Summons in the Final Fantasy series

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
Oct 4, 2013
Indeed! And basically I would say that this "new" summoning features back then, made the already great combat system, just uncompetitive, and it still is in my opinion.
Would like to see something related to X or even the next step in FFXV? Like controling Bahamut for example during battle after he is being summoned?
I doubt it because of size and scale of summons like Leviathan. In Type-0, it was already hard to control some of large summons while XV will be automatically better because it doesn't use a zone system, I still think it might be impossible to control that kind of summons.

Personally, I prefer KH system which is a buff mode that change the characters' speed and add new attacks/finisher.

Since Final Fantasy VII seeing Bahamut in action always sends chills down my spine. Back then in 1997 summons were all about flashy (and usually very long) animations and to me it was showcase of what PSX was capable of. Ireally hope that FFXV will somehow blend summons into gameplay - I remeber the thrill of obtaining Knights of the Round, and using it once just to get annoyed by how long the animation was. The option to skip it was a godsent in later FFs.
Except, KotR is has 14 attacks with varying mid-high damage that is probably faster than issuing every character in the party for same amount of attacks.

Oct 4, 2013
Hmmm I agree! In FFXII summoning Espers didn't also take that long. In FFXIII the "skip" button was always there. Even if they would completely skip it though, I wouldn't mind. As long as they don't consume MP, which makes things limited, I don't mind for new features!
Good point :)
Summons should have their own gauge better.

fufatch

Balamb Garden Freshman
Oct 9, 2013
Poland
I doubt it because of size and scale of summons like Leviathan. In Type-0, it was already hard to control some of large summons while XV will be automatically better because it doesn't use a zone system, I still think it might be impossible to control that kind of summons.

Personally, I prefer KH system which is a buff mode that change the characters' speed and add new attacks/finisher.

Except, KotR is has 14 attacks with varying mid-high damage that is probably faster than issuing every character in the party for same amount of attacks.
Call me crazy, but I had more fun issuing the commands than watching KotR!

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
Call me crazy, but I had more fun issuing the commands than watching KotR!
Well KotR from VII, Eden from VIII, and Ark from IX were the summons that you could literally make a coffee, go to wc, call your friends until their animation ends. I must have used each one of them around 2-3 times in every playthrough and only during fighting hard bosses!

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
Summons are one of my ABSOLUTE most favorite things in Final Fantasy and have been since the very beginning for me.

The summon materias in FF VII were pretty cool and I loved the fact that there were 3 Bahamuts (since he is my most favorite summon) and I still remember how proud and in awe I was when I finally got Knights of the Round and summoned it for the first time. Unforgettable. I also always loved the fact that summons were taken from various different mythologies. Bahamut for instance is an arabian monster, Ifrit an oriental demon, Shiva is a hindu god, Odin is of course the King of the norse gods, Hades the greek lord of the underworld, Eden is the paradise from the bibel, Fenrir the king of werewolves from norse mythology, Leviathan a legendary beast from the bibel, Brynhyldr is a character from a germanic legend (the Nibelungen-Saga) and so on.

I also like that they try to make the summon system different in each FF. The Guardian Forces in VIII were a very cool idea cause the summon system became the very core of the entire battle system and also became part of the story which I really liked. And they had so many great GF in that game that as I remember really stunned me back then with their animations. Like Diablos, Leviathan with the water efects, Alexander, my favorite Bahamut and of course the almighty Eden (Again I was so proud when I finally beat Ultima Weapon and got him). I also liked that you had to battle some of them to obtain them, that was epic.

The use of summons in FF IX was even more amazing. gameplay-wise it was kept very simple this time (you just equipped an item and learned the summon) but the mythology of it was probably the best in the series yet. The Eidolons as they were called now (undoubtedly a reference to FF IV) were a MAJOR part of the story now and during the story you even saw several of them in CG cutscenes (When Odin destroyed you-know-what I was stunned) and Bahamut and Alexander even clashed in an epic confrontation.

I also liked the fact that no everyone could summon this time around but due to story reasons only Dagger and Eiko were able to do that and they were both unique summoners because Dagger couldnt summon Eikos Eidolons and vice versa. I really liked that, though it made it also very difficult to decide which one of them to include in the final party. Eiko had the amazing Maduin (and was able to cast Holy) - one of my most favorite summons ever that is so beyond epic - while Dagger had my most favorite Bahamut and was the more superior healer. Tough Decision indeed.

However by far my most favorite summoning system (no surprise there) was in FF X. That was just so damn perfect in every way. Only one character (again due to story reasons) could summon this time and there were less summons than in previous game but damn they were probably one of the most impressive things in the entire game. and also more important gameplaywise then in VII or IX. I loved this whole concept of summoning an Aeon (as they were called now) and then instead of doing its thing and vanishing again, you could control it like a character now. You could attack, cast magic, protect yourself - and the familiar special attacks they had from previous games were now Overdrive attacks they could use just like the characters could use theirs. Then you also could make your Aeon stronger and teach him new powerful skills and spells. and the higher Yunas magic stats were, the more damage the Aeon would inflict with magic and overdrive attacks. Which is why I focused early on boosting Yunas magic stats as much as possible until she was a far more powerful black mage then Lulu.

Then of course the fact that you could raise the damage limit to a might 99.999 for an Aeon if you found and improved a certain celestial weapon though Bahamut, Anima and the Magus Sisters already have that damage limit from the start. Aeons also became a strategic element, particularly in the Dark Aeon battles when you had to use Aeons as shield. This is even a must if you wanted to survive Dark Bahamuts Impulse-Megaflare double attack.

And Aeons were much like the Eidolons in IX a major part of the story (FF X is probably the FF with the most summon-focused storyline) which I really loved. The whole mythology of the Aeons and the Fayth and how that was later connected to beating SIN for good and triggering the tragic break up of Tidus and Yuna - it was so great. The mythology, story and gameplay system of the summons was another huge factor why FF X is my most favorite game in the world until this day. It was just perfect in almost every way.

Unfortunately the same cant be said for FF XII. The summon animations were strangely unspectacular for a lot of the Espers and I was REALLY upset that all the traditional summons (among them my favorite Bahamut) had been replaced by bosses and beings from the Nintendo-era FFs, that I really felt no great connection to. gameplay-wise I was also not a fan of the Esper system. The fact that they were there but you couldnt really control them and that they vanished after some time. Some of them like Ultima, Chaos and Zodiark were pretty badass though (and the Zodiark battle was probably one of the hardest FF battles of my life) but altogether this was by far the weakest summon-system yet in the series for me.

The Eidolon-system in XIII was a big improvement (at least to me). Every character had their own summon which I thought was a very cool idea because it bonded them in a way to a specific summon. The summon animations were very amazing. Again you couldnt really control them at first when they fought at your side but after you transformed them into their Gestalt Mode (which I thought was a pretty fresh and cool idea) you could freely choose their special attacks and had all the time in the world to do so and their familiar Super-attacks could be used as powerful finishers. That was a very cool concept which reminded me a bit of FF X. Not to mention the fact that it was so great to finally have Bahamut and co. back as summons. I also loved the return of Odin (who hadnt been a summon since FF IX) but missed Ifrit.

But contrary to what some players said the Eidolons in XIII actually could also be used as a very integral strategic element. Because after an Eidolon left, the entire party was healed. Therefore an Eidolon could serve as a last minute "Phoenix effect" which became actually quite important during some of the post-story battles for me.

Also again I loved how in IX and X they became a part of the story and the CG cutscene where the characters fight side by side with their Eidolons in Eden is probably one of the most spectacular, amazing and favorite Final Fantasy-scenes of all time. Like the Aeons I also missed Eidolons in XIII-2 and I know they wont appear in Lightning Returns which I find quite a bummer. Why does SE always remove them from sequels? *sigh*

And now Final Fantasy XV. I am really really excited which summons will be in it, how they will look like, what part they will play in the story and how their gameplay will be like. We know Leviathan will be in there and he will be one of the most powerful summons. I love not only the fact that for the first time since FF IX (in offline FFs) Leviathan returns as a summon but also that in XV there is a "ranking system" for summons ,thats pretty cool. they will probably be called Eidolons as well (seeing as FF XV still is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology). I cant wait to see what bahamut will look like.

I disagree with some of the previous comments in this thread though. I DEFINITELY want to see some amazing, spectacular, blow-your-mind summon sequences when they appear. Especially with a next gen FF. The visually awe-inspiring summon animations and their special attack animations is what I love about the summons. I am always excited to see that for the first time. I am fine if they implement a function where you can shorten the animation or even turn it off but for me these summon/attack animations are the heart and soul of the FF-summons and they cant and shouldnt be sacrificed - not even in an Action RPG style gameplay. or especially not in such a gameplay. It makes it versatile and different if it not only faced paced action all the time but if you have different elements to it. I dont wanna summons just pop up, attack and vanish within a few seconds and without all of that visual splendor of their animations. The summon system has always been something really epic and cinematic to me and I definitely want them to keep that. especially on PS4 it would be a waste if they wouldnt use that new technology to give us the most stunning summon sequences in FF history.

Aethergoggles

Stiltzkin's Apprentice
Sep 30, 2013
Aylesbury, UK
Have always loved the summons, with Alexander as my all time favourite, especially his IX appearance, I so wished you could get him. After seeing how badass odin looked in XIII I had high hopes for him in that... but was so disappointed with the golem we got.

X's system probably was my favourite too, as well as XIII's

Chaos

PSICOM Soldier
Sep 27, 2013
Oregon
chaos1950.tumblr.com
Shiva was always my favorite. I love ice magic and ice based abilities, so I was instantly drawn to Shiva. One of my favorite stories for her though comes from the Vana'diel Tribune of Final Fantasy XI.

It's sort of a long read so I'll throw it under a spoiler tag. copied from the FFXIclopedia.

The Ice Queen Shiva-
A Tragedy of Treason

[[{{SUBST:The Ice Queen Shiva-A Tragedy of Treason}}| ]]

Long, long ago in the southern regions of Vana'diel lived a solitary queen who reigned over a tiny kingdom. This queen was named Shiva. Following the will of her mother, she became the sovereign of her country at the age of 15. Due to her youth, however, she was placed under the tutelage of her uncle, the Duke. From the very start, this arrangement plunged the kingdom into terrible anxiety.

In spite of this, the young Shiva, who had been seen disparagingly as a simple marionette lacking independent thought and free will, was a prodigy in both the realms of diplomacy and the battlefield. In the face of the unreasonable demands of empires far greater than her kingdom she debated with the utmost ingenuity; in times of war, she fought alongside her forces on the front lines, giving them a sense of unrivaled encouragement. It was for these very reasons that she became ingrained in the memories of the people as the most brilliant ruler of her dynasty.

Several years passed. Her wisdom and the prosperity it brought to her people further spread throughout the continent, bringing in flocks of merchants and artisans within the castle walls. The name of Queen Shiva was heard even in the farthest regions of the world, and at this time, not even the most powerful monarchs easily dared to overthrow what was known as The Great House of Shiva.

Everyone in kingdom came to be truly grateful for Shiva's rise to the throne. With the exception of a handful of the noblesse.

Worrying over their gradual loss of influence and wealth, they sought to consult the Duke, whose place as Shiva's official guardian and tutor had not been completely forgotten.

To the Duke, their sense of dissatisfaction was a very convenient thing indeed. In all truth, from the very instant of the late queen's death, his heart became deeply filled with an ambition for the seizure of kingdom's throne.

Becoming the guardian of the then-inexperienced queen, he had hoped to place the control of the country in his hands behind her back; however, despite his intentions and the pre-conceived notions of the upper aristocrats, Shiva was a sagacious and tactful ruler. As a result of her growing popularity, even his lofty position as the kingdom's Duke had become endangered.

Upon gaining the support of the noblemen, Shiva's uncle contracted a secret alliance with the neighboring empires, and thus completed his meticulous plan to surround Shiva in a deadly political triangle.

The coup-d'état succeeded all too easily.

Betrayal and usurpation by the man she had embraced with her utmost trust was completely unexpected by Shiva. By the time she understood what was being done to her, her Uncle, who sat on the gilded throne while grinning in a demonic fashion, made his first decree as the kingdom's sovereign: Shiva would be banished to the Northlands. In truth, the wicked Duke, despite his deepest wishes, dared not order Shiva's execution due to her state of high esteem amongst the people; thus, her quiet and frigid death in the Northlands was seen by him as the easiest way to accomplish his goals without provoking public uproar.

The tragedy thus continued.

In reality, the empire that contributed the most to the success of rebellion was even cleverer. As soon as the Queen had departed, the imperial century that had been under the command of the Duke began to plunder the city in a wild frenzy, refusing to listen to the Duke's futile orders for restraint.

Upon seeing this, the nobles' opinion of the Duke's competence faded, and it was not long before chaos within the court erupted. All along, the empire had waited for this opportunity. The army seized the castle, arresting the royal house, bringing the country to its knees. In a short week, the tiny kingdom that had been so lovingly adored was no more, reborn under the flag of the Great Southern Empire.

The Duke was killed in a short execution thereafter and the small remnants of the Kingdom's soldiers, having lost both their ruler and mother country, scattered. One of Shiva's loyal subjects, the general Aeomatra, however, had the idea of leading out a rescue party to the artic regions to save their Queen.

Despite their determination, their Southern ways were their weakness. Unaccustomed to the frigid glaciers, the party faced many difficulties and one after another, the soldiers that had so yearned for Shiva slowly froze to death.

Finally, Aeomatra and 10 of the remaining soldiers came to discover their queen.

However, what they had found was a breathtaking yet saddening sight. Sleeping eternally, frozen in a crystal of ice, was the great Shiva.

With their last bits of strength, they drew their swords from their scabbards and shouted cries of their allegiance. And in those few moments they drew their last breaths, shouting aloud:

"Even if we become frozen in ice, we shall remain forever loyal to our Queen! If only the dreaded empires of the south would feel our vengeance for their sinful acts!"

Sometime afterward, hail began to fall inexplicably in the lands of the Southern Empire. Some time passed, and amongst the people it became rumored that this hail was a form of Shiva's vengeance.

Year by year, the blizzards became stronger. The Southern Emperor, rightfully fearful of Shiva's vengeance, ordered the erection of a shrine in the name of Shiva, as suggested by one of his vassals.

The Goddess Altana, watching the tragedy of Shiva's kingdom from above and the Emperor's decision to reform his traitorous ways, descended to the Artic and quelled the aura of fury cast upon the Northlands by the curse of the frozen knights--the rage that could be felt on every bitter squall disappeared, returning the perpetual snowfall of the region to a sense of silent harmony. The Goddess then called Shiva to the celestial plane, where she could watch over and protect her kingdom forevermore.

And since that time, hail has never come to fall in the Southern Lands.

Sep 26, 2013
I like the Crusader Esper from FFVI. It's basically a "Fuck you all" spell as it damages everyone on screen.

When you think of what the Esper is all about... The Japanese version of the summon was called "Jihad." Jihad means "to struggle in the way of Allah" and is commonly used term for "Holy War."

In other words, there's religious conflict and in a destroyed world where Kefka becomes a god, you're going to get a lot of that. From the Tower of Fanatics (Kefka worshipers) to those disobeying Kefka himself and destroying their town. The survivors of the apocalypse have been given a second chance at life and are trying to find a new purpose. The struggle to find it will most likely involve questioning their religious beliefs

I think the Crusader Esper symbolizes that.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
The term "Crusader" has religious ties to since it could be derived from the Crusades (the wars between christians and muslims) but well religion is a very delicate subject and I did have some very delicate debates about it in the past. Also one of my best friend is a muslim who would have great issues with you associating the term Jihad so closely with Holy War, which is something the extremists like to do but the rather peaceful muslims frown upon. Trust me, I had that debate.

So I think its better we leave subjects like religion at the door. It can get really messy.

Kaimi

Yevonite
Oct 10, 2013
Poland
I adore Shiva from Final Fantasy X. No other summon impressed me enough to become my favourite more than FFX Shiva. I guess its thanks to her design and quite nice summoning and Diamond Dust animations.

Still, the return to Eden from Final Fantasy XIII is where summons in the Final Fantasy really shine in my opinion. I am always in awe whenever I watch that cutscene; not even Alexander vs. Bahamut from Final Fantasy IX gives me those chills.

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I adore Shiva from Final Fantasy X. No other summon impressed me enough to become my favourite more than FFX Shiva. I guess its thanks to her design and quite nice summoning and Diamond Dust animations.

Still, the return to Eden from Final Fantasy XIII is where summons in the Final Fantasy really shine in my opinion. I am always in awe whenever I watch that cutscene; not even Alexander vs. Bahamut from Final Fantasy IX gives me those chills.
While my all time favorite is FF X Bahamut (he is the king of badass!), I really agree about the Siege of Eden cutscene. Absolutely hands down the greatest summons-moment in the entire series and one of the greatest FF-moments of all time to me. That scene alone is worth every flaw in the game.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2013
The term "Crusader" has religious ties to since it could be derived from the Crusades (the wars between christians and muslims) but well religion is a very delicate subject and I did have some very delicate debates about it in the past. Also one of my best friend is a muslim who would have great issues with you associating the term Jihad so closely with Holy War, which is something the extremists like to do but the rather peaceful muslims frown upon. Trust me, I had that debate.

So I think its better we leave subjects like religion at the door. It can get really messy.
Then don't make it messy...

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
I wont but you only need one person in here who is a very religious muslim and he reads things like "Jihad" means Holy War and I guarantee that things will get messy. Just be more careful of these delicate things. I know forums where its not even allowed to talk about religious things (except for specificallly created threads) for that reason.

Sep 29, 2013
I love summons, i think it would be cool if they made a Final Fantasy game where the summons are the main characters.

Main good guys: Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Alexander
Main bad guys: Bahamut/Odin/Atomos/Diablo

Leon Aether

ShinRa SOLDIER
Sep 26, 2013
Corfu, Greece
I love summons, i think it would be cool if they made a Final Fantasy game where the summons are the main characters.

Main good guys: Ifrit/Shiva/Ramuh/Alexander
Main bad guys: Bahamut/Odin/Atomos/Diablo
That's a great idea actually!!! I would really love a game featuring these guys. A story about their existence and how did they decide to aid humans... Okay! Controlling Ifrit or Leviathan in their current form would be a bad idea, but what if the protagonists were in human form and they could change in their Eidolon form during battle? Like a limit break or something! Hahahaha! OMG! We must create a petition to send to SE! I'm thrilled! :D

Omegaflare

AVALANCHE Warrior
Sep 28, 2013
Oldenburg, GERMANY
That's a great idea actually!!! I would really love a game featuring these guys. A story about their existence and how did they decide to aid humans... Okay! Controlling Ifrit or Leviathan in their current form would be a bad idea, but what if the protagonists were in human form and they could change in their Eidolon form during battle? Like a limit break or something! Hahahaha! OMG! We must create a petition to send to SE! I'm thrilled! :D
LOL actually I already had such an idea over 10 years ago, when I created my "own" concept of a FF game (just for fun) and came up with a gameplay idea where the characters instead of summoning Eidolons would turn into them and you would control them similarly to FF X. So I beat you to that idea over a decade ago xD

When I saw that Caius turned into Chaos Bahamut in XIII-2 I was like "hey thats my idea!" :p