Type-0 Translation Patch finally Cease & Desist lettered

Members see less ads - sign up now for free and join the community!

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

APZonerunner

Network Boss-man
Administrator
UFFSite Veteran
Site Staff
Jul 25, 2013
Solihull, UK
www.rpgsite.net
Unlucky, guys. Was never gonna last, I guess. The fan translation patch for the PSP version of the game is being yanked.

You know I normally use blog posts for relevant information only, such as project announcements or releases. However, I’m sorry this time it’ll be a little bit different:

Unfortunately I’m forced to remove my posts and pages related to the popular Final Fantasy Type-0 fan translation project. That’s right, certain game company thinks that threats and false accusations are the way to treat its biggest fans. For the time being I can’t answer questions related to this matter, but I’ll write a more comprehensive post about all this once I get the chance.

I hope you understand, and as always I appreciate your support (that I might need more that ever in the near future). Thank you very much:

~Sky
http://www.skybladecloud.net/type-0-translation-patch-unavailable/

yeah_93

Warrior of Light
Sep 27, 2013
Venezuela
It was to be expected. Frankly, I'm surprised they waited this much. Then again, I don't know much about situations like this, so maybe I'm wrong.

Joshua

Sphere Hunter
Oct 7, 2013
California
Unfortunate, but I completely understand the motivations behind doing this - especially after reading some of the more insightful posts in the GAF thread on this (Sky may have been distributing some of the game files within the patch?)

Jenova

Keyblade Master
Oct 28, 2013
I wonder why SE waited for so long? This is seems to be kinda redundant after the fact. The patch is already out there and I'm positive that others will distribute it in the Team's stead.

Jun 7, 2014
Poland
They're remaking the entire game, isn't that better? Why would you want to play it on a PSP with terrible resolution?
What I meant was that blocking fan translation would be more justified if they were making an official localization. The game was originally released on PSP and there are many PSP owners who wanted to play it but couldn't due to a language barrier. Now they have to move to a different system to play what was supposed to be a PSP game.

Personally I'm not into handheld gaming so it doesn't really bother me that much, but I still believe SE could have turned a blind eye to Sky's patch and just leave it.

Oct 5, 2013
"The Square representative asked Sky to sign an NDA, and they talked extensively over the next few weeks, though Sky could not tell me anything about those conversations or even acknowledge that they had happened. It's my understanding that from Square Enix's end, the conversations were friendly and casual, and representatives for the publisher saw legal action as a last resort."
I don't have a GaF account, but I'd like to know how Jason came to this conclusion?

If Sky was under NDA, then he couldn't have obtained the info from him (he mentions as much), and yet he somehow implies that he -knows- the nature of the talks?

Clearly there's something not adding up, since beforehand Sky says the following:
SkybladeCloud said:
"That's right, [publisher Square Enix] thinks that threats and false accusations are the way to treat its biggest fans."
Either Sky is lying or the tone of the article is intended to be a " Devil's Advocate" without good reason beyond Jason's understanding---which we know not how he came to it, because he doesn't explain.

I've been keeping up with this, but so far I've just seen lots of opinions thrown around and lots of sentiments without rationality.

Can we get the full story before jumping to conclusions on who to place the blame?

LeonBlade

Administrator
Administrator
Site Staff
Oct 25, 2013
Blossvale, New York
I still believe SE could have turned a blind eye to Sky's patch and just leave it.
Not really in their best interests to do that. This fan translation could seriously hurt the profitability of the HD release. Without an official translation, you can't be too sure that things aren't mistranslated which could do a lot of bad things for the game once people get their hands on it. Localization isn't just about making things understandable, it's about making things relatable as well with the culture of the language to make the dialogue understandable on many levels.

With the HD release coming out sometime in the future, SE can't risk players getting the wrong impression about the game and potentially altering the potential sales of the game.

As for the hostility sensed in Sky's wording, it's likely that he's just mad that he spent all this time on it and has to pull the plug and is taking it personally. Usually this wouldn't be an issue with other games, but this situation is touchy, I understand fully why SE would do this.

Sep 26, 2013
Not surprised really. Just another business protecting their property from individuals who think they can get away with it.

There was really no need for this localization project to begin with. They've been working on it ever since it came out in Japan. Things went snail pace at one point but it's not hard to see why. PSP is dead, PSVita is dead, remasters on PS3 require to be bundled with another title, doesn't target the 3DS and Wii/Wii U demographic, XB360 isn't where the Final Fantasy fan base is. Not many options really so they had to wait a bit.

cosmicblizzard

Some author guy
Oct 1, 2013
New Jersey
www.amazon.com
I'm surprised it took so long. Square have always gotten on stuff like this as soon as they could. Crimson Echoes, the Chrono Trigger fangame was shut down before it was completed, setting a precedent as far as C&Ds go considering a romhack had never been hit with one before.