PS4, Aww F--k! Too Good to Look Away

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Which next gen console is to your liking?

• Total voters

Loki Darkstrom

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Jun 3, 2014
Valhalla
So, when I first saw the PS4 come out my reaction was, "Big f--king deal, I don't need one! I have all my favorites on the PS3. After sometime and a few game announcements, now I'm one of those who need one. As much as I love video games, I love a good story and of course good graphics. I've gotten at least five games up in my list for PS4

1. FINAL FANTASY XV
  2. KINGDOM HEARTS III
  3. TYPE-0 FINAL FANTASY
  4. THE RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER
  5. MIRROR'S EDGE 2
That's my list so far, but I'm pretty sure the more games I'm interested in, the bigger the list will be getting sooner or later. So anyone without a next gen console, which would you go for? I've always been a Sony person so I'm sticking to Playstation.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I'm looking forward to pretty much all of those. Doubt I'll play Mirror's Edge 2, though. Possibly when it's dirt cheap.

Sep 26, 2013
Personally, I don’t really care about the power difference between PS4 and XB1 as that’s not the reason why I buy the hardware in the first place. So things like 3rd party titles being better on PS4 then they are on XB1 means jack shit to me. They’re all going to be the same experiences so you can’t go wrong either way.

At the same time, I also see no reason to own both consoles as they pretty much offer the same content. Both platforms are getting the same games I want to play. So it all comes down to exclusives. Which console has the best exclusives?

So far, I think XB1 has the more interesting exclusives and PS4 seems to be playing it safe. I don’t put the two consoles far apart from each other though. Right now, I don’t think they are worth the investment until we’re deep into 2015.

Plan is to go with PS4 but I dunno. Not really thinking about it right now as most of the stuff I want is 2015 and beyond.

Azuardo

Keyblade Master
Sep 26, 2013
I own a PS4 and have never owned an Xbox console. Like Squirrel says, they offer mostly the same games so only the most dedicated of gamers who can afford them will buy both. All five of those games you listed are also on Xbox One, so it's really about what exclusives can potentially come from certain developers in the future. Certain JRPGs and stuff from Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Quantic Dream, etc are what tip me over to the PS side every time. And besides, I've always had PS consoles - it's just the system I feel most comfortable with after having one since the PS1 days. Xbox doesn't have as much that interests me, so I have and always likely will stick to PS consoles, with the current Nintendo system also always being picked up alongside them.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I'm one of those 'voted for both' people, since I bought both on day one.

To be honest, the place I stand is this: PS4 is certainly going to be the #1 choice for third party stuff I don't want to play on PC or that isn't available on PC. It also has Naughty Dog.

Beyond ND, the 1st party exclusives and studios of the Xbox brand interest me more, so that's why I'm all about both. :D

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
I couldn't afford the $500 of the Xbone just because it had a useless Kinect. Also, I was appalled by the crap Microsoft tried to pull through with the console, so I decided to go with the PS4.

KOKAYI5

Knight of Death
May 28, 2014
VIRGINIA
www.behance.net
I only play RPG and Action RPGs so I'm always gonna stick with Sony. They have a nice mix of mature and lighthearted games. Where as I find Xbox games to be too often geared towards dark and gritty and lots of shooting. And Wii to be too lighthearted or silly. As long as FFs, KHs, Tales are on Sony systems I'll stick with them. I play Dragon Age but only recently. I play Assassin's Creed games, but not with the dedication I would an RPG. I play Batman Arkham games, but... you get the point. And all of these can be found on Sony's PS4. Were they Xbox exclusive I'd be pissed but not heart-broken.

Shin Kazama

Sphere Hunter
UFFSite Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
I like both the XBO and the PS4... and the WiiU for those first-party Nintendo titles, of course. I'm with Squirrel Emperor on the XBO having better exclusives right now, but that's me. I wanted the system for Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Crimson Dragon. I suppose I could have waited on a PS4 since there was nothing I felt like I HAD to have right off, but I already knew I'd be playing Metal Gear Solid V on it so I went and ahead and got one at launch. I usually end up with all the consoles over time. Getting two at launch so close together was a first for me, though.

I share the same feelings as Wazi on some games just feeling strange to play on another system. I was playing the Metal Gear HD Collection on a friends 360 and it felt very awkward. Same for when I played Resident Evil games on my 360. I can't ever see myself playing Kingdom Hearts on and Xbox for some reason. I guess it's a mix of tradition, loyalty and a dash of fanboyism. I think I'm pretty neutral when it comes to consoles but I'd be lying if I said I weren't a little bit pro PlayStation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2014
Poland
Right now I don't really see any titles interesting enough for me to go and buy a next gen system. But there are many upcoming games which I'm dying to play (FF15, MGS V, The Witcher 3 and others), so I'm definitely getting one in the future. And which one? It's PS4 for me.
Almost all games I'm interested in are coming to both, but they're likely to look a little bit better on PS4 which is nice. I looked through both systems' exclusives and imho they're mostly meh. The only one that really picked my interest is Bloodborne and it's coming to PS4. I'm also counting on Sony's studios (Santa Monica, Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog etc) which are yet to announce their games.

I'll be lying if I claimed that I have no interest in the Xbox One. I am still very vexed at Microsoft the corporation as a whole for the shite it tried to pull last year with the DRM and the sheer reticence of its senior executives, namely Don Mattrick, but I can still appreciate how the post-Mattrick Xbox branch has worked to turn things round. The Kinect-less version of the console was a good, natural first start, even if it breeds repercussions for developers wishing to develop for the peripheral itself, and as the situation currently stands, the Xbox One exclusives are marginally more enticing than what is offered on the PS4.

Having never owned an Xbox console, and with Halo: Combat Evolved on PC being my only Halo experience, I'd love to own the Master Chief collection. Sunset Overdrive looks like a shooter I would be more than happy to support. Quantum Break, even if we've still seen little of it, looks like something I would pick up at impulse. I can't ignore a Platinum game, so I am naturally interested in Scalebound. Ori and the Blind Forest seems right up my alley, as does the new Crackdown, if I'm ever in a mood for mass property damage across an entire urban area, and for simple, dumb fun.

Despite that, if it comes down to one of the two, I will likely pick the PS4, as a longer-term product. As a long Sony customer for their consoles, there is certainly that natural disposition to lean towards PlayStation, helped by the familiarity with the DualShock controller, and the PSN/SEN ecosystem. Assuming the situation in Japan does not exponentially deteriorate, I expect Japanese studios to eventually find their way onto the PS4, and cement it as the characteristically more "Japanese" console of the two, unless Microsoft's new plan to court Japan somehow works well this time.

Additionally, PS4 will have Naughty Dog. There will be Guerrilla Games' new IP, which if the rumours are anything to go by, sounds very enticing. The Indie front makes up the bulk of the rest, particularly Abzu, No Man's Sky (also for PC, I know), Rime, and The Witness. Also, if I ever tire of the PS3 version of the game having substandard frame-rates, low animation, and woeful loading times, I can always upgrade to the PS4 version of FFXIV without much of a fuss, if I can't get the PC version.