Starting FF2, any tips?

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sora96

Warrior of Light
Nov 12, 2014
Australia
kh13.com
I'm starting the Android version of Final Fantasy II, which is of course a slightly bad port of the iPhone version which is of course a port of the PSP version. So anyone got some tips?

I can't speak for the Android version, but here are some of my experiences with FFII (PSP version). I imagine things can't be too dissimilar for the mobile version.

- Watch where you're going. The world map is technically one entire landmass. Inevitably, it means you may wander into a zone with hordes of overpowered monsters without properly realising it. I recall in the PSP version, just wandering to the very southernmost tip of the peninsula below Altair spawned insanely tough monsters - as did the section of the map to the very northwest of the town. If you're starting off, don't stray too far away from the towns you're meant to be in, just for safe measure.

- Expect to be frustrated. You're dealing with a progression system that is very, very flexible; it is arguably the most flexible in the series, because your characters start off as complete blank states, and you can theoretically create a powerhouse of a character with the highest melee damage output, who is also a tank with high HP, and a beast of a healer or black mage. The problem is, you're going to have to work to level up these individual traits, spells and abilities. For Cure to be of much potent use, it will need to cast over and over again in battles so it can level up its rank. For MP to rise, you'll have to cast a lot of spells. For HP to rise, your characters have to take some hits (even if it means YOU have to hit them yourself to do it quickly). You want your character to be a swordsman? Give them a sword and make them continuously use it as long as needed. This system also applies to spells like Teleport.

HP - Increases after a certain battles.
MP - Use magic constantly during battles.
Strength - Use the "Attack" command often.
Stamina - Will increase based on how much damage is taken.
Intelligence - Use White Magic often.
Magic - Use Black Magic often.
Accuracy - Increases the more attacks successfully hit.
Evasion (Agility) - Increases when an enemy uses a physical attack on a character.
Magic Defence - Increases when an enemy uses a magic attack on a character.

- Inn is a ripoff. The price is scaled according to how healthy your party currently is versus their maximum stats, so it can quickly become expensive. You're better off investing in Cure spells for everybody to offset the price.

And that's all I can remember at the moment. I didn't really enjoy or finish the game, quite frankly. Hopefully you'll be more successful at it than I was.