Q&A with Shinji Hashimoto from Thailand Comicon 2014

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Springfield, Massachusetts
Well, as long you're prepared for it not showing up and don't start a rage. Then sure, why not? Like I said. I'm optimistic it will be shown at E3 2014. I just know it's no guarantee. ;)
Well, if I do rage, I don't do it over the internet, I never done that. I rage quietly to myself in disappointment :p.

Good news though, I get to play Drakengard 3 in 5 days! So that's nice!

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
When I heard his answer, at first I guessed I'll be surprised that he won't show anything at E3. (lol) :p
That would be hilarious. If a majority of people expect FFXV to be shown in this E3, then it'd make sense that they are "surprised" that it didn't show up. (Pardon my broken English if that didn't make much sense).

Eliotlienthal

Balamb Garden Freshman
Sep 27, 2013
You know what, if they didn't show anything new related to FFXV on E3 2014 I'll be REALLY upset! There's no excuse for not showing it! Last E3 they said they would be releasing new info in a steady pace and till now there's NOTHING! Until february Lightning Returns was still haunting us and getting all the attention and promotion, but now it's gone! FFXV is the main focus now and they need to start to promote it as soon as possible. I myself can't understand how this game still get such hype after 7 years in development, so the least Square-enix can do to please the fans and their support is to show new infos...new screenshots, new trailers, new characters, anything!

As I mentioned, now that XIII is over, my hopes for the next E3 are high as ever! Hope they don't disappoint us again T_T

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
You know what, if they didn't show anything new related to FFXV on E3 2014 I'll be REALLY upset! There's no excuse for not showing it! Last E3 they said they would be releasing new info in a steady pace and till now there's NOTHING! Until february Lightning Returns was still haunting us and getting all the attention and promotion, but now it's gone! FFXV is the main focus now and they need to start to promote it as soon as possible. I myself can't understand how this game still get such hype after 7 years in development, so the least Square-enix can do to please the fans and their support is to show new infos...new screenshots, new trailers, new characters, anything!

As I mentioned, now that XIII is over, my hopes for the next E3 are high as ever! Hope they don't disappoint us again T_T
Well they do have Bravely Second/ Curtain Call for the US/KH 2.5 Remix. However, they have 4 booths ( 1 gaming area/ 3 Meeting rooms). I also never seen them go to E3 without a FF title of some sort.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@Starlord I don't know anything for sure, but Nintendo may well have an option on Bravely Second that allows them to have first refusal on localization, meaning it wouldn't be a Square Enix game.

Also, keep in mind - the 3 meeting rooms are for things like meeting retailers and trying to get them to commit to buying games that are coming out this year - things like Theatrhythm Curtain Call or KH 2.5. The meeting rooms are teeny tiny. I've been going to E3 for years - this year is E3 #7 for me - and I've interviewed all manner of Square Execs there. FF boss Shinji Hashimoto, Kitase, Toriyama, Yoshida etc etc - I've never seen one of those meeting rooms personally. It all happens out back of the booth (where there are further meeting rooms).

My personal prediction is that this'll be like E3 2008 and 2009. E3 2008 was the year that apart from a re-run of a trailer we'd already seen, FF13 was absent from the show. The game showed up for a brief stage appearance at the MS conference, famously, but that was it. The show instead focused on a peppering of handheld titles and a few smaller AAA titles. In 2009, the game was again absent from the show floor, but there was a trailer. Kitase was on hand to demo the game behind-closed doors (where the frame rate was like molasses, seriously), but that was never shown to the public. He also did interviews. Honestly, I do think we'd be lucky to even get that this year.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
@Starlord I don't know anything for sure, but Nintendo may well have an option on Bravely Second that allows them to have first refusal on localization, meaning it wouldn't be a Square Enix game.

Also, keep in mind - the 3 meeting rooms are for things like meeting retailers and trying to get them to commit to buying games that are coming out this year - things like Theatrhythm Curtain Call or KH 2.5. The meeting rooms are teeny tiny. I've been going to E3 for years - this year is E3 #7 for me - and I've interviewed all manner of Square Execs there. FF boss Shinji Hashimoto, Kitase, Toriyama, Yoshida etc etc - I've never seen one of those meeting rooms personally. It all happens out back of the booth (where there are further meeting rooms).

My personal prediction is that this'll be like E3 2008 and 2009. E3 2008 was the year that apart from a re-run of a trailer we'd already seen, FF13 was absent from the show. The game showed up for a brief stage appearance at the MS conference, famously, but that was it. The show instead focused on a peppering of handheld titles and a few smaller AAA titles. In 2009, the game was again absent from the show floor, but there was a trailer. Kitase was on hand to demo the game behind-closed doors (where the frame rate was like molasses, seriously), but that was never shown to the public. He also did interviews. Honestly, I do think we'd be lucky to even get that this year.

I understand that, because at the time it was versus, and when they showed us that Trailer it was a matter of letting us know it's not dead "we are stil making the game". How the game is a Full fledged Mainline numbered FF game. That's treading different waters. Also taking into consideration that FFXV has been in development since 2006 ( yes most of it was done between 2011 and now) but nevertheless it's been along time, it's not like other FF games in which they took a decent amount of time. This FF game has been taking forever, in a situation like this they have to say "something".

Either way, I still believe FFXV will still be there at E3. I know Meeting rooms are the "interviewing room" of sorts Even so, 3 Meeting rooms is a lot, which makes me think FFXV will be there in some way or form ( even if it's just in the way of interviews).

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@Starlord Like I say, you need to discount the meeting rooms completely as Square doesn't use them for press interviews and such, at all. They're used by the sales team for retail negotiations and stuff, like where Gamestop will try to negotiate "ok, if we buy 50,000 more copies, will you knock a dollar off the cost for us" and so on.

However, my official prediction remains that it won't be at the show floor in any large capacity. Not interviews, not playable. If it ends up being there in video form is another question - that's much harder to predict, as that is easier for Square to throw together no matter where the game is it.

Despite the game having been in production for so long, it has of course had its problems, which effects the whole thing deeply! If they're having to do a significant rebuild for next-gen, that's a different thing. I think they spoke too soon last year when they said expect regular updates from here on out, because we're a year on and haven't really been updated at all.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
@Starlord Like I say, you need to discount the meeting rooms completely as Square doesn't use them for press interviews and such, at all. They're used by the sales team for retail negotiations and stuff, like where Gamestop will try to negotiate "ok, if we buy 50,000 more copies, will you knock a dollar off the cost for us" and so on.

However, my official prediction remains that it won't be at the show floor in any large capacity. Not interviews, not playable. If it ends up being there in video form is another question - that's much harder to predict, as that is easier for Square to throw together no matter where the game is it.

Despite the game having been in production for so long, it has of course had its problems, which effects the whole thing deeply! If they're having to do a significant rebuild for next-gen, that's a different thing. I think they spoke too soon last year when they said expect regular updates from here on out, because we're a year on and haven't really been updated at all.
Alright, lets forget the meeting rooms exist for a moment and focus on the booth the matters ( the game area). Last year they only have 1 booth as well and they managed to have FFXV in their booth ( Only the trailer) and still did interviews. Making guesses on "what they did with FFXIII" and now are different. SE knows FFXV has been in development for too long and I am sure they don't want to have delayed response updates, that will only piss off the fans even more.

Lets look at what we do know ( what SE has come to say):

"Please wait a little longer" ( Feb. 22nd, 2014)
"FFXV quite far into development, High priority within the company" ( Feb 13th, 2014)
"It's a secret, you'll be surprised" ( May 10th, 2014)

-Please wait a little longer from Feb 22nd till E3 is 4 months. In SE time frame that counts as a "little" lol.

- It's far into Development ( meaning at that point of time, the game is roughly 60-70% complete *definitely over 50%*), High priority within the company means most big AAA titles (aka KH3 etc :p) are under slow mode, and FFXV has been given it's full undivided attention ( Full steam ahead). 4 months from then given this statement they should be 70% to somewhat near complete ( personal opinion).

- "It's a secret, you'll be surprised" in the context of the question (Will you be at E3 this year). He doesn't want to reveal it will be there yet he "expects" us to be surprised. In a way I feel he didn't keep his secret too well considering he was asked a similar question with KH3 and only said " It's a secret". Meaning it's not ready to be talked about. When you add " You'll be surprised" to what he said he kinda gives it away that he'll be there at E3.

If FFXV isn't there I won't be upset about it ( I have Nintendo to look forward too with Smash/Zelda U/ Monolith's X/ Bayonetta 2) so not seeing FFXV at E3 would be disappointing but it won't bother me all to much because I have other games I am looking forward too. However, I personally feel with the information and strong hints that were provided. I feel confident that FFXV will be at E3 2014 this year.

Also, I believe this is the first time FFXV is being promoted outside of the normal areas ( like E3/Gamescon/Tokyo). Why start promotion of FFXV elsewhere? Doesn't that in itself suggest that they maybe starting a marketing campaign?

They at least 100% confirmed that FFXV will be at Comi-con in San Dieago ( july) and Tokyo Game show ( Sept.). A question that did rise to my head when seeing comi-con appear, Why would you skip the biggest gaming convention in the world to go to a small Comi con in San Dieago in July ( 1 month after E3). I would be entirely confused if they didn't attend E3. Especially after going to Comi-con in Thailand.

Going to Thailand to tell them about FFXV... then not showing up at E3 a month later...

Last edited:

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Alright, lets forget the meeting rooms exist for a moment and focus on the booth the matters ( the game area). Last year they only have 1 booth as well and they managed to have FFXV in their booth ( Only the trailer) and still did interviews. Making guesses on "what they did with FFXIII" and now are different. SE knows FFXV has been in development for too long and I am sure they don't want to have delayed response updates, that will only piss off the fans even more.

Lets look at what we do know ( what SE has come to say):

"Please wait a little longer" ( Feb. 22nd, 2014)
"FFXV quite far into development, High priority within the company" ( Feb 13th, 2014)
"It's a secret, you'll be surprised" ( May 10th, 2014)

-Please wait a little longer from Feb 22nd till E3 is 4 months. In SE time frame that counts as a "little" lol.

- It's far into Development ( meaning at that point of time, the game is roughly 60-70% complete *definitely over 50%*), High priority within the company means most big AAA titles (aka KH3 etc :p) are under slow mode, and FFXV has been given it's full undivided attention ( Full steam ahead). 4 months from then given this statement they should be 70% to somewhat near complete ( personal opinion).

- "It's a secret, you'll be surprised" in the context of the question (Will you be at E3 this year). He doesn't want to reveal it will be there yet he "expects" us to be surprised. In a way I feel he didn't keep his secret too well considering he was asked a similar question with KH3 and only said " It's a secret". Meaning it's not ready to be talked about. When you add " You'll be surprised" to what he said he kinda gives it away that he'll be there at E3.

If FFXV isn't there I won't be upset about it ( I have Nintendo to look forward too with Smash/Zelda U/ Monolith's X/ Bayonetta 2) so not seeing FFXV at E3 would be disappointing but it won't bother me all to much because I have other games I am looking forward too. However, I personally feel with the information and strong hints that were provided. I feel confident that FFXV will be at E3 2014 this year.

Also, I believe this is the first time FFXV is being promoted outside of the normal areas ( like E3/Gamescon/Tokyo). Why start promotion of FFXV elsewhere? Doesn't that in itself suggest that they maybe starting a marketing campaign?

They at least 100% confirmed that FFXV will be at Comi-con in San Dieago ( july) and Tokyo Game show ( Sept.). A question that did rise to my head when seeing comi-con appear, Why would you skip the biggest gaming convention in the world to go to a small Comi con in San Dieago in July ( 1 month after E3). I would be entirely confused if they didn't attend E3. Especially after going to Comi-con in Thailand.

Going to Thailand to tell them about FFXV... then not showing up at E3 a month later...
Sure enough! Even then, was FF15's presence at E3 last year significant? No, not really. Nomura did interviews for four Western outlets, and the trailers ran on the big screen at the stand. That was it. It seemed bigger than it was if you're watching from afar, of course, thanks to the conference appearance. In terms of showing a lot of game it wasn't significant, though. My argument is merely that I don't expect a bigger presence than that.

This actually isn't the first time they've 'shown' FF15 at events like this. The Taiwan expo thing is a fairly natural expansion for them. For instance, they showed up in Paris last year at a Comic Con - Hashimoto and Nomura - and showcased FF15 on-stage and played the trailers and took some questions, in exactly the same context. They did this at a few other European shows, too. Square Enix Europe actually invited me out there to Japan Expo, and it was there that I interviewed both Hashimoto and Nomura last year... my first time with Nomura, but about my fifth with Hashimoto! It's not a particularly surprising thing for them to show up like this, is all I'm saying.

Anyway, all that said - it'd be very foolish indeed of them to not show the game at all - I absolutely expect a trailer, a mixture of old footage and new footage - but I don't expect anything 'significant'. I don't really expect wide press interviews, and I don't even expect to see the game running live, leave alone hands-on. I also don't expect the game to be the focus of the show remotely. Square's booth is the smallest it's been since 2008 this year, and that's because they're having a quieter year in general. I do think the game'll show up, just not in a significant capacity.

I hadn't heard about Comic Con, though. What did they say?

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Ah. I wouldn't call that a confirmation of anything, myself. Like, Hashimoto turning up on stage and saying "please be excited" through a translator, as he's been doing at just about every major comic con in the last 12 months, isn't much to shout about!

Press have booked their appointments with Square now. At this time last year, for instance, we knew - under embargo - a new FF was going to be announced.

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
Ah. I wouldn't call that a confirmation of anything, myself. Like, Hashimoto turning up on stage and saying "please be excited" through a translator, as he's been doing at just about every major comic con in the last 12 months, isn't much to shout about!

Press have booked their appointments with Square now. At this time last year, for instance, we knew - under embargo - a new FF was going to be announced.
I don't know, saying something like " Through a translator, kinda makes this whole article pointless. lol Even a person from Japan, listened to the whole thing and typed it out.

http://www.ff-reunion.net/kh/2014/05/13/hashimoto_thai_comicon_intervew

When you put it under google translate, it's roughly the same thing.

(Question from the fan) Q · "at E3, Is there any new information of KH3 and FF15?"

"It's a secret" A · Hashimoto "(the E3) It is 2-3 months from now, it surprised would be (you please) You" seems to have said and clearly as "surprised" by the (※ here "It's not just in June And, San Diego Comicon, Tokyo Game Show, will continue in other even then.").

So I think it holds some legitimacy in the truth of the words.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
@Starlord All I mean by through a translator is just that when somebody like Hashimoto speaks on stage at an event like this, the translation is less literal (say he speaks at comic con, it's translated on the fly there and then into English for the audience, so is less representative), that's all. I wasn't casting the translation in this thread into doubt. I know it's correct.

Anyway, I'm just not expecting anything more than a trailer, that's all. And if that, likely chunks of it will be things we've seen before. What I'm saying is - if there was going to be a big showing, I do believe @Kagari and I would've felt the shockwaves rumbling up the grapevine, and they haven't been. Like, last year, going into Sony's conference, standing in line, we knew, definitively, definitely, what was happening. I wasn't 100% confident in it, but she was, to be fair to her. At this time last year, we knew. But I know that doesn't necessarily hold water on its own, obviously. They're just words.

Sep 26, 2013
As long as there is something at E3 I sure it will put some people at ease.
I’m sure it will put a certain group of FFXV fans at ease, as they’re going around treating that new Thailand Comicon footage as something significant when it's really not. Show the same trailer again but this time add 5 more seconds to a couple segments and they'll freak! ;)

Starlord

AVALANCHE Warrior
May 14, 2014
@Starlord All I mean by through a translator is just that when somebody like Hashimoto speaks on stage at an event like this, the translation is less literal (say he speaks at comic con, it's translated on the fly there and then into English for the audience, so is less representative), that's all. I wasn't casting the translation in this thread into doubt. I know it's correct.

Anyway, I'm just not expecting anything more than a trailer, that's all. And if that, likely chunks of it will be things we've seen before. What I'm saying is - if there was going to be a big showing, I do believe @Kagari and I would've felt the shockwaves rumbling up the grapevine, and they haven't been. Like, last year, going into Sony's conference, standing in line, we knew, definitively, definitely, what was happening. I wasn't 100% confident in it, but she was, to be fair to her. At this time last year, we knew. But I know that doesn't necessarily hold water on its own, obviously. They're just words.
I am not reporter or anything, but a company in particular doesn't have to say anything at all and have a big reveal/announcement right? It just so happens that SE told you that there was a new FF ( but that's all they said right?). Who knows, maybe they are just simply not saying anything this time around.

Well, there 24 days left till E3. I suppose will find out then. SE will be at E3 that much is confirmed, what they are showing is up in the air.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
I am not reporter or anything, but a company in particular doesn't have to say anything at all and have a big reveal/announcement right? It just so happens that SE told you that there was a new FF ( but that's all they said right?). Who knows, maybe they are just simply not saying anything this time around.

Well, there 24 days left till E3. I suppose will find out then. SE will be at E3 that much is confirmed, what they are showing is up in the air.
Well, one thing I never mind doing is giving an insight into the process.

So... an example I can give is that if they're going to promote a game and have interviews for it, they have to book people in. We have several (nearly double digit) appointments booked in for "unannounced game" from various publishers this year, for instance. Often in those cases they give us a vague hint, like "Oh, this is a new MOBA title" (Just a random example and not indicative of anything real/booked, can't stress that enough) so we know what we're approaching. Out appointments are also filled with closed-doors interviews and hands-on sessions for already-announced games, too, of course.

Going into last year, Square Enix didn't say to us "we're announcing Final Fantasy XV", but they invited us to the "Future of Final Fantasy" event that was taking place the morning after Sony's conference, and also scheduled us in for interviews/confirmed the presence of major FF staffers we knew were connected to what was at the time Versus. That coupled with leaks - people from various camps and companies telling us things we're not supposed to know - allowed us to put the pieces together and figure out FFXV was Versus and vice versa, and that it was going to be revealed at Sony's Conference. KH3 genuinely came as a surprise, though, for instance, because they didn't do any talk/interviews surrounding that - and the stuff they did do was masked behind KH1.5 - ie when they made bookings, they said it was for 1.5, but after the announcement they confirmed to press that, yes, you can ask about 3 too.

It's a combination of inferring from what you are told, and leaks from sources that you trust. We're lucky enough to have a smattering of people who we trust deeply when it comes to this stuff, and we're pretty consistently passed stuff even if we can't print it. A lot of the time it is inferred guessing. I would call my prediction well-informed, but it is still a prediction!