Naoki Yoshida on why the Original FFXIV Failed and the Lessons Learned

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Sep 26, 2013
Naoki Yoshida held a power point presentation earlier today at GDC 14 where he explained why the original FFXIV failed and shares what developers have learned from developing and redeveloping the title.
Why the original FF14 failed, from producer Naoki Yoshida

What the developers learned from developing and redeveloping FF14

Source: https://twitter.com/gamasutra

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
The things they've learned are rules that the developers should abide by when it comes to Final Fantasy. You don't do things like "ignore your roots" and "forget your fans" when it comes to an IP that is over 25 years old. There is a reason why Final Fantasy has lasted as long as it has.

"An unhealthy obsession with graphics quality" is something they've been obsessed with since the PSX days.

Nov 29, 2013
Yoshida was willing to scrap animations and a degree of the graphics for the sake of a more responsive gameplay. While I am sad to see them absent from A Realm Reborn, I have to give him credit for having the guts to do what he did. He has stated before that doing a single-player Final Fantasy is always a possibility, but as of now he has responsibilities with maintaining ARR.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Even then, like Tanaka they'll probably just never let him go now. When ARR starts to get old, they'll put him on a new MMO. Which is a bit of a bummer, but alas. At least the MMOs are in safe hands.

masterlobo

Red Wings Commander
Oct 23, 2013
I think this slide is very important, at least in the MMO context.

But yeah...I guess some hating is ok after all lol

Nov 29, 2013
It's up to the devs to constantly balance the economy, and they're being paid by the players to build a better quality of life in their MMO world. So yeah, they're pretty synonymous to a government running a country haha.