster for the PS4, Should the title be as XVI? I thought Type-0 would be weird name.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Plus, I feel there are certain standards you expect from the next mainline FF game. Calling a handheld port the latest in line in the numbered series would be wrong to me. Doesn't make it any less of a potentially great game, but just wouldn't be right. We don't need to start messing around changing names again like we did in the NES/SNES days.

Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy Type-0 was designed as a handheld game. Not a console game.

And renaming Final Fantasy Type-0 to Final Fantasy XVI would give many the impression that Final Fantasy has taken a gigantic step backwards.

Consumers expect amazing production values with the numbered titles. They don't want PSP visuals. They want PS4 visuals. They want the latest and greatest. If they create a numbered title with PSP looking visuals, people will turn away.

Final Fantasy Type-0 does not deliver that console Final Fantasy experience consumers want and expect. That type of quality is not the main reason why people bought a PS4 and XB1 in the first place either.

Renaming it to Final Fantasy XVI would be a terrible idea. It could damage the brand.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Squirrel Emperor wrote virtually the same thing I was going to write but beat me by 2 minutes :p

So here is my obligatory, "Yeah, that" reinforcement reply.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
SE has stated in the past that numbered titles will always be console games, indicating the high production values that we expect, whilst spin-offs and the like will more often than not remain as handheld titles. That further rules out this sort of thing happening.

May 26, 2014
Not to mention it would make SE's development/release schedule unnecessarily complicated. If they were to rename it then having it ready before XV would be a problem. They'd have to delay it until after XV's release, even if there comes a more optimal time to release it in the meanwhile. And I'd imagine they'd want to place a good chunk of time between the release of Type-0 (or, in this hypothetical case, XVI) and XV, since both games cater towards largely the same audience. Don't want that customer overlap!

Prince Naphtali

ShinRa SOLDIER
Dec 23, 2013
Yes, It doesn't matter if they already released it, It would be better as a numbered title and would make some sense as to why it wasn't released on vita. I would love it to be a numbered title and be treated as such.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
Yes, It doesn't matter if they already released it, It would be better as a numbered title and would make some sense as to why it wasn't released on vita. I would love it to be a numbered title and be treated as such.
What are you saying? The game was already released as a spin-off, not a mainline numbered title. It wouldn't make sense at all. And not only that, but also because of the (very coherent) reasons that other people gave.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Nah. The next numbered FF needs to be something new. Even though I liked 13, too many of the recent stuff is tied to that mythos of l'cie and fal'cie and people want something new. Even 15 has some of it. When 16 hits, it should be something completely removed from the way the 13s, type-0 and 15 are. I'm hoping it'll be something like 9 and 6 mixed together but with a completely unheard of plot. Like a conspiracy that that's been in affected since the creation of a world or something.

Sep 26, 2013
Except this game was designed as a handheld game and is nothing like a console Final Fantasy experience people expect. The public perception would not be positive if it were a numbered title.

would make some sense as to why it wasn't released on vita.
PlayStation Vita needs more market share in the west. The platform is not selling well. That’s why Square Enix has decided not to port Final Fantasy Type-0 to it.

Crystal Power

Keyblade Master
Nov 29, 2013
United States
It would not be right imo. It was already released as the PSP game Final Fantasy Type-0, if they slapped XVI on it that would be incredibly lazy, also it would most likely release before XV. Just doesn't feel right...

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I think if it hadn't already launched in Japan as Type 0 they could do this... but that ship has sailed now.
Maybe if it looked like a fully fleshed FF and not like a made-for-portable game. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that it would not be what people expect from a numbered FF.