Obsolete

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Are Summons and Limit Breaks obsolete?

• Total voters

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
People often brag to me when I tell them how much I like Limit Breaks and Summoning that they never need to used either of those. They say a better gamer can win without using what they see as crutches. Wat do you think? Should Limit Breaks and Summoning be removed from FFs? Are they no long needed? In the 13s they were almost nonexistent. And in 12, summoning had a lot of restriction preventing you from casting the Esper's best skills. I want them to stick around and get more focus on them. To me, a character's LBs make them more unique. Especially when they tie in to a character's class or personality.

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I personally think that Limit Breaks are cool - just that they need to have better mechanisms (Trance in IX comes to mind). As for summons, I never really care for them.

Tornak

Keyblade Master
May 18, 2014
Madrid, Spain
I love limit breaks when they're well done, but they need to make them relevant again. XII is one of my favorite games ever, but when it came to limit breaks... I don't know, never cared for them.

And it's the same for summons, it really adds to the lore of the game (I love what they're seemingly doing with XV, integrating them as countries' protectors/heraldries or something like that). But i'd like them to innovate a little bit with this command, like they did with X (I hated lots of things in that game, but battles were not one of those).

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
Yeah the only Quickening I like in 12 were Vaan's and Bosch's.

Basically when I thought up posting this thread I'm thinking about if 15 will continue to nix summoning and LBs.
Nomura seems to like them, so they'll be there. But hope that people don't write them off as pointless and LBs and Summons fade away from FFs forever.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I think the 3-minute cutscene, even skippable, is. Yeah.

I actually think in modern FF summons will be better used as a lore and plot device rather than gameplay. FF9 is I think the primary example of this, and FF10 as well, though that of course has a larger gameplay focus on them as well.

The appearance of Leviathan in the context it has in the FF15 trailers is promising in that respect.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
It seems with Noct's telekinesis control over weapons we'll get LBs that are fast and able to be re-used in the same battle. Either that or that power is just a special skill.

I had no idea people felt like this so commonly even on the net. When I watch LBs I marvel at how cool the are and how badass a character is to be able to do them. I'm even more into the LBs in FFX where you hit buttons to make them more powerful. I've often thought dodging in RPGs should be that way when it's turn-based. Hit a button at the right time and avoid the attack altogether.

Sep 26, 2013
Limit breaks and summoning are integral parts of Final Fantasy, to me. If you cut them out, you cut away a lot of my interest in the series. Summoning especially is my favorite element in Final Fantasy, though I am of the opinion that it needs to evolve as a system. If they hadn't hit like wet noodles, I'd have said that XIII did an exquisite job with summoning. It was just too under tuned to be useful as more than a breather for the party. I hope that XV can integrate them even further into the action in a seamless but satisfyingly powerful fashion. Leviathan's scale is already very promising to me.

As for limit breaks, they are fantastic but more replaceable to me. I love the over the top power and unique flair limit breaks add to a character. However, if each character has a slew of unique and powerful abilities, I can live with the absence of limit breaks. My main interest in them is diversifying the characters from one another, as I really don't care for systems where everyone can do everything.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
.... as I really don't care for systems where everyone can do everything.
Exactly. That's why when I play FF7 I use materia to make the party into classes or each have a set task they do in battle. For example Vincent would be the main chara to use barriers on the party and use fire spells and fire elem summons. While Tifa and Cloud would do healing and water, and thunder and haste. Doing that plus them having their own unique skills or limit breaks makes them who they are. If every character is a blank slate in battle like with FF12 for the most part (except Quickenings), then the characters you fight with become unimportant. That's bad for a player like me to likes to play mainly with the chara I like.

As for summons, maybe they should mix FF10 and 13's style. You control the summons once summoned and hit buttons within 60secs in order to rack up damage or heal the summoners. Maybe the whole party summons at once and the 3 humans vanish, replaced by summons and the longer you can keep summons alive before they vanish the more the humans are healed when they return. If you do it perfectly, the humans are fully healed and have stats boosts. Would that be an improvement?