Final Fantasy World Wide Words (Android and iOS)

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Squirrel Emperor

Nuts
Sep 26, 2013
Final Fantasy’s Latest Mobile Game Fights Monsters With Words
We’ve seen the Final Fantasy series take battle in the form of music with Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, and their next little spin-off title will have you fight monsters with the power of words, according to this week’s issue of Famitsu magazine. [Thanks, Hachima.]

Final Fantasy World Wide Words will be the series’ very first “text-input battle RPG” where you’ll fight enemies by quickly inputting keys of the words that appear. There will also be all kinds of characters spanning from various titles throughout the series.

The game will feature all kinds of references from the Final Fantasy series including elements such as leveling up and abilities, and there’s a “Decoration” feature that will allow you to add other words to the one given to you in order to increase its power.

Final Fantasy World Wide Words launches in Japan on September 16 for Android and sometime in the near future for iOS.

Jul 29, 2014
Miami
Believe it not Square, transparency is greatly appreciated in the gaming industry. There's no need to hide behind pretty words to market these types of games.

Just create a new franchise called "The Cash-Grab" series. Instead of thinking up title names like "All the Bravest" or "World Wide Words" while nonchalantly slapping the 'Final Fantasy' moniker on it, just start calling these games "Cash Grab", "Cash-Grab: The Sequel", etc. We all now that's what they really are, anyways.

/sarcasm.

buddhafied

Sphere Hunter
Sep 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Without knowing more information, it's hard to tell what this game is like... but the "text input battle" part reminds me of a game that was done by SquareSoft for the Famicon (never made it outside Japan) called Rudra no Hihou:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudra_no_Hihō

Aside from some standard spells, players can enter words to create "new spells" or "words of power".

I wouldn't completely discount this game just yet...

Kaii

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Aug 19, 2014
San Diego
Without knowing more information, it's hard to tell what this game is like... but the "text input battle" part reminds me of a game that was done by SquareSoft for the Famicon (never made it outside Japan) called Rudra no Hihou:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudra_no_Hihō

Aside from some standard spells, players can enter words to create "new spells" or "words of power".

I wouldn't completely discount this game just yet...
That does sound really really cool; it reminds me of a tabletop game I played recently called Fate, which has you invoke several-word-long "aspects" to gain more power. However, I'm worried that this kind of game might not translate well to English. Rudra no Hiho seems to depend on prefixes and suffixes that I think might be more intuitive in the Japanese.

But then again I really have no idea what a "Typing RPG" is supposed to mean in practice. It makes me think of Mario Teaches Typing...

ConceptX

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 1, 2014
United Kingdom
They need to stop.
Making money? Because this shit sells in Japan.

I couldn't care less how many mobile games they churn out as long as no development time is taken from console and portable games.

Theatrhythm is really fun actually, I didn't expect much of it, and went away very impressed. Of course it has nothing on a "real" Final Fantasy game, as a side game and as a rhythm game, it's a great time killer.

I can say I have zero interest in this strange typing "rpg" though, the only upcoming mobile game I'll be checking out is G-Bike. FFEX looks interesting for portable, and of course the real interest is Type-0, XV and KH.

Not sure how well this will translate to English with some of the more alien fantasy words.

Kaii

PSICOM Soldier
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Aug 19, 2014
San Diego
I couldn't care less how many mobile games they churn out as long as no development time is taken from console and portable games.
But doesn't it? I know it's almost definitely not the same people who work on the mobile apps as the rest, but it definitely diverts some resources -- money, advertising, personnel, etc.

Even if some resources are taken up, they're not likely to be at any tangible detriment to projects with high priority. These kind of mobile endeavours are what they are: they don't require a lot of staff or presumably as much specific expertise, not much pre-planning and pre-development to have headaches over, don't take long to make, and are generally just cheap as chips to put out for short-term money.

Because otherwise, you're just a poorly managed company run by chimps.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
Making money? Because this shit sells in Japan.

Theatrhythm is really fun actually, I didn't expect much of it, and went away very impressed. Of course it has nothing on a "real" Final Fantasy game, as a side game and as a rhythm game, it's a great time killer.

I can say I have zero interest in this strange typing "rpg" though, the only upcoming mobile game I'll be checking out is G-Bike. FFEX looks interesting for portable, and of course the real interest is Type-0, XV and KH.

Not sure how well this will translate to English with some of the more alien fantasy words.
Agree. People too often shit on SE and other companies for making cash-grabs, but the truth of the matter is SE needs to create cheap(er) ports and mobile games like these to drag in as much quick cash as possible to help put to use on their console games. Okay, SE might put too much focus and waste resources on their pointless CG movie trailers and shit (what a waste of time and money Agni's Philosophy was), but we all know the state that SE is in and how much console games cost to make these days.

If you guys want FF console games, you need to accept that mobile cash-grabs like these are necessary.