FF7Remake and unique character abilities and gameplay style

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Most people praise Final Fantasy VII for having one of the most flexible ability systems. Personally though, I find that to be a little blase, since outside of some stat differences, the characters are interchangeable. True, each character does have certain strengths, such as Aerith being a magical canon, Barret being a damage tank, and Cloud being broken, mostly these differences fall away at higher levels and with better materia combinations. Even the limits tend to all mirror each other in damage formula.

But what about vanilla combat? Would it be a good thing of each of the characters had abilities that gave them unique strengths?

I have come up with some ideas:

Cloud: highest strenght stat with magic being among the lowest in the group (but not the weakest). Has the fastest moves in the game. His gameplay style is agressive, with skills that helps in overwhelm and punish foes as fast as possible. For the most part Cloud is only a group fighter with very little aerial capabilities.

Tifa: Her strenght stat would be somewhere in the low-mid/mid of the scale. As martial artist she would have the fastest moves in the game, her fighting style would involve in making long combo chains as much as possible, the longer her combos are, the higher her dps becomes, her abilities also gain some extra properties (In other worlds it Tifa´s gameplay would be something akin to Vergil in Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition), her ground potential is good but weaker than cloud´s but Tifa is the character with the best aerial combat.

Barret: Long range fighter with his machine guns with mid-low dps to balance out his long range attribute. Highest HP of the group and highest def stat. He has some AoE long range abilties. Pretty simple.

This is all I have for now, will come up with more later.

Last edited:

Lulcielid

Warrior of Light
Oct 9, 2014
Argentina
Vincent: In the OG game Vincent had mediocre stats save for magic (second highest), so here he would be the spellcaster of the group.
Gameplay style:
  1. Gun(s) do very low dps.
  2. Is the only character that can "chain combo" spells in a countinuous and uninterupted way..
  3. Has the highest magic stat and MP of the group.
  4. Is the only character that can regen his MP (be it via cooldown like in Kingdom Hearts 2 or or just natural MP regen like in Final Fantasy XV), this goes in sync with him being a character focused heavily on spaming and combining spells.
  5. Like his OG counterpart, he in general has terrible stats outside of magic, being easy to take down in few hits.
  6. His Limit Break transformations...I don´t know how they will make this part out, I´ll leave this blank for the time being.
Covering other characters later.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2015
Vincent: In the OG game Vincent had mediocre stats save for magic (second highest), so here he would be the spellcaster of the group.
Gameplay style:
  1. Gun(s) do very low dps.
  2. Is the only character that can "chain combo" spells in a countinuous and uninterupted way..
  3. Has the highest magic stat and MP of the group.
  4. Is the only character that can regen his MP (be it via cooldown like in Kingdom Hearts 2 or or just natural MP regen like in Final Fantasy XV), this goes in sync with him being a character focused heavily on spaming and combining spells.
  5. Like his OG counterpart, he in general has terrible stats outside of magic, being easy to take down in few hits.
  6. His Limit Break transformations...I don´t know how they will make this part out, I´ll leave this blank for the time being.
Covering other characters later.
I'm a bit late to the party but I agree with you here. What you are proposing very much reminds me of FFX where every character had a unique class and set abilities and they needed to be used for specific kinds of enemies like Wakka for flying enemies and Lulu for high physical defense enemies that are weak against elemental magic. Each character has stats specifically for their job class. I honestly wouldn't mind something like this for the FFVII remake but maybe not quite to the degree in which FFX had.

Last edited: