Analysing the latest FFXV ATR - Gameplay Details

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Yep.

And well, here's BladeRunner's interpretation of the summons:

I agree with most of them, except the one that says Siren, who I actually think is Leviathan (FF's Siren has never been the usual interpretation of a mermaid and is rather the half bird, half woman one (that was, iirc, the one that existed before)).

While the serpent, I think, is a lesser being (like all the other suffering individuals, like Ultros). Also, I actually have the totally stupid theory that Gentiana is Leviathan's human form. Don't laugh.

Ah, hopefully we get NEW summons this game. One of the things I actually loved about X were the new ones. Ramuh is great and all that, but man, I adore Ixion. And Valefor and Anima too!

PS: I wish we could get a mainline FF that looked just like that painting. Love the classical look, it might as well be a real life mythological-based painting.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Yep.

I agree with most of them, except the one that says Siren, who I actually think is Leviathan (FF's Siren has never been the usual interpretation of a mermaid and is rather the half bird, half woman one (that was, iirc, the one that existed before)).
Haha, this is quite old. Back then we didn't know about Leviathan being female so I didn't even consider the possibility that it could be a mermaid (and I applaud anyone who did). But now I shamefully admit that the serpent doesn't even look much like Leviathan (creepy teeth and lacks those huge fins). And since we assume that summons can take on a humanoid form then the guy she's hugging is definitely Bahamut.

I also described the knights around Etro as Knights of the Round but I'm not really sure about it. Actually my first thought was that they are Noctis' ancestors (past kings of Lucis) but then I figured they're up there with other summons so KotR made more sense to me. Ideally they are both, I guess.

inb4 I know the goddess may not be named Etro since they're cutting off the FNC stuff but she's likely still the same goddess of death so whatever.

Also, I actually have the totally stupid theory that Gentiana is Leviathan's human form. Don't laugh.
Both the mermaid and Gentiana are Leviathan? Is Levi the FFXV's Xehanort then? :chocowalk:
(very serious, not laughing I swear)

Oct 19, 2013
Yep.

While the serpent, I think, is a lesser being (like all the other suffering individuals, like Ultros). Also, I actually have the totally stupid theory that Gentiana is Leviathan's human form. Don't laugh.

Ah, hopefully we get NEW summons this game. One of the things I actually loved about X were the new ones. Ramuh is great and all that, but man, I adore Ixion. And Valefor and Anima too!

PS: I wish we could get a mainline FF that looked just like that painting. Love the classical look, it might as well be a real life mythological-based painting.
It's not that far-fetched, honestly. Had the same theory a few days ago on GAF. Quoting myself:

"
I'm calling it, Gentiana is a summon in human form.

Her assistant Gentiana is not just any assistant. Rather, she herself also is a special existence, you could say.

Regarding the key visual of Noctis and Luna as children – the dog is delivering a message that connects Luna to Noctis. The dog is not a pet but perhaps is similar to Gentiana.​

Another "hint":

Finaland: Final Fantasy XIV showed a completely new primal called Ravana. Will Final Fantasy XV also showcasing a new original summon or will it stick with popular summon such as Shiva, Ifrit, and Leviathan?

Tabata: There is a certain Eidolon, one of the ones that you've seen previously, which appears in a completely new form. It's a very different take on the same old character. There is also a very good story-based reason as to why we are sticking to more traditional, familiar Eidolons in this game. The reason for that is because this time around, the Eidolons play a very big part in the story and are very much an integral part of the game world. So we thought it would be better to have the traditional ones, the ones everyone is familiar with, to see how they fit in the story and what is the backstory behind these characters, rather than having completely new Eidolons.

The Japanese name for the Eidolons, "shôkanjû", literally means "summoned beasts". That certain image may not be relevant for FFXV. The way we look at summons in this game, they are not random animals or monsters, they are very intelligent creatures with their own thoughts and their own agendas. Hopefully people will have a lot of fun seeing this new take on how the Eidolons appear and fit into the game. Sounds quite interesting, doesn't it?​
"

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
Fugg, I lurk GAF quite a bit, so that's most likely where I got "my" theory and I had forgotten that it wasn't mine and was... "inspired". Hahaha. I mean, I had kinda thought about that before, when the painting was released: whether there could be human-form Summons and actually wondered if she could be one of them (or the Dragoon, or NotEzio)... before we actually even knew her name or anything. So that was more wishful-thinking than anything, unlike your theory that I appropiated!

Very interesting info you've quoted btw, didn't know that Tabata had said that. Definitely something's up with that, it'll be interesting.

And given that we're in a battle analysis thread, I wonder if we could have battles againts their summon form and their human one. And if all summons are going to be giant-sized (Titan and Leviathan I get, but Ramuh is as human as you get and he still was giant). Hopefully the giant enemy mechanics are good enough, the warping system should be nice for them not to be too tedious, I guess? I wonder if we're still having that Leviathan setpiece and, if so, how battles are going to be there (if there are).

Haha, this is quite old. Back then we didn't know about Leviathan being female so I didn't even consider the possibility that it could be a mermaid (and I applaud anyone who did). But now I shamefully admit that the serpent doesn't even look much like Leviathan (creepy teeth and lacks those huge fins). And since we assume that summons can take on a humanoid form then the guy she's hugging is definitely Bahamut.

I also described the knights around Etro as Knights of the Round but I'm not really sure about it. Actually my first thought was that they are Noctis' ancestors (past kings of Lucis) but then I figured they're up there with other summons so KotR made more sense to me. Ideally they are both, I guess.

inb4 I know the goddess may not be named Etro since they're cutting off the FNC stuff but she's likely still the same goddess of death so whatever.

Both the mermaid and Gentiana are Leviathan? Is Levi the FFXV's Xehanort then? :chocowalk:
(very serious, not laughing I swear)
It could be both yeah, I'd love for the Knights (or something similar) to return. I really like how Noctis and co are represented through those four men, too.

Hopefully summons are actually important to the battle system and aren't too broken. I wonder how they're going to work: what will trigger them? Are we going to fight all/some of them? How much can we use them? Will be able to use them in small places (I don't think so)?

And yeah, Tabata told me that that was one of the Nomura things he wanted to keep :p

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
Happy to bump this wonderful thread, I just wanted to ask a quick question- are you aiming to do another analysis for the footage debuting on the 30th LeonBlade? I think the whole forum would be delighted if you had it in you to do another!

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
Happy to bump this wonderful thread, I just wanted to ask a quick question- are you aiming to do another analysis for the footage debuting on the 30th LeonBlade? I think the whole forum would be delighted if you had it in you to do another!
Of course! I might try to do a video version this time, I was going to do a video for this one, but it ended up being weeks later and I still didn't get it done, so I figured it was too late to bother as the hype was going down already being that old.

I'm glad that some of you enjoy it.